Dogs: Frequent Bladder Infections

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Susie

Dogs: Frequent Bladder Infections

Post by Susie »

HELP! I have an 11 yo paralyzed in the back end, doxie. She gets around great, in the house dragging like a seal, only using her "wheels" outside. (She doesn't like them in the house). She has been paralyzed for 6 years, so squeezing her bladder is not the problem. She is getting one bladder infection after another. She will go on antibiotics for a whole month and 3 days after finishing the months dose, has another one. I've changed her diet to raw (EXPENSIVE) food with supplements and vitamins, using cranberry extract powder. Any other ideas or suggestions? I'm desparate to help her not have these! THanks so much.....(And my little Daisy thanks you too!!) Susie
Anita

Re: Dogs: Frequent Bladder Infections *LINK*

Post by Anita »

I had a doxie that was paraylzed with the same problem.

First of all,is the doctor doing a culture of her urine when she has an infection? This is VERY important because they need to make sure that they are giving her the right meds for the right infection. If the wrong meds are given then the infection never goes away. It is expensive (around $100.00) usually but well worth it. It sounds like the infection is never going away and that could cause other problems later. If they are doing a culture and the same thing is happening, make sure that you are getting all the urine out. Some say to express them and then about 5 minutes later try again. It is just a problem with downed babies and something that we all deal with.

I commend you on the wonderful and unselfish job that you are doing. We need more people like you in this world.

Check out the link below for more info. Make sure that your baby is getting plenty of water too.

Anita

http://www.handicappedpets.com/Articles ... /index.htm
Sheri

Re: Dogs: Frequent Bladder Infections

Post by Sheri »

Someone told me to give Pete 2 tbs cinnamon 1 tsp honey in warm water once a week. Do not know if it works but Pete has not had a bladder infection in 6 months.
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Good Morning Suzie,

I'm hoping the coffee kicks in soon and I can write a literate sentence.

My male dozie has been paralyzed a year and needs to be expressed also. My only thought would be that a female could pick up bacteria when dragging her bottom across the floor. Did they mention e-coli or indicate what caused the previous infections? I try to be diligent about keeping the foreskin pulled over his male parts to help keep it clean.

Could the dragging across the floor be part of the issue with your pup?

Dianne
Susie

Post by Susie »

Mornin' Dianne:
I definitely think her dragging across the floor is how she picks up the bacteria. (Or outside in the yard). BUT, this is what she's done for six years also! I know I get all her urine out. After six years of squeezing the bladder, you kinda know what you're doing. I've really tried everything (that I'm aware of!). Urine culture (and sesitivity) and giving the correct antibx. Changed to proper diet...Raw dehydrated organic food, plus supplements, cranberry, and an aloe supplement as well. Thanks for the input.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I agree about the dragging, I'd put diapers on her not for absorbency but to keep her bottom clean. Maybe something got tracked in on the floor, or her immune system is just changing through age and she's more susceptible. By chance are you taking her to hydrotherapy at a PT place? If so, do you smell plenty of chlorine on her when she comes out? Other dogs sometimes potty in the pool/treadmill, it's up to the facility to keep it sanitary.
Susie

Post by Susie »

No, the vet said if she didn't walk after 6 months, she wouldn't. Her spinal cord looked like toothpaste for 2", not much hope. So, I've never done therapy. She's been 6 years without a diaper. But maybe I need to try that. Thanks!
Kathy H.

Post by Kathy H. »

Sheri,
How much water do you use? Do you have to give this mixture separately or can it be mixed in food?
I'd like to try it. We're getting over a bladder infection and he's going to be recultured this week.
Thanks!

Kathy
Sheri

Post by Sheri »

Kathy
I mix it in about 1/4 cup and pour it on his food. Just remember Pete is ruled by food and will eat most anything. You might have to try adding something he likes at first till he gets used to it.
Petey H.'s mom

Post by Petey H.'s mom »

Sheri,
Are you talking about your Pete being ruled by food or my Pete being ruled by food? My guy is really food motivated!! Could it be the name? What kind of beast is your Pete?
Thanks for the info. I'll try it.

Kathy
Sheri

Post by Sheri »

Pete is a Jack Russell.