Other: Simon

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Marni

Other: Simon

Post by Marni »

Regretfully, I am writing this note to inform you that Simon died this morning at 6:30 a.m. unexpectedly from liver failure. He seemed to be doing so well. He was down to 7.5 lbs a month ago but was up to 10 lbs on Thursday. He had begun acupuncture last month and was scheduled for a second round next week. He loved it!

We will miss him so very much and are devastated by this loss.

We have many things we no longer need: cart, many wraps, etc. Please contact me if you think you may have a use for them.

Sincerely,
Marni
Dianne

Sympathy for Simon

Post by Dianne »

Marni,

I am so VERY sorry to hear of Simon's passing. We just didn't think he was ill; we thought he was moving forward. You tried your best to do whatever he needed.

I'm also devastated by your loss. I don't quite know what to say.

How did they know it was liver failure?

Sympathy to you and your family,

Dianne
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Dear Marni

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I am so very sorry for your loss. I know how excited you were when things started looking good, when it looked like he had turned the corner.
Your precious baby boy got his wings, and he will meet you at the Bridge. I am so very sorry, Marni.
Simon, may you have the wind to your back on this journey.
Best, Karen, AmbrrNanaDog, AllicksBlindPUp, GabrielDeafBlindPup & St.JudeMiracleDog...
critters
Founding Member

I'm sorry for your loss.

Post by critters »

At least what he had left was better, thanks to what you did for him.
CarolC

Re: Other: Simon *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Dear Marni,

I was OK till I looked at his photo again in the Gallery, now I'm typing through the tears. It is strange, I've been thinking of you a lot the last few days. I told myself you were busy with other things, but I missed you when you weren't here. But sometimes if someone is not here it just means their life has setteled into a routine and they are doing well. I'm so sorry to learn he was ill. He loved the acupuncture and he loved going to the school in his wheelchair and visiting the children...he was just a really sweet person. It shows in his face. I remember how hard it was for you when he went down, how it was a stretch for you to be able to care for him. But he was a dog who had a home for life, and he must know it wasn't easy. I'm sorry he is gone. I hope you'll have good memories of him, and know you did all you could. I'll miss him, too, just from looking at his picture and hearing about him. Best wishes to your family at this time. I'm sorry this happened so soon.
Simon1205.jpg
Simon's Gallery page
margarita

Re: Other: Simon

Post by margarita »

Dear Mami,

I'm very sory for your loss.I saw the photo of Simon and he was very handsome.I also read the poem you dedicated to him, and it is beautiful, and simplifies so well how brave our babies are even when they are ill.I'm sure Simon is so proud of you and by now he must be telling everybody what a wonderful mum he has.

Lots of love

Margarita
Jean

Post by Jean »

Dear Marni, I am so sorry to hear about Simon. We have always had dachshunds in our family and they are such wonderfully spirited and loyal companions. I know you will miss Simon tremendously as I am sure he will miss you. You gave him such a wonderful life full of love and care. He couldn't have had a better MOM. I am So sorry for your loss. Sincerely, Jean
Marni

Re: Other: Simon- Thanks

Post by Marni »

Dear Dianne, Karen, Carol C, Margarita, Jean,

Thank you all for your expressions of sympathy and for your many, many kindnesses over the past nine months. I did not know that Simon was ill until Saturday morning at 4:20 a.m. when he woke me with his cries. His tongue was hanging out and he was panting. I took him immediately to the vet and after 8 lab tests, 3 packed cell volume tests, a full blood profile and electrolyte analysis, the vet diagnosed the problem as his liver completely shutting down. Past the point of return. I held him in my arms as he died at 6:30 a.m.

When I pick up his ashes next week, I will also pick up copies of all the lab results, if anyone would like that information, I would share.

Simon was out in his cart, following me around in the garden on Thursday and Friday. He had a little diarhea on Wednesday and Thursday and I took him to the vet and he gave him Amforol. He only took one-half tab. Simon was taking a Chinese herb, Backbone and two homeopathics from the wholistic vet who was doing his acupuncture- hypericum and Musculoskeletle Support.

We are devasted by our loss. We have two other dogs-- both 15-- who seem completely lost too. Simon was my special guy ever since he came to us at 7 weeks old, weighing 20 ounces. He was too little to eat and had not yet been weaned but his mom was injured and could not care for her pups.

Thanks again for everything. Your knowledge and support carried me through in the beginning and I will always be grateful to you.

Sincerely,
Marni
Toni

Post by Toni »

I'm very sorry to hear about Simon. He looked a wonderful little friend and companion. The poem on his page just makes me misty EVERY TIME I read it.
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Your great love for Simon was so obvious. What a wonderful mommy you were to him. Now God will take over watching him.
Hugs,
Cindi
CarolC

Re: Other: Simon- Thanks

Post by CarolC »

Hi Marni,

I was thinking about you and your husband and looking back through the messages to see Simon's age. I found one message that said he was 9 years old. And you also said your other two dogs are 15. I was thinking you probably expected to have Simon another 5 years at least, and then at that time you would have to decide whether you would get any more dogs, but now the decision seems to be coming up earlier. If it were me, I would be thinking about my own age and health and my husband's age and health, and the demands on me of my husband's care, and how another dog might fit into this. Just my two cents (and you didn't ask) but I think you could and perhaps should get another dog. If you feel uncomfortable getting a young dog, you could adopt an adult or senior. I have been adopting only seniors since 1995. I like them (you know *who* you're adopting--they're a person already), and I feel uncomfortable committing to care for a pet for 15 or 20 years as you must do with puppies and kittens. I think you could get a senior mini-dachshund (or any small breed) from a rescue and have a really great companion who is easy to lift and carry. You might also be able to get a younger dog from a rescue that guarantees to take the dog back if you ever can't care for it. I have heard of such arrangements. When I got little Matilda, a white-faced mini-dachshund, I didn't know how old she was, only that she was old. The vet thinks she is 14-15 years old. She has had a few health problems but she is the funnest, bounciest little comedienne you could imagine. She's adorable, and she's so happy to be here. It might work for you, too. I don't know, I have trouble looking a young animal in the eye when I'm not sure I can care for them throughout their lifespan, maybe you feel the same way.

Yes, I would be interested in the test results you mentioned, if you still feel like sharing them after you get them.
Marni

Re: Other: Simon- Test results

Post by Marni »

Hi Carol C,

I just received Simon's test results and there's a lot there. I'm not sure where to begin.

Would you like me to send it to you in a personal e-mail? I think it might be too much for the general readership of the board.

Thanks for your kind thoughts. I'm still deeply in grief.

Marni
Cody's Mom

Post by Cody's Mom »

Hi Marni,

So glad to see you on the board. I have been meaning to write and see how you are doing.

Sorry, I know this e-mail was for Carol and not for me, but I am glad to hear from you. I would love to see the results also if you want to e-mail them to me.

It is completely understandable that you are still deeply in grief - me, too. The last few days have been really bad for me. It seems like the first days after Cody left me. I think the shock and denial are beginning to wear off and it is getting even worse.

You can e-mail me any time, you still have my address, don't you?

Much love,

Cody's forever proud Mom
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Just stick them on up here if you want to. If you don't want, that's OK, but nobody with delete capabilities will mind. :)