Help Needed: Which cart is best?

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Lorie

Help Needed: Which cart is best?

Post by Lorie »

I have a minature Dachshund (male-12 lbs) requiring a cart, following back surgery. I don't know at this point if it will be a life-time appliance for him. Dachshund owners out there - which cart have you found is best? I've read the info on the various carts, but am not certain which would work best for this breed. Thank you for your help.
Dianne

How long since the surgery? *LINK*

Post by Dianne »

Lori,

How long has it been since your little fellow had the surgery?

Crate rest is normally prescribed for many weeks following the surgery, and then you may not need the cart. Link below

Dianne

http://dodgerslist.com/lit/After_Surgery.htm
Lorie

Re: Help Needed: Which cart is best?

Post by Lorie »

Hi Dianne,

Thank you for your response and the link to the article on recovery. Gunther had surgery on Monday, 12/19. At that time he was diagnosed as stage 2+, possibly stage 3 (90-95% chance of full recovery.) He was walking with great difficulty (back end was swaggering from side to side)and was in pain, but could still urinate and deficate on his own. Neurological response was slow, but still there, to right either foot when it was turned under. Now, following surgery, he can't walk at all (drags back end on floor) and is urinating and defacating, but has no control over it. The spinal cord was not severed, nor was it black and blue, as some are. He had some herniated discs as well as slipped discs. Not sure what to expect in the weeks to come.

Lorie
Dianne

Crate rest now

Post by Dianne »

Lori,

The standard is for the pet to be strictly crate rested inorder to heal following spinal surgery. He should NOT be dragging himself around the house. Please reread the crate resting link and confine your pup in a small kennel or area where he can only turn around. The kennel should contain water. Take him out ONLY to urinate or defacate.

At the bottom of the link it mentions wheelchairs/carts and the need to rest the pup rather than rushing into making that purchase.

There is also something that concerns me in your letter when you said, he "is urinating and defacating, but has no control over it". Does that mean he dribbles uncontrollably or soaks his bedding?

Are you manually expressing urine? He's should fully empty his bladder at least 4 times per day or could develop a UTI or possibly kidney failure.

Is he taking prednisone or steroids?

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Dianne, Mom to paralyzed doxie Schnitzel
CarolC

Yes! Crate rest now!!!

Post by CarolC »

No more dragging. Oh for goodness sake, put that dog in a crate and don't let him move around any more. He needs to rest. It is common for them to have worse function coming out of surgery than going in, because there is swelling following surgery. What your're seeing in the lack of function is a need to rest and recover, don't assume it's a failed surgery. Didn't they tell you anything about strict rest after surgery??? When my dog had back surgery they sent me home with written instructions to rest her--STRICT rest. It would be terrible to put your dog through the trial of surgery, and to spend all that money on surgery, and then to spoil the surgery by letting the dog drag himself around and never recover.

Did you read the link Dianne gave about crate rest? Here it is again. The minimum I've heard of is 4 weeks, I know somebody who did 8 weeks, and the website says it can go 10 or more.

<a href="http://dodgerslist.com/lit/After_Surgery.htm">Crate rest after surgery</a>

Here is another one:

<a href="http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/disc.htm">Care after disc surgery</a>

Don't worry, you have plenty of time to think about a cart, the cart company I dealt with didn't recommend putting a dog in their cart until at least 6 weeks after surgery. Hopefully your dog will never need one, since he wasn't completely down before surgery, but please put him on crate rest NOW.
marilynb

Re: Help Needed: Which cart is best?

Post by marilynb »

I too would like to know what cart would be best for a minature dashound. I have a five year old male that can not walk and I would like to knoew what carft would be best I would appreciate it if you could e-mail me

thank you
Marilyn
bev

Re: Yes! Crate rest now!!!

Post by bev »

thank you for this info
i am bringing my 3 yr old doxie home tomorrow post op laminectomy
no deep pain sensation prior to surery for about 6 hours
we are all praying for her
to walk again
she seems to be urinating on her own
but still no sensation in rear legs
on post op day 1
i will keep her on strict rest
thanks
any further info that can help us please let us know
CarolC

Re: Yes! Crate rest now!!!

Post by CarolC »

Hi Bev,

Sounds like you got her right into surgery quickly, that's a plus. Yes, crate rest will be important. If she's urinating on her own, that is an excellent sign. Have you visited the Dodger's List website? It is specially for people with dogs with back problems, mostly dachshunds. You might enjoy reading their Success Stories. Here's the link:

<a href="http://www.dodgerslist.com">Dodger's List</a>

If you have any questions or situations while your dog is recovering, please be sure to ask. People here have been there! Chances are someone will know the answer.