Need Shoulders To Cry On

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Jan

Need Shoulders To Cry On

Post by Jan »

Been a really bad week. A litter a friend and I rescued 2 weeks ago(gorgeous calicos) all turned out to have panleuk. Needless to say the contagiousness is unreal, and I lost most of my kittens to the virus from ####. Once I realised what it was ( been through it too many times doing rescue) I "jumped the gun" and had all those who looked sick put down. I felt intense guilt at first and gave the sickly ones 24 hours more. Though I keep a minimum 5 feet between cages, separate scoops, cover the cages except for the front.... I got whammied.Those I thought might be alright all had fluids, and clavamox. Double whammy...ulcerated tongues too. Can't win situation. I try to do my best, and get skewered in the end! Can someone teach me the proper way to tie a noose? I used to know....Jan
critters
Founding Member

Jan, that's SO AWFUL. I'm SO SORRY. msg

Post by critters »

I just can't imagine. Last Fall I lost about 18 babies to some unknown disease and 2 to trauma, and I now have my first 2 bottle babies since then. I'm TERRIFIED of what might happen, but I couldn't let them just die. Rescuing is a tough, sometimes impossible, expensive, sometimes thankless job, but I try to remember the starfish story about saving just 1.
Kid John

Re: Need Shoulders To Cry On. So Sorry, been there!

Post by Kid John »

Not with Kittys, but with Puppys.

The deeper your heart is into the job, and the animals; the deeper the hurt when you lose them.
That is how you know, your living life the way you should.
It always hurts.

I am very happy to find friends that understand that kind of hurt, but I am sorry you have to go through it.
Stay in the Fight.

Kid John
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Bendy offers soft little purrrs

Post by Bendy Kitty »

it seems to be the flip side of saving little tinies, that for every success we watch one or more not make it :(
and, being the kinds of people who are compelled to rescue, we feel it even more keenly.

soft warm purrgles to you

when mom is very upset and frustrated with how things are going she picks up one of us to remind herself that soemtimes it does work.

I'm sure Thumbelina will be happy to nose rub as much of your sadness away as possible.

purrs & rubs

Bendy kitten
Alisa G

Tears and hugs for you...

Post by Alisa G »

You do the very best you can which is 100%. It is hard to deal with why these things happen. Wish I knew. Maybe one day every person with a furbaby will be responsible owners and there won't be a need for rescue.