Dogs: Paralysed Dachshund

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Carol D

Dogs: Paralysed Dachshund

Post by Carol D »

My son's little Dachshund lost use of her hind legs two weeks ago. We had spinal surgery done, but it was not successful. The surgeon suggested we get a cart, and I have just visited this site and read the threads about the different carts--comfort and ease of use is important to us--so far I'm leaning towards the Eddie's cart, but I'd be really grateful for opinions from other handicapped Dachshund owners as to their experiences with carts. Also, I have to say my son, Phil, has been extremely responsible about medicating Nina and caring for her elimination needs, etc. However, any helpful hints for us would be really welcome. Phil is 14, and Nina is 5.

If there are any recommended lists to join or sites to see besides this one, I'd like to hear about them, too.

Thank you! Carol D.
Tiffany

Re: Dogs: Paralysed Dachshund

Post by Tiffany »

Hi Carol
I am not a paralized dachshund owner. I have a GSD who was hit by a pick up four months ago but I've been reading this site since then and there are LOTS of people here with paralized dachshunds. One list I've heard alot about for injured dachshunds is dodgers list I'm sure someone will be along soon with a link for you stick around the people on this site are awesome. They have helped me WAY more then my vets have(accept for the actual saving of his life that is) even if you don't get another response for a little while have faith someone will come along, and if you have to, repost (if no one responds that means they didn't see it) We wish you the best of luck!!
Eros & Tiffany
Dianne

Re: Dogs: Paralysed Dachshund *LINK*

Post by Dianne »

Hello Carol D,

I also have a paralyzed doxie; my dog didn't have the surgery and remains paralyzed more than a year after a single incident of IVDD. There are MANY other doxie owners on this bb who have doxies/dogs in various stages of recovery. Some are in wheelchairs, and some not.

You are really rushing recovery to say that your pup has not recovered within a 2 week time period. The standard is for the dog to be crate rest for WEEKS after the surgery. If you are allowing Nina to drag about the house, she may NOT recover, as the spinal swelling will only be aggrivated. Crate rest means confinement in a SMALL area/crate unless taken out to go potty. Ignore the whining. Doxies are VERY good at being demanding. It is for her own good.

You mentioned that Nina is getting some medication. Is it steroids or pain meds? Steroids are typically given to reduce swelling.

Does Nina have any pain sensation? Can she wag her tail, or does it hang limply?

Bladder care: Does Nina tell you when she needs to go potty? Or does she dribble uncontrollably? If she is incontinent, your son needs to be vigilent in caring for her bladder needs or she could get a urinary tract infection that could compound your problems.

Do you have any issues with bowel care? It is possible to get a pup to "poop on demand". Several of us have different methods that really work, and help to keep things tidy and sanitary around the house. Just ask.

I've included a link to instructions to crate rest after surgery. If you follow up on the crate rest, you may not need the cart.

Perhaps someone else will be along soon with some other advice. If you need doxie support, this is a great place to be.

Dianne, I am not a vet, but am mom to paralyzed doxie, Schnitzel-and 4 other pets

http://dodgerslist.com/lit/After_Surgery.htm
Irene

Post by Irene »

Hello Carol:

Diane is correct. Your surgeon's recommendation is amazingly soon and I'm surprised that they did surgery first without exploring the crate confinement with steroid use over a strict timeframe.

Just so you know, our dog Lucy just recovered on her own after being disabled for approximately four months, this last situation being the fifth occurrence, albeit the worst. She lost the use of her hind legs but still retained bladder/bowel control but did experience pain. Suddenly about a month ago she must've "realigned" herself (tumble from the couch) and slowly began recovery where she now is in the same physical condition she was last September. Our Vet said that she had never heard of this before but after viewing this site and reading posts am aware that recovery after paralysis can happen.

Lucy's first experience, she was about a year and a half and had jumped from the couch. I just happened to be there and heard her yelp. She hid under the computer table for the next day, in pain (which I didn't realize). At day two she began to lose the use of her right hind leg, which is when I called the Vet who advised me what Lucy was experiencing and what was also could happen. In about 2 or 3 hours she couldn't walk and called the Vet again. We made a mad dash to the clinic and she was given an injection of prednisone and the Vet gave us very strict instructions of crate rest over the next six weeks and steroids (progressionally less and less doseage). She eventually recovered to about 75% of her abilities afterwards.

She has had bouts since, but nothing quite like that first one or the most recent one where we never expected her to walk ever again. Lucy's on-going experiences and recovery depends on immediate prednisone injection, prednisone in pill-form (decreasing dosage) and six-week confinement, as above.

You have to be VERY strict about the crate rest, both her and your family. It is probably the most difficult part of the recovery process and for a time I actually used ear plugs because I couldn't stand it, poor little girl!!! But be patient, she'll stop crying eventually.

Good luck.

Irene
Anita

Re: Dogs: Paralysed Dachshund *LINK*

Post by Anita »

So sorry to hear about your sons dog, but you are not alone out there. There is a lot of info on this site as well as others.

It is WAY to early to even think about getting a cart. Strict crate rest is what you should be doing right now along with maybe water therapy, acupunture, range of motion exercises, etc.

Below is a link for Dodgerslist. Also all there have downed doxies and been where you are right now. There is a lot to learn and there are people out there that want to help. Join dodgerlist Yahoo group and post your story. Read all the Success Stories and the STories of the Months. They will amaze you. Some doxies have been down for 6 months or more and then get up and walk so don't be discouraged. Most do walk again.

Keep us posted and I will look for your posts on Dodgerslist too. Be sure to give the pups name too.

Anita

http://www.dodgerslist.com
Terri

Post by Terri »

In response to recovery time, my dachshund really only began to walk outside last August (2005). Her surgery was in October 2004. The vets said that she would never walk again but here she is a year and a half later walking outside and occasionally starting to walk inside. She does still drag herself too. It has taken the same amount of time for her to be able to control her bladder and bowels. In the last two weeks she has begun to crouch while having a bm opposed to dragging herself around. I have taken her to physio and accupuncture and the best comment I have heard is to never give up on a dachshund. It is so true because in my case it has been a long road but watching my precious girl recover at her speed has been awesome.
About a cart, I purchased one for her in November 2005. My vet and physio preferred that I not get her a cart right away. Anyway, I put boots on her feet and she moves them in a walking motion.