Dogs: GR Update - Karen or any dog expert

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
marilynb

Re: Dogs: GR Update - Karen or any dog expert

Post by marilynb »

I have a dashshound that has no use of his rear legs. I would appreciate hearing from someone that has the same problem and the same breed.

Marilyn
marilynb

Re: Dogs: GR Update - Karen or any dog expert

Post by marilynb »

I have a dashshound that has no use of his rear legs. I would appreciate hearing from someone that has the same problem and the same breed.

Marilyn
CarolC

Dachshunds? A lot of people here have paralyzed dachshunds.

Post by CarolC »

Hopefully they will be along soon. In the meantime, here is an important link to look at:

<a href="http://www.dodgerslist.com/faqs.html">Paralyzed dachshund emergency info</a>

There is a special website and support group you will like, with 1012 members at present. Here is the link:

<a href="http://www.dodgerslist.com">Dodgers List</a>

Also, could you say a bit more about your dog, like what happened, how long the problem has been going on, what kind of treatment you have done, and whether your dog has bladder control?
Cindidoxiemom

Re: Dachshunds? A lot of people here have paralyzed dachshun

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

I have a paralyzed dachshund...What treatment has your pup received? Surgery? Acupuncture? Crate rest/steroids? supplements? How long has your little one been down? Carol has suggested joining Dodger's...YES! They are wonderful. I am a member there. Please give us a little more information.
Cindi
Paul Coover

Re: Dogs: GR Update - Karen or any dog expert *LINK*

Post by Paul Coover »

We have 2 paralyzed dachshunds and one that was downed but recovered. It is a very common problem with the dachshund breed because of the shape and length of their back. Dodger's List is very good, and you can check out the Disabled Dachshund Society as well. Good luck!

Disabled Dachshund Society
Dianne

I have a paralyzed doxie

Post by Dianne »

Hello Marilyn,

There are several (many) of us on this board with paralyzed doxies. Some of them walk again, and some of them don't. Walking is NOT a qualifier for life.

Could you post a bit more information about how long your pup has been down, and any treatment he has received? Crate rest and steroids are normally prescribed for a minor injury, but major IVDD injuries usually have surgery.

My 7 yo doxie has been paralyzed and incontinent since February 2005- almost 1 year. I manually express urine and have learned how to keep his bowel movements on a more manageable schedule. He gets around the house faster than I can catch him, and laughs about it. He is my best singer when I play the piano, and taught our younger dog to sing along also. They will *hush* when I tell them to be quiet.

If you ask some questions about care, someone around here will probably know the answer.

Waiting to hear more,

Dianne