Dogs: GR Update - Karen or any dog expert

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
CarolC

Dogs: GR Update - Karen or any dog expert

Post by CarolC »

This week my golden retriever became unable to get to his feet from lying on linoleum. :( I bought a Doggon' sling several months ago but it's useless, doesn't even stay on. (I am reconsidering Doggon' when the time comes for a cart, since the idea that he could wear the sling all day is impossible with this sling and that was the main selling point.)

******It looks like I would have trouble getting him in any cart. When I try to help him stand up with an improvised sling he rolls over on his back. He actually needs TRAINING on how to be helped up, and I don't know how to do it.*****

I bought two rugs for the kitchen floor so he can get up, they're working. I ordered another brand of rear harness, we'll see if it stays on. And I took the back seat out of the car. There is still a piece of plastic molding I can't get unscrewed, must find someone to loosen the screws.

He is still 63 lbs. He was in the 50's but the vet said put weight on him because of kidney disease. Now we have these mobility problems and I'd rather he be skinny but the weight isn't coming off though I've reduced his food since before the pecan ripened. (Backyard full of pecans, he eats them.) I would exercise him, but I don't know if I should since the spill last week.
Mary

Re: Dogs: GR Update - Karen or any dog expert

Post by Mary »

Hello Carol C.

There is a ComfortLift Carrier in the new Fosters and Smith catalog that might work (page 100).

My uncle has an elderly german shepherd that can't get up easily (97 lbs). He takes her by the hips and gently eases her straight up and balances her, then makes sure she really has her balance so she doesn't tip over. When he's gone, my aunt uses a bed sheet. She gets it under Molly and then pulls up. Once she got the bedsheet under her and then pushed her closer to a wall so that when she stood up she'd have something to brace her against until she got her balance. My aunt and uncle are elderly so they don't have a lot of strength.
CarolC

Thank you

Post by CarolC »

Yes, that does look nice.

<a href="http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... y=1">Click here to see ConfortLift Carrier</a>

Maybe it would be easier for your grandmother than using the sheet? I don't have much strength either. It takes everything I've got and about 5 tries with a rest break in between to get a lid off a baby food jar.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Thank you

Post by critters »

You know the jar whacking tricks, right?
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Thank you

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

As Jude grew (gained weight and went from a puppy to a full grown shepherd size dog and then some) I couldn't lift him. Before I found this board. I was dragging him by h is armpits when he got too heavy for the towel. I used a towel under his midsection and I huffed and I puffed, and I lifted him. I massaged and moved his legs by tickling his tickle spot (he hated when I "therapied" his legs) He watched other dogs frolicing and decided that was what he wanted to do. So he gradulally learned how to walk. From I have no idea how long. His hip fractures were old, the gun shot fractures fairly recent when he was found as a skeleton.
Motivation when healing has taken place ... and I would watch the weight very carefully. I do w/Jude.
terry

Post by terry »

Carol,

I really don't have any advice to offer you, just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you and your GR, sending out all kinds of good thoughts and wishes. Keep us updated.

Terry
CarolC

Yeah, that or hot water :) *NoMsg*

Post by CarolC »

Jean

Post by Jean »

Carol, Sorry to hear that your Golden Retriever is having problems. I didn't know about this bb when my Australian Shepherd developed mobility problems. She only weighed 40# but it doesn't take long for one's back to start feeling the strain. Hope she feels better soon and that you develop a plan to meet her needs.
CarolC

Thanks all. Does anybody know the command for

Post by CarolC »

lie on your stomach in a sphinx position???

That's Allicksblindpup's roll command

That's as far as she gets. The DOWN position. You get the biscuit to the nose (on a blindpup and a deafblindpup) and push down on rear with one finger to sit. Then you take the biscuit to the floor while saying (to those who can actually HEAR) DOWN. It is exactly the sphinx position. Down. AmbrrNanaDog has it in her repertoire and AllicksBlindPup does it with touch command on her foreleg.
CarolC

Ohmygosh, it worked!

Post by CarolC »

THANK YOU! I held a kibble in my left hand in front of him and pressed down on his hips with my right hand saying Down, Down, Down till he sat, then walked around and brought his feet forward till he was down and gave him the kibble and praised him A LOT. That worked! However I'm going to have to think about this business of pressing on his hindquarters, it may not be good for him, don't know. HOWEVER, I think that if he does what was bothering me, rolls over on his back, I can get him in a sphinx position with a treat placed out in front of his nose. It will be a pain to have to get a kibble every time I want to help him stand up and he rolls over instead, but that's a trick *I* can learn.

He's brilliant, Mom. Congratulations! *NoMsg*

CarolC

Hope you understand this would have been a big problem--than

Post by CarolC »

I'm like, how can I help him stand up if he won't let me help him up because he automatically rolls on his back for a belly rub, and I know my patience isn't the best, it has to be a close order drill around here, NO TIME for dogs rolling over on their back when they need to go outside and the clock is ticking on my lunch hour which is already jam packed and I'm 2 min late back to work every day as it is and my paralyzed dog is going to have to give up part of her lunchtime walk which is a health matter, she needs it, it's 40% of her daily walking, but maybe I can get up earlier and exercise her before work so the shorter walk at lunch won't matter so much, and how am I going to get him into a cart if he's rolling over on his back as soon as I approach when I have maybe 5 minutes to get him in and out the door or in and out of his cart, I've actually driven around the neighborhood near work looking at houses for sale, if I didn't have to drive so far I'd have more time for 2 down dogs at lunch..........you get the picture, it's a big deal if I can't get him off his back and into a position to stand up, we can do this if he'll work with me
critters
Founding Member

Re: Ohmygosh, it worked!

Post by critters »

I doubt a bit of guidance will hurt his hips. Jamming and cramming probably would, but that's different. Good luck with the relearning!!

Re: Hope you understand this would have been a big problem--

I totally understand watching the clock. The one thing (besides money & youth) that I don't have is time. They gotta WORK WITH ME HEAH!

Try some pupperoni as well. Work on the down command in a fun setting then when you need it, it'll happen. Excellent! as wayne & garth would say