Story: cricket after surgery

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
connie

Story: cricket after surgery

Post by connie »

hello. my little yorkie had disk surgery in november, never thought he would come this far. after months of therapy and expressing bladder, i think he is going to be cricket again. i no longer have to express bladder and he runs all over house and yard. not walking normal, but what vet calls spinal walk. he is improving every day. for those who have pet with this surgery, NEVER give up, it is a lot of work, lot of tears, but miracles do happen. god bless you and your pets.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

ANOTHER SUCCESS STORY!

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

YAY Cricket!!!
CarolC

Re: Story: cricket after surgery

Post by CarolC »

Hi Connie,

Congratulations on the recovery! Have you tried hydrotherapy with your little guy? Here are some links:

<a href="http://www.handicappedpets.com/cgi-bin/ ... 105">Click here for hydrotherapy links</a>
kruzen55

Post by kruzen55 »

hi connie,

how long after surgery did the 'peein on his own' occur? molly is still in diapers and she had her surgery exactly 2 months ago today. we must still express her bladder. just hoping that her peeing on her own might come back.
congrats on cricket's progress...i used to have a lhasa apso named cricket, she was a little black dog that jumped like a cricket all the time.....
susan
connie

to susan about bladder

Post by connie »

hi susan,
about 2 months after surgery, cricket was upset over expressing. so i just wet a paper towel and tried it and it worked. i took him to vet and she said it worked, ust watch for infections. but in 4 months, no infections. don't know if it will work on female dogs, but worth a shot. he lets me know now when he needs to wee wee. ha
on his bowels, i feed him, then we play ball, so he will run. after a few minutes his bowels will move. i just try anything . ha ha. he amazes me every day. most therapy coems from his will. he runs, plays, does all the things he used to except jump. i decided not to get cart cause he is trying so hard to walk, vet thinks it might put him back if i got wheels. all i do with him is trail and error, but i been so lucky. let me know how molly's bladder gets. she is a miracle and a fighter like my boy. she will surprize you each day. god bless you both.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Susan,

My dog's physical therapist says you have to give it at least 3 months to see if bladder control will return, and 6 months to be sure. What you see at 6 months is probably about what you're going to have.