News: Blanche / wheelchair to donate *PIC*

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Sbee

Re: News: Blanche / wheelchair to donate

Post by Sbee »

she's having me send measurements. it is, by far, one of the best presents ever.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Dear Sarabeth,

I received a Christmas greetings from Eddies Wheels with their invoice/receipt this morning. So I suppose Ellie's cart has been finished and is en route to you ?

Can't wait to hear from you. How's Ellie been doing lately?

Winnie
Sbee

Post by Sbee »

Oh, Winnie! That's so exciting! I hadn't heard from them...I didn't know that it was done!

Ellie's doing better in little ways. She's really got the scooting thing down and is able to get down the front stairs now. She's still pretty bummed, but I expect that to change when she's able to zip around on her new wheels. i'll be sure to get lots of pictures.

You've not only changed her life with this generous gift, but also ours. We've had a year of illness, furnace repairs, and failing cars. This brings us great hope.

~S
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Dear Sarabeth,

I am not sure if the cart is finished. I think Beth and Weeble had to wait for quite some time for the cart to arrive.

True Beth?

You may want to check with Leslie. I made that guess because if they could confirm the shipment fee, then perhaps they have already got it done.

I am just as excited as you are !

It's certainly good news to hear that Ellie's conditions are improving!! I told all my friends in my Christmas message that I have given the best gift thus far in my life. A friend asked me to send you her three cheers for not giving up on Ellie despite her mobility problem.

I'd say we should send EVERYONE here on this board three cheers for not giving up on our disabled companions !! You guys are great !!

We do not know what's in store for us in 2006, but there's always hope.

Here's to wish you, Ellie and family an adventurous new year.

love,
Winnie
Sbee

Post by Sbee »

oh geez, you just made me cry! you are the sweetest person!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Dear Winnie,

Three cheers to *you* for working to ensure that the wheelchair Blanche never got to use will help a dog who needs it. I felt sorry every time you wrote about your efforts to find a local dog who needed it, where it might also raise awareness. It must have been very depressing to encounter such lack of interest--I think what you were trying to do was great.

I can tell you a funny story that might help a little. My father was a very intelligent person, but not always open to suggestion. In later years I learned that if I would suggest something, and suggest it again, and suggest it again, that would get me nowhere and I would drop it. However, about 2 years later my father would come up with the very same idea (I honestly believe he thought it was his) and then he would do it.

You planted a lot of seeds with every vet clinic or shelter you called, offering to donate the wheelchair. Just the oddity of the fact that "some lady" called them trying to donate a wheelchair (!) is going to stick in their minds. Possibly in a couple of years a dog will come along at one of these clinics or shelters that they will want to save, and the idea of a wheelchair that you planted in their corporate memory will surface, and this time they'll go for it. They will get one for that first dog, and the rest will be history. I think you did what you could and it *wasn't* wasted. Now your chair will certainly do some good. Three BIG cheers for you! :)
Jean

Post by Jean »

Dear Winnie, I know that your baby is looking down from heaven is so proud of her mommy. You are such a generous person.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Dear Carol,

Thanks for the encouraging words. Critters also said I would not know where those calls would lead to some day.

I don't know about the States, but in Hong Kong, some people abandon their pets for the most ridiculous reasons -- no time to take care of them; the dog breed is no longer trendy (!!!!) btw, the latest trend is French bull dog, or so I heard, 2005's is brownish toy poodle; the colour or build or height or what not is not up to standard. I was surfing the website of a dog shelter the other day, a St. Bernard was abandoned becasue his owner doesn't want him to scratch the new paint of the refurbished flat !!!

That I couldn't find any disabled dogs to benefit is therefore not too surprising. I cannot imagine how many people would be willing to keep, let alone take care of, a disabled pet.

Still, as you guys said, we shouldn't give up that easily. It's a long road, and I still hope that some day, the seeds that I planted earlier would not be wasted.

Oh, and three BIG cheers to Eddies Wheels too! Remember it's not a finished cart that I am donating, but a tailor-made one for Ellie. These people are true animal lovers !!

Winnie
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

They should be tears of joy, Sarabeth, knowing how Ellie's life would change with a chair.

Praise the Lord for it's Him who brought me to this group.

Winnie
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I feel sure your seeds will sprout. I've seen some change around here, although not enough, and there wasn't nearly as far to go, either.

If you hang around here, you never know when a like-minded person will show up from Hong Kong, and you'll be able to set more ripples in motion, like a rock in the water.
Sbee

Post by Sbee »

Winnie! We picked up the wheelchair this morning from FedEx (we're going out of town and couldn't wait for delivery!). She was a little shy about her new chair, but started zooming about in no time. It fits her to a t. We got in from our first walk and now she's tooling around the house.

I haven't seen her this happy in a long time. I'll get you pictures as soon as I can. We're going out of town, so it may be a few days.

Wheeeeeee!
Sbee

Post by Sbee »

She's raising awareness in Kentucky, too. I don't think I've ever seen a wheelchair around here.

Many people suggested that we put Ellie down, and it wasn't until we got the chair this morning that I really knew that I had made the right decision. I can't wait to take her to the pet store and show her off!
CarolC

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

Post by CarolC »

She loves it? That's wonderful!!!!! Happy dog!!!
critters
Founding Member

That's the spirit!!

Post by critters »

Don't forget to take pics for us!! :)
Winnie

Re: News: Ellie and her new chair

Post by Winnie »

Dear Sarabeth,

Yippie!!!! Isn't it wonderful !?
I can't wait to see the pics!!
If you don't mind, can you send the pics to my email address ? It's cms33@netvigator.com
I would like to forward them to my family and friends. Thanks a lot.

CONGRATS Ellie !!!!!!!!!

Winnie