Dogs: Paralysis

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Lorraine

Dogs: Paralysis

Post by Lorraine »

Are there any success stories of dogs with nondisplaced fractured spines that were paralyzed and then began to walk again? How about incontenance with paralysis and then the incontencance went away? I NEED success stories. My dog is not going to be operated on because the vet doubts that it would do any good and possibly do more harm than good. We are just waiting to see what happens with crate rest and allowing the swelling to go down. She has use of both front legs and one rear leg but is incontenant.
lm6423

Re: Dogs: Paralysis

Post by lm6423 »

yes my dog a few yrs ago was ran over. she puller her chain out of the ground and was dragging it. She was real bad about chasing cars well she went to chase a car and the car ran over the chain and puller her under the tire. i saw this with my own eyes i was 8mths pregnant and could not chase her. she went under our house and laid there for a few days we made sure she had food and water and then one day she came out limping and then before we knew it she was back to running after cars that is actually how she died. she was chasing a car and another was comeing and she hit head on thank god she didn't suffer.hope this helps
marilynb

Post by marilynb »

I read a message from carol that you can get a wheelchair for only $55.00 for a small dog, I have inquired at different companies and they want between $350 and$500.00. I would appreciate knowing where I could purchase one for under $100.00. I have a doxie that weighs 13lbs.

thank you,
Marilyn
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Dogs to Go wheelchairs that start at $55. They are good wheelchairs, they work. Everyone says the people at the company are very nice and helpful.

<a href="http://www.dogstogo.net">www.dogstogo.net</a>
Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

Hi
My dog Eros was hit by a pickup for mounths ago he had a fracture in his spine I'm not sure if it was nondisplaced or not but he did have the surgery and it took him about 3 weeks to stand but he also had MANY other injuries to overcome he had partial bladder control back in about 5-6 weeks its all kind of a blur but I just wanted to say don't give up! my dog is still not fully recovered (although his spine is) and it has been a journey of miracles. expressing might be the most frustraring thing in the world when you don't know how to do it but once you get the hang of it its really not bad.(IF you even have to express) Eros is a very large German Shepherd and I managed to do it and trust me I'm a weakling. I hope this helps a little!!
We wish you the best of luck for a speedy recovery!!
Eros & Tiffany
Sheri

Post by Sheri »

It will be 3 years in May since Petes accident. He had no feeling for 15 months. He had no bowel or bladder control. Now here we are almost 3 years later and still improving. He does not dribble all the time anymore and he just wears a diaper at night. He still gets expressed morning and night but the rest of the day he goes on his own but does not empty. Bowel control it is still me trained I know that Pete will go about 10-15 minutes after eating both morning and night. Pete can stand well but still does table walking or duck walking. He one leg is quite strong and has regained almost normal muscle mass. The other still lags but gaining strength and muscle.We are still hopefull but love him just the way he is.