Help Needed: injured dog

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
lm6423

Help Needed: injured dog

Post by lm6423 »

today my jack russel was hit by a truck he was rolled around and is dragging his back legs he has not yelled or anything to show he is in pain. i don't want to put my dog to die. i don't want to take him to the vet b/c i think they will try to talk me into putting him to sleep and i just can't do that. the person that hit my dog did not stop to see if he was ok...i think he hit him on purpose. can anyone give me any hopefull advice.
Tracy

Re: Help Needed: injured dog

Post by Tracy »

Please take your dog to the vet, he could be seriously injured and they can do things to help relieve his pain. It's always your decision what to do in the end, if you don't want to put him down, then don't let them try to talk you into it, but if he's in pain you need to get him help. Please get your baby to the vet so they can help him!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Yes Lisa, take him to the vet. They cannot make you put him to sleep. Since he is a Jack Russell, he is small and you can take care of him while he heals. He may not be hurt as bad as you think. If he has trouble walking later, you can get him a wheelchair, the prices start at $55.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Oh yes yes yes...I agree 100% you really need to take your precious baby to the vet. They can help you take care ov your little one's pain and set up a rehab schedule...NOBODY can make you put her down. Please...let a vet take a look at her.
HUGS to you and your baby,
Cindi
Sage, Misty, Hunte and Oscar
Weeble's :o~ mom Beth

Post by Weeble's :o~ mom Beth »

DITTO here! Get your baby to a vet ASAP!
connie

Post by connie »

when my yorkie cricket got a ruptured disk, the vet said if i had put him a crate for a couple of weeks, it might not have ruptured. so if you don't go to vet, try crating him for a few weeks, just rest. he said it would've healed onit's on if i had done that. but i didn't know. so don't let him do anything but eat, drink and rest. sure hope it helps. my prayers are with you both.
lm6423

Post by lm6423 »

I am so in need of some comforting words.My husband wants to put my dog to sleep b/c he dosen't think he will make it.we have not even took him to see a vet to see how bad he is b/c he is dosen't want to pay a vet bill. we think he may have broke his back.I am so aggrivated b/c i want to take him to the vet I just want to run screaming. I love my dog and want to do whatever it takes to keep him alive even if he is cripple. can paralized dogs use the bathroom?
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Lisa...
Is your dog going to the bathroom on its own? If it isn't, then a UTI will set in quickly, and this can damage his Kidneys and can kill. This is really heartbreaking to hear. Take your dog to a vet. I'm sorry, but your husband is being cruel to you and to this dog. You must take the responsibility and take him to be seen. Allowing your dog to sit without meds and treatment with a possible broken back just can't continue. If you can't get him to a vet...call a friend or family member to do it.
Cindi
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

If a dog has complete paralysis, he cannot control his bladder. Some dogs dribble urine all the time and can never stop peeing--they have to wear diapers. Some dogs cannot make their bladder empty even when it is full--the owner has to help them empty it. If your dog is not peeing he needs help. Here is information on helping a dog pee when he can't.

<a href="http://www.handicappedpets.com/Articles/express">click here for bladder care</a>

Sometimes the paralysis is only temporary and bladder control returns after the paralysis goes away.

There is a place to get a loan to pay for vet bills if you need money. <a href="http://www.carecredit.com">Click here for Care Credit</a>

Where are you located?
Weeble's :o~ mom Beth

Post by Weeble's :o~ mom Beth »

Lisa, CrolC gave you a link if you need help paying the vet bill. Please tomorrow take your baby to a vet some place! Your husband is not being fair to you or your baby. If you had been hit by a car would your husband just let you lay around not knowing what damage there could be, not to mention the pain you would be in????? Of course not! Your baby deserves just as much love and respect as you. He is a living breathing creature, who feels as much pain as you do when you get hurt, & he deserves as much as a chance as you would if you were hurt! I pray that you will be able to get thru to your husband that this isn't "just a dog" Please get your baby to a vet tomorrow ASAP!
lm6423

Post by lm6423 »

today i took my jack to the vet and they did an x-ray. He spine was broken in two and he had no feeling in his lower part of his body. he could not urinate so we put him to sleep.i am so torn up about this you would not imagine the way i feel i feel like i let my dog down and i feel like i killed him. the vet had to call my husband b/c i could not sign the paper my husband talked me into signing it to stop him from suffering. i just keep seeing my baby's face, the look in his eyes that he was hurting please pray for me that i will find peace with the decision that i made.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Lisa,
I will pray for you hon. I'm so sorry that you had to make this decision, but I hope you find peace in your heart.
cindi
Snowball

Post by Snowball »

Oh Lisa I am so sorry. You did the right thing for him. Please know that you did. We have all had to go through this and its the hardest thing in the world to do. Only time will take away this pain you feel right now. GO ahead and grieve, cry. I am so sorry.

Carol
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I'm so sorry, Lisa. I wish it could have turned out as you wished. I'm really, really sorry.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Dear Lisa, tears for you today. I am so very sorry for your loss and what you have been through.