Help Needed: Loosing nerve sensation to hind end

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
bp

Help Needed: Loosing nerve sensation to hind end

Post by bp »

Our dog, Juniper, is 12 yrs old and used to weigh around 100 lbs, although he has lost a lot of muscle mass in his hind end recently. Suffice it to say he's a big dog. His pevic girdle is slowly turning downward (toward the floor) at the lubar-sacral end and is compressing and restricting his spinal nerve, causing him to loose sensation and control of his whole hind end. I understand it's similar to herniated or compressed disks in humans.
He has hiked and skiied with us for a decade and suddenly it's about all he can do to go for a walk, although he still loves that. At times, it appears that there's a loose hinge at his pelvis and is swings from one side to the other with only a small nudge. At other times, his back legs give out and he needs help just to stand again. I know he's in a lot of pain all the time.
Has anyone had any luck with using the Mobility Brace for problems such as this? Is there anything else other than surgery and Rimadil that anyone can suggest?
connie

Re: Help Needed: Loosing nerve sensation to hind end

Post by connie »

sorry no advice i know nothing about that problem , but what does vets say? anyway your and your pet are in my prayers, good luck. i am sure someone here can help. i have gotten such wonderful support here. hugs
Carol T.

Post by Carol T. »

From my experience, and what I've read here, acupuncture is worth a shot. I don't know anything about the support you mentioned, but I'm sure someone on here has had some experience. I adopted an old English Setter last June who has lost the use of his hind legs. I use a "bottoms up" leash right now...but I'm increasingly supporting his weight. 10 days, though, and he gets his own set of wheels. Wish I could be more help, but hang in there...someone will come through!!! Carol T.
MARGARITA JACUE

Post by MARGARITA JACUE »

Dear BP,

I'm sorry to hear about Juniper.My dog Mario had a similar problem (he was a wonderful mix with goldenretriever).When he was first diagnose and due to the severity of the compression , he started taking cortisone (like prednisone)and it really helped but unfortunately it had a lot of side effects and as Mario was 11, it was affecting his liver.

We them decided to swap to a less aggressive treatment and he started having accupunture once a week.It did help him.Maybe you can try and see how Juniper reacts to it.

Pls let me know if I can be of any help

Regards

Margarita
bp

Post by bp »

Vet gave us Rivadil and surgery as our 2 options, but at 12 years old and figuring recovery time into it, I don't know about surgery. Rimadil seems to help with the pain and inflamation but it doesn't solve a degenerative problem like this. I made an appointment yesterday with a holistic vet but her wait list is 2 months out so I'm trying to educate myself in the meantime. The bottoms-up leash is one alternative; it reduces his freedom to snoop but might be the next step.
Thanks for your prayers. I so appreciate your suggestions and concern.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi bp,

I think you are ready for two things, a walking harness and a wheelchair. There are many walking harnesses available that can help you get him to his feet and you can move him from place to place in the house or walk him out to the yard for potty breaks and also load him in the car. Here is a link to see some of the styles of harnesses available:

<a href="http://www.handicappedpets.com/Mobility ... rnesses</a>

Also, here is a link to tell about the harness I got for my large dog:

http://www.handicappedpets.com/cgi-bin/msg/webbbs_config.pl?read=27244 Hartman harness

On the wheelchair, you may not realize that most wheelchairs are convertible? You can use them in a feet-up-in-stirrups position for dogs with rear end paralysis, but you can also use them in a walking position for dogs that can still walk on all 4 feet but are weak.

Wheelchairs are kind of expensive, but if you get Eddie's or Doggon' they will help you resell it when your dog no longer needs it. Trust me, there are many more people needing secondhand doggy wheelchairs than there are chairs to go around, you will have no trouble selling it.
bp

Post by bp »

Juniper is probably also a retreiver mix with lab as well. What a great combination! GREAT dog, INCREDIBLE friend!
Accupuncture is one of the things I've been considering. It's good to hear that it can help. Thanks for the feedback.
bp

Post by bp »

Ok. I hadn't seen the Hartman Harness and I really like the looks of it!
I've resisted the idea of a wheelchair, I guess, but maybe you're right. If not now then soon. -and no, I didn't realize that they can just give support rather than taking over completely. Juniper's leg muscles are already 1/2 the size they were last year and I don't want to see him stop using them entirely. Maybe this is a very good alternative.
I'll look around. I'm one of those who will be looking for a used one!
Christine

Post by Christine »

I have the name and contact information of a wonderful holistic vet who helped my girl Bailey without ever physically seeing her. She is in Asheville, North Carolina. Email me if you would like more information. I send you healing prayers for your little one.
bp

Post by bp »

How do I email you?
Christine

Post by Christine »

Go to www.butterflymornings.com and click on email
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

My vet suggested putting my 14 yr. old German Shepherd to sleep in Dec. her hind end had become so weak, but he also suggested trying acupuncture as an option. She gets a treatment every three weeks and is back to wondering around the back yard several times a day and even playing some. Her backend is deteriorating and she sometimes has trouble controlling bowels. I looking for a diaper that will hold bowel waste. But her overall improvement has been remarkable.