Amputation: Rear left leg

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Francisco

Amputation: Rear left leg

Post by Francisco »

Hello,

Last week I rescued a small female dog (about 3-4 months old, 8 pounds) that was crashed by a car. It broke her two rear legs and one of them is going to be cut due to the severity of the injuries. The vet says that no prothesis would work for her.
I would like to know how should I handle it. Should I put her to sleep? Or is it possible to provide her with at least something similar to a normal life given these conditions?
Regarding the wheelchairs or carts, are they adjustable as the animal grows? What is the most common type of device or aparatus for this kind of problem?

Thank you very much for your advice.

Francisco,
Bogota Colombia.
SoniaMM

Re: Amputation: Rear left leg *PIC*

Post by SoniaMM »

Ok. I have the same case. I found Duna left to die at the street when she was only two months old. She was amputee of a rear leg. Now she is two years old and she is very happy. Here you are A Duna´s pic. All this time she was able to walk without help but now we decided to get a wheelchair of DoggonWheels for her to be more comfortable whe she is tired or running (cause she runs a lot, she is a bit crazy!). Please, mail me at my mail dammarah@yahoo.es. We are from Spain. We can speak about it and I will try to help you with our experience.

critters
Founding Member

Re: Amputation: Rear left leg

Post by critters »

There is NO reason to put the baby to sleep. I have 2 tripods (amputees-1 by birth, 1 by surgery), and both are wonderful. If you decide to try a cart, you can use a temporary, adjustable cart while the baby is growing, then get a permanent one at the end. With both legs broken, you might need to use something anyway, for rehab purposes, much like a walker. We can post homemade ideas for you if you would like.
SoniaMM

Post by SoniaMM »

And this is a Duna´s pic being puppy :-). She was very ill for the infection and she was very sad but now Duna is a very very very happy girl!

Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Sonia,

Duna is a beautiful dog! I'm so glad that you were able to work with her problems and have such a happy dog. There are MANY stories on this site about amputees having a happy life in a wheelchair, or without. Her older picture shows a smiling, happy dog!

Dianne
Francisco

Post by Francisco »

Sonia, Critters and Dianne,

Thank you thousands for your quick and supportive answers. I went to the vets office today and authorized the amputation. The doctor told me it was necessary and urgent as the injuries were so bad and infectious.

I will accept your offer and guide about how to handle the new condition of Maya (that´s the name I gave her). The other rear leg is still having problems as it was broken too, but the doctor says there is a good probability of recovery in good shape.

I´ll post a picture of her when I have it available.

Thank you thousands again!!!
SoniaMM

Post by SoniaMM »

Maya! What a beautiful name! She is gonna be a very happy girl with your support and love. Please, inform to us about her. You have my mail (my english is not so good as I´d like). We´ll help you all you need with Maya. :-)
Francisco

Post by Francisco »

Hello again,

Finally Maya is showing some recovery after the vet cut the leg. Fever is less than before and it seems to be that she is doing alot better. I'm going to the vets office again tomorrow to see her and to pay the bill :-(

Something that is very surprising about her is that she has not even mourn once since I picked her up. Not even with all the hard and painful treatment she has suffered with the surgeries and all that stuff. That's what I call a real Braveheart!
SoniaMM

Post by SoniaMM »

Hi Francisco! I´m very glad Maya is better. In a few days she will be completely well, you´ll see. Yes, she is a braveheart girl! Could you put send me a Maya´s pic? Keep me informed please. Hughs. Sonia.
CarolC

She has amazing dignity, I'm glad you found her *NoMsg*

Post by CarolC »

Francisco

Post by Francisco »

As promised, here is the picture of Maya with one of the Vets that is taking good care of her.

CarolC

Pic of Maya

Post by CarolC »

Ohhhh, what a sweetie. She's so small and her ears are so cute! How long does she have to wear the cast?
Francisco

Re: Pic of Maya

Post by Francisco »

Carol,

According to the vet, she will have to use the cast for at least one month more. I called the vets office today and they told me she is doing very well. I'm really happy!!!
Dianne

Re: Pic of Maya

Post by Dianne »

Francisco,

Maya looks wonderful in the pic. What a beautiful dog!

Dianne