Urinary: Angel, MORE Bowel & Bladder ?'s

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
eieiohmy

Urinary: Angel, MORE Bowel & Bladder ?'s

Post by eieiohmy »

I really thought after passing about 16 inches of stool on Friday night/Early saturday morning and things were go back to "normal".

Well I was wrong! I often tease my furbabies that they are full of it, but in poor angels case, it is TRUE!

I got up early this morning around 4, we were having a bad storm, thunder, lightning and such. I went in and decided to try and express her. All day yesterday I wasn't having much luck.

Expressing caused two painful bowel movements. Each seeming a normal size, about 4 inches long. The pumpkin I started giving early Friday morning was making it's exit!

Then I woke up this morning around 9 and went in and she had, had another one. It was curled up about 4 inches one way and 4 inches the other. There was also a large wet spot, I figure trying to push that out helped her pee.

She is only almost 7 pounds. How could all this stuff come out of this little kitty!

Today I have had a heck of time expressing again!

I finally found what I think her is her bladder. Before I just put light pressure toward her rear on different places and would hit the jackpot.

This time I really felt the "rubber ball" that you all explain. It is about the same place the vet tried to show me. Hers is off to the side, down by hips and therefore hard to get to. When I get a "grip" on it and start pushing it down, she tightens her belly and I lose it!

Today was the first time trying to express really seemed to hurt her. She did the sadest little meow and then started squirming.

The bladder is like a rubber ball but not really soft. It seems small , but how would I really know. The only way I can think to describe it is about the size of a golf ball, but the golf ball has been squished into more of an oval.

I read here it could be enlongated and that is what it feels like.

Is it possible with the bowel movement, she cleaned herself out and I am just hurting her by trying to express it?

PLEASE promise me this gets easier. I HATE hurting her, scaring her. It seems every time I have been with her the last , almost 48 hours I have caused her pain, or helped cause her pain (with the bm's).

She isn't as excited when we go in, like she used too. will she ever forgive me and my family for my actions?

Blessings and HAPPY Mother's Day to all whether you have skin kids or Furbabies!
CarolC

Feeling the bladder is huge progress *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Hi, only time for a short message, maybe more tonight. It does get better. I *feel* for you, afraid the sweet cat is feeling you are hurting her. What you are doing must be done. I believe she can appreciate the results. If you can feel and recognize the bladder, you are on your way to a better technique that will minimize the general pressing you are doing and focus only on the bladder and be most efficient and quick. I am giving you a link to a message, which is in the middle of a long thread of messages. It is from William, who had trouble learning to express his male cat but got much better at it. It describes a method that I use with my small dog and he adopted the method with his cat. It happens that William has a gift of words and makes it especially clear. Here is something he said:

"2) after finding the bladder, push your fingers

and thumb into the abdomen until you have

WRAPPED your fingers around the bladder. the

thumb and finger tips should be BEYOND the

sides of the bladder so that they are past

the midline of the bladder."

This is quite a different method than pressing the abdomen. Using this method you definitely know when the bladder is empty. If this message does not strike a chord with you, then please ignore it and continue the you are doing. I never included this method in the express page because it requires delicacy.

I would recommend beginning to express her on a predictable schedule. Right now she does not know what minute of the day you may come in and begin squeezing.

Also, you might try verbal cues to help her work with you, she may be able to assist, I wouldn't be surprised. With my dog, and say "Ready Freddy?" when I'm in the right spot and ready to squeeze. This will make her your co-partner. Gotta go. Keep up the good work!

http://www.handicappedpets.com/cgi-bin/ ... read=25087
Jean

Re: Urinary: Angel, MORE Bowel & Bladder ?'s

Post by Jean »

Christie,

Hi, glad you were able to express some urine.

If Angel has been constipated for some time I wouldn't be surprised if she had that much stool in her colon.

It might not be that you are causing her pain by the actual squeezing of the bladder but that her bladder is so distended from the accumulation of so much urine that she is uncomfortable in general.

You don't live in Kansas do you?

Have you visited with the vet about "bladder lessons". My vet only charged me a nominal fee and I went back for 5-6 days in a row. That way you could at least get Angel expressed completely 1 time a day while you are in training. It would probably be well worth it stress wise for you and comfort wise for Angel.

Thank you for caring so much about Angel. Everyone finds expressing difficult at first. Hang in there Angel needs you SO VERY much.

Have you tried expressing her on her side. That technique is on the expressing page and I have been doing it that way for over 7 years./Jean
CarolC

Re: Urinary: Angel, MORE Bowel & Bladder ?'s (long and w

Post by CarolC »

Hi Christie,

I'm still thinking about your message and I don't have any clear or definite ideas except that it does get better. I hope you are able to see what progress it is for her to eliminate so much. She must have felt pretty awful being so constipated. I don't know how you are, whether you are squeamish, or slightly squeamish, or not bothered at all. Even for someone who is not squeamish, finding mess after mess is a bit disconcerting. I'm sure it's no fun for Angel either, if she has made a mess. Probaby she is trying very hard to scratch the blanket over it or cover it somehow. I am sure she appreciates it very much when you come in and make her little home clean and cozy again.

Have you shaved or trimmed the fur on her bottom yet? Since she is going on her own and you are probably having to clean her after it has dried on her fur, a little trim would be helpful. She is longhaired. I've done it on a longhaired cat and a shaggy dog.

I'm thinking maybe her reaction to you is not just worry that you will squeeze her again. She also feels bad because you have to clean up her mess. She's kind of embarrassed, and also unhappy that she's been near a mess. These things will pass. It is still Wonderful that she is eliminating. The alternative would be much worse, and there have been people on this message board in a great state of worry because their cat was not eliminating. Even if it is messy and unpleasant for both of you, it is a beneficial thing. I am sure she is still glad you feed her those wonderful meals, and glad you give her clean bedding, and glad you talk to her and pet her. Her life is MUCH better than it was. It is improving all the time, even if it is hard right now. Can you crack a window in the bathroom without worrying about burglars? Is she warm enough. I did not realize it at first but my paralyzed dog was cold the whole first month following her injury. (No heating pad, though, not safe with paralysis.)

Have you tried brushing her? That is a good way to let a kitty know you mean her well.

I kind of wanted to repeat what I said earlier, and I was in a hurry (and made a lot of typos). It is possible she has partial control. Did I tell you these animals can often feel that they need to empty the bladder, they just can't do it by themselves? Knowing that, think how glad she would be to help you. She is learning what you are doing, just as you are learning better ways to do it. Once you guys get your procedure into kind of a routine, she may be able to help. My dog was totally paralyzed for several months following her accident, but eventually she became able to help me when we expressed. It really does help to tell her when I am ready to do the squeezing. I don't know if she can feel me locating the bladder and positioning my hand or not, but she does help with the urinating once I say "Ready, Freddy?" and start squeezing.

I had been expressing my dog about a week following her injury when she got a bladder infection. The first sign I had was a smell to the urine, and also I could tell she wasn't feeling too good. Tenderness when you express can be another sign of an infection, though not necessarily. Anyway, you might want to keep smelling the urine and checking the color this week, especially since she is acting tender. She may just be feeling the effects of all the squeezing.

You know what? SOMEONE was going to have to help her get her bowel emptied and start an expressing program with her. No matter who did it, it wasn't going to be a picnic for ANYBODY. You are probably being kinder and more considerate about it than most would be, because you really care. I felt the same way when I had to give nausea injections to my cat. I wanted to be tender and kind to her, and instead I had to jab her with a needle several times a day. It IS hard, you're right. I wish you could do nothing but love her and pet her, but somebody has to do the dirty work, right? You just do it the best you can.

Happy MOTHER'S DAY from someone else who handles the business end of a pet several times a day. Keep up the good work! She is lucky to have you.
CarolC

P.S.

Post by CarolC »

About the idea of infection...my dog never wets her bed unless she is getting an infection. Wetting the bed can be a sign of infection. Maybe the wet spot was from the effort of the BM, but consider infection as well since you don't know for sure.

Also...you said she seems less happy than she was...that could be because she is starting to feel a bit under the weather from an infection, and it might have nothing to do with being worried you will squeeze her again.

I don't know, these are just ideas.
Carol T.

Re: P.S.

Post by Carol T. »

Ditto! Bogie wetting his bed was the FIRST sign I had of his urinary infection.
eieiohmy

Re: Urinary: Angel / Carol C

Post by eieiohmy »

THANKS so much for the link. It did help. One thing I know for sure is that When I felt it , I didn't go further, I squeezed, I guess in the middle.

I have expressed her tonight, got out a little more than any other time this morning and she only meowed once but I will try that in the morning.

I went back , twice today , that I did nothing but love her. I promised her and while she laid down I rubbed her belly, I tapped her belly and kneaded her belly to show her my hands can be nice to her belly too.

I also got some soft treats for her and gave her two after expressing, she loved them and chewed them up pretty good too.

I comb her with a flea come to remove some of the lice and the DB's ( that is what I call the dead bodies of lice) while I am holding her or taking a break for expressing.

I did trim the hair around her private areas and up, the underneath of her tail about an inch.

I do feel that she doesn't like having to be cared for. She seems to be an independent lady.

I will NOT give up, I would rather have her safe, comfortable and well fed here and hate me than to be outside, alone, scared and hungry with no one to love her.

Hopefully she will understand , over time and forgive me for the LOOOONG learning process. You know how slow us humans can be. I hope the fact that I stick with her, where other "humans" must not have.

I think I will call the vet and asked them if I can just drop off a urine sample. I will also ask them about showing me again, and maybe again, and maybe a few times more. lol

Thanks again for the comforting words. Blessings, Christie and Angel
eieiohmy

Re: Urinary: Angel/ Jean

Post by eieiohmy »

Jean, Yes I do express her , while she is on her side. First I tried the standing method that was on that page and I had a heck of a time.

Then I tried laying her on a towel on the floor in front of me. I was sitting on the floor too. I have even held her on her side, on my lap.

I don't live in Kansas, I am in Maryland.

I am going to call them tomorrow and ask about lessons and ask about getting the urine tested.

Thanks again, all the support and inspiration here keeps me from feeling like a complete failure.

Blessings, Christie and Angel
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Christie,

I do the same thing. I keep a flea comb in the drawer of the bathroom vanity (I express on the bathroom counter) and will often express, then flea comb my dog while I wait for the bladder to get round and firm again, then I will express again. The bathroom counter is a good place to flea comb, you can see them if they jump off.

When I collect a urine sample, I use a clean (washed, rinsed and scalded) pyrex glass cake pan. I set it behind my dog and express her into the cake pan, then pour it into a clean container to take to the vet. The cake pan works nicely because I don't have to worry about aiming, it's such a big target.

I'm glad things are going better. It was nice to read she seems more contented. I am happy for you (and know you have a whole houseful to take care of, too).
Jean

Post by Jean »

Christie,

You are not a failure. In Angel's eyes you are like an Angel. You took her from a life as an unwanted, unloved stray. She probably feels like a princess with all the attention and Yummy food. etc.

You are trying your best. Things will get better. Your expressing skills will improve. Anytime you learn a skill no matter what it is it takes time. You are trying but you have had so much thrown at you at one time. Please don't be discouraged. A few bladder lessons and you and Angel will be set for many years together.

Christie try putting Angel somewhere where you are slightly above her. I put Jaime on a small table and sit on a footstool. I am slightly above her. The difference in angle might help you as well.

If you had lived nearby I was going to offer to come and teach you. You'll do fine at the vets. Book several days of bladder lessons so that you will have time to learn and not feel pressured to learn in one day. Plus, Angel will get thoroughly expressed each day.

Christie try to keep your chin up. Pets are so perceptive of our feelings. Remember to one old, starving, unwanted kitty you were like an ANGEL.

Let us know how your vet visit goes tomorrow. We really DO CARE./Jean
Jean

Re: Stimulate her like a Mother cat does a kitten

Post by Jean »

Christy I thought of one other thing. When I first got Jaime I couldn't express her either. I got her to pee by stimulating her like a mother cat does a kitten. Try rubbing on her private parts with a damp warm cotton ball or towel. This is the way I peed her until I learned to express her.
PS: Critters peed Buddy this way at first also.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

"I do feel that she doesn't like having to be cared for. She seems to be an independent lady." That's a kitty for you! LOL I've had to be quite firm with Buddy at times when he didn't want me pawing over his belly, either, and he's gotten MUCH better about it.

Have you considered bladder meds? For Buddy, Bethanechol makes a world of difference, but, for him, the line between too muich and too little is quite slim. It lets him pee by himself some, and it's not expensive.
CarolC

Re: Urinary: Angel/ Jean *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Jean I added your comment to the express page. If you don't like it I will revert it back to the way it was. I'm referring to "Expressing a cat who is lying down".

http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Express_a_dog_or_cat#Cats
eieiohmy

Re: Urinary: Angel, / Everyone

Post by eieiohmy »

I really can't thank you all enough for all the support. The kind words and encourage, have made this "easier" regardless of how hard it is.

Jean You mentioned stimulating her like a mother cat. I did that a few times and it worked. Yesterday when I was having so much trouble I did that and nothing. Her genitals didn't even twitch so I really think I had her completely expressed.

Today went better, i posted about our day and the urine didn't have any "floaties" I know when my Saint had Chronic UTI's whenever I would collect a sample there "floaties" in it and every time there was "floaties" she had an infection. When there wasn't, she didn't. So I am playing it by ear.

Thanks again, Blessing to all of you and your furkids. Christie and Angel
Jean

Post by Jean »

Carol, That will be fine. Hopefully, it will be of help to someone. Jean