Other: Mason Update

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Friend2Dogs

Other: Mason Update

Post by Friend2Dogs »

They faxed Mason's record to this new Vet from the Vet School.This Vet wrote down for me the cancer he has. It is hermangiosarcoma. He said they were not finished with the test on the one in his mouth as they are doing another test on it called a stain. Also how often does a dog have to be vac. for pravo and the other boosters? I hate giving it to my dogs every year. Do I have to ?
Carol T.

Re: Other: Mason Update

Post by Carol T. »

Thanks for the update! I'm still praying for Mason. About vaccinations: There's a school of thought that says they often do more harm than good. As for me, I would rather err on the safe side. Mine get all the boosters, including one for Lyme Disease (I live in the boonies and we always have a bumper crop of ticks). I hope so much that Mason is going to be okay. He's a fighter, and that helps a lot!!
Friend2Dogs

Post by Friend2Dogs »

I am not giving Mason any more shots but his rabies, the other 3 I guess I will give them what ever Vet wants. Mason has been through enough!
eieiohmy

Post by eieiohmy »

Friend2Dogs, there is a test called titers, not sure how it works but it can tell if they have enough of the vac to offer them protection so that you only vaccinate when the level is low.

Not sure how much something like that costs.

i feel if Mason isn't necessary, that is my personal opinion!~ I also feel with the newest find of cancer than that over vaccinating him could do more harm than good.

Do you take your other dogs out to dog parks, petstores and such?

Blessings, Christie
Friend2Dogs

Post by Friend2Dogs »

I just read on the site you send me, a dog does not need all those vac. They have to have rabies by law but the others they do not need the boosters. The Vets give them to make money. My dogs are rarely ever around other dogs ,so I am not giving anything but rabies from now on.It even said it can cause cancer.
Carol T.

Post by Carol T. »

I had read that, too, on another site. I really have mixed feelings about them, but when we go to the vet, my animals are exposed to God-knows-what. My other concern is that we often walk down a heavily wooded path to Truman Lake, and I know my neighbor's dogs have been there, plus tons of wildlife. I'm sure all those critters are responsible for many of the scents that entice my dogs, hence my need to feel they are protected.
Christine

Post by Christine »

After Bailey went through so many unexplained changes...seizures, liver disease, low thyroid and unexplained blindness, I questioned the vaccinations as well. My holistic vet told me about the titers testing which is an alternative method of making sure they are protected. It tests the level of immunity to different diseases. Many of the vaccinations are using live bacteria which could possibly be causing various problems. Rabies vaccination (which is required by law in most states) does not use live bacteria so is safer. I had Bailey's titers testing done for distemper and rabies as well as blood panel and the cost was around $80.00. (I believe the titers testing alone was between $20 and $30) Someone wrote about possible exposure when you take your animal to the vet which is very valid. Do a little research on the titers so you can get the correct explanation I tried to give. It is a simple procedure and might give you some peace of mind. Take care.

Christine and Bailey