Amputation: update

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Tam

Amputation: update

Post by Tam »

I posted back at the earlier post 11/21 but decided to try a new post also. Hope that is ok. Sam is now standing on the three legs. He tries to hop, but doesn't maintain firmness in the rear leg, so he isn't walking on his own. Doing some steps-one or two- with the sling. Any hope here? THanks Tam
Tam

Re: Amputation: update

Post by Tam »

Would also appreciate any suggestions for exercising the rear leg to possibly enable him to lift himself up at some point.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Good idea to move the post up here; since new posts don't "float" the thread, it's very easy for stuff way down below to get overlooked.

Do you have an amputee walking aid? If might help until the necessary strength has been built up. It'll come! Maybe you can invent some games to make rehab fun; my Tripod, as a young kitten, loved to play ping pong in the bathtub; the ball rebounded itself, making it fun for her to regain her strength and coordination.
Tam

Post by Tam »

I made a sling of sorts that is not the best thing and we walk in the yard-he will move forward quickly if a treat is placed in front of him and I have been doing that-however he relies on the sling mainly. I ordered a rear end harness from this site, but it got lost by UPS, so I don't have it yet. I am hoping it will make it easier for us to practice.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Tam!

Something that might help to execise the rear leg would be to do some resistance exercises while he's lying down.

If you see him lying comfortably with his leg out where you can reach it, tickle his foot or dig your fingers in between his paw pads and see if he'll kick. It works with my dog. If he kicks, this exercises the muscle.

Also, with my dog I can press my palm against the bottom of her foot and she will stiffen her leg and push back.

Here is a message from Cindy describing how to do bounces. My dog's physical therapist showed me how to do this with my dog, and even though I was mostly supporting her while bouncing her hips, it was supposed to build muscle. Just squat down beside him, put him in standing position (I know you can't lift him, don't try, it isn't necessary for this) and steady him, then gently press on his hips and let him resist however much he will. You may have to have one hand under his abdomen to keep him up, while the other presses down on his hips, that's what I had to do with my dog.

<a href="http://www.handicappedpets.com/cgi-bin/ ... 2">Cindy's message</a>

Yes, I think there is hope. He's recovering a little more from his surgery every day. He's a little better every day even if he looks much the same. Good idea about the treats! ;)

That's extremely frustrating about the harness not arriving yet, grrr! Hang in there!!!
SoniaMM

Post by SoniaMM »

Hello from Spain! My dog Duna was abandoned when she was 2 months old to die in the street. She had only three legs. One of her back legs was inexplicably amputeed. Now Duna is two years old and is happy. But she has difficulties to walk and run so she is gonna use a wheelchair when she will be tired. I hope this will be beneficial for her.
SoniaMM

Duna´s pic *NoMsg* *PIC*

Post by SoniaMM »

CarolC

Re: Duna´s pic

Post by CarolC »

Hi Sonia,

Duna is a pretty girl! She has a sweet face. :) Have you decided where you will get the wheelchair for her? There are many companies that make wheelchairs for dogs.

You might like to join a group for handicapped animals call El Club de Kat. The person who started the group lives in Spain and often visits this message board and tells us about the injured animals she helps. Here is the link, so you can see the group:

<a href="http://groups.msn.com/ElClubdeKat">El Club de Kat</a>
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Sonia,

Today someone else is writing about their dog who must have a leg amputated. The person writing the message is Francisco in Bogota, Colombia. Perhaps you can tell him about your dog, since your dog is the same. Here is his message:

<a href="http://www.handicappedpets.com/cgi-bin/ ... 3">Mensaje de Francisco</a>
SoniaMM

Post by SoniaMM »

Hi Carol!

I met Debbie and her sweet "Bombón" personally in Barcelona months ago. We are friends and we speak sometimes by phone. She is a great girl and "Bombón" is very nice :-)!

Here in Spain there is not an animal culture. For the present is very difficult to see a wheelchair for dogs at the street.

We are gonna receive our wheelchair from DoggonWheels UK in two days more or less. I think it´s gonna be a good help for her.

I will put here Duna´s pics in the wheelchair. Hughs. Sonia.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Great pic!! What a happy girl! Glad you know Debbie; she often talks about how difficult it is to have a disabled critter in Spain, so you all could help each other.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Cool! Will look forward to seeing the pictures of her in the wheelchair. Doggon' is a good one. :)
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Hi Sonia,

Such a wonderfully pretty girl !!

Winnie