slow kitten...

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

slow kitten...

Post by Bendy Kitty »

the youngest foster here, about 5 weeks old, seems to be way behind development wise, and just doesn't act right.
it's hard to pin down.
instead of playing, he sits and looks at things
he nurses on everything compulsively
he squeals a lot
he knows how to eat dry food, and nurses on moist food, but often forgets the food is there. I have to warm it up for him to notice, even if I put his little nose right on the food. I am thinking that he does not smell very well.
When I put the older kitten (8 wks) in with him he had trouble playing. Mostly he just cried and tried to get away. He finally started hopping around doing that cute little kitten arch up and boing. But mostly he would just rather be away from the other kitten.
he plays with me a little, he will paw my fingers when I rub his belly, and chew on my necklace.
on friday I take him and the otehr foster back to the shelter since I'll be gone. But I worry about him, they dont' have a lot of extra time there for a wierd kitten.
hey, he is trying to pounce me! (he is in my lap right now)
I talked with Cheryl about him she told me not to worry.
but I worry anyway.

he has toys in his cage, he ignores them. he ignores most of the space there too. just sits and stares.
tho he did go running across the kitchen yesterday when I let him out.

ideas?
Bendy kitten
critters
Founding Member

Re: slow kitten...

Post by critters »

It's possible he might be a little retarded or a little LD (Tripod is). I'd say he'll be ok in the end; most of them find ways to deal with it.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Re: slow kitten...

Post by Bendy Kitty »

mom took him to the vet today.
he STILL has coccidea showing up on his fecal smear!!
AAAAAAAAAAAA
his poop looks fine.
but coudl explain why he doesn't feel well. Vet said to worm him again. Mom gave him some Pet Tinic this am, hard to say if it helped or not.
Vet said his legs are fine, maybe he walks wierd cuz he doesn't feel well.
hard to say.
she doesn't have any way to test his vision/hearing/sense of smell apart from what mom has done.
right now he has perched himself on mom's shoulder, teehee.
he still suckles on anything, esp her hands. he likes those best, the little soft spote between themb & palm.
nummi.
mom will gvie the shelter enough Pet Tinic to last the time she is gone (Aug 11 - 21) and talk with the ppl there about this kitten.
hope he catches up! he is hte most active when mom is holding him. climbs up & down her shirt, plays with her glasses, plays with her fingers.
put him down...and he sits there.
sighs.

hm, he just discovered ears, oh goodie.

Bendy kitten
snickering at mom