Help Needed: Blind cat not adjusting

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Jennifer

Help Needed: Blind cat not adjusting

Post by Jennifer »

Hello, I have a difficult situation. Brief summary-

I have a one year old cat that suffered a severe infection of feline herpes as a kitten. His left eye was removed when he was young and the right was severely damaged. He lost the ability to blink due to a very bad ear infection, which further damaged the remaining eye. At that point the vet felt he had no vision. We thought he actually did and took him for a second opinion. That vet felt he could perhaps see light and some shadow but also felt the eye was so badly damaged it was at risk of developing cancer. Because that type of cancer is lethal, we opted to have the eye removed. The surgery was performed on May 18th.

Physically, Jonas has recovered well. It does appear he had more vision than we thought, however, as he is now bumping into objects. He has gone from an insanely active young cat to a lump who refuses to leave his rug in the kitchen. I'm worried that he's lost his confidence along with his sight and I hate myself for doing this to him. I'm looking for any advice in helping him adjust. We've changed nothing in the house and he's been here nine months now, so I'm not sure why he seems so lost. Am I just expecting him to adjust too quickly? The surgery was only a week ago. I just want my spunky boy back!
Cody's Mom

Re: Help Needed: Blind cat not adjusting

Post by Cody's Mom »

Hi Jennifer,

I'm not going to be much help because I don't know about cats and I have never had a blind animal either (well, Cody couldn't see that great I guess). I see that you haven't had any posts yet, so I just wanted to offer my love and support to you and your kitty.

Have you asked the vet what he/she thinks about your cat being so subdued now? Possibly your cat is wondering what in the world happened? I don't know. I don't know if there are others on this board with blind cats, but I think there are a few with blind dogs. I believe Karen, Andy's Mom, has a couple. Hopefully, she and maybe others will post to you tomorrow.

I would like to encourage you not to feel bad about doing the surgery if leaving the eye in posed a cancer risk. After losing my beloved Aussie Cody to brain cancer on Easter, I would, of course, agree that you did the right thing, especially if there was very little if any vision in that eye anyway. I don't think your cat will die just because of losing an eye and it very well could if cancer developed. I would have made the same decision if I had been in your situation. I praise you for being proactive instead of doing nothing and letting cancer develop.

I guess if the lethargy continues, I would probably contact your vet and see if you should make an appt. Possibly your cat could be having some type of other problem that isn't readily apparent.

Sorry I hope I didn't just waste your time with this letter as I am no help with cats, but I do offer you my love and support. I think the wise ones will post in the morning when they wake up. See what you get in the middle of the night - idiots like me that are too stupid to go to bed! :)

Much love and best wishes to you and your kitty,

Cody's forever proud Mom
Carol T.

Post by Carol T. »

Hi Jennifer!
Here's another one that doesn't know enough to go to bed!! I haven't had experience with blind animals, either, but as mentioned above, there's someone experienced with blind dogs. Just as with people, though, I think a cat would be fearful and depressed if they become unsighted. Have you tried leash-training him? I have no experience with that, either...but I bet there is a site somewhere with info! He might feel more confident if he could trust that you were "steering" for him. I know one person with a blind dog talked about wearing a bell so her dog could locate her. I think that would be a good idea for the kitty, too. Good luck with your baby. I think with time, patience, and reassurance he will come around.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Spunk, my blind punk, also had herpes as a baby. Her left eye ruptured twice, and both are severely scarred. I'd be most interested to know what evidence is available on this "cancer risk" if you find anything out from the doc. Spunk's now 6 or so and has both eyes; she can see light/dark/shadows, etc. with a very small less-scarred part of her R eye.

I think he'll adjust; I understand enucleation is a very rough surgery, although it's not one I've personally seen or had done to my monsters. Perhaps the socket is painful. He's young, and I suspect he'll be fine.
Christine

Post by Christine »

My dog, Bailey and I have been dealing with her blindness, return to sight and blindness again since February of 2005. First and foremost, try to remain upbeat, these wonderful little souls know exactly how we are feeling and take our cues. Talk to your baby more than you did before...it is comforting for them to hear your voice and know where you are. The leash training sounds lke a good idea to me. (I will warn you though, it seems like cats are very insulted when you leash them - I have tried in the past with my own and they act like you are questioning their intelligence, so be especially understanding and patient here. If he does not use a litter box, the leash will be helpful. I changed Bailey to a harnass for her comfort and so that I could help her more easily without her neck taking the brunt of missteps by either of us. Last word on this subject, maybe you could fence off a small area outside to take him too just for this purpose. Put his (?) bed in a safe and familiar place and keep it in the same place. I leave water out for Bailey in a corner that she has learned. The bowl is accessible, but will not move and she can only walk up to it and then back away. Leaving it out where she might step into it or turn it over just discouraged her. They say that our blind animals will map their surroundings and I have seen that with Bailey, but I make sure that there are no dangers in her path or obstacles if at all possible. I use pillows to block certain "trapping" areas. Another thing that will help is placing familiar scents to help him map. If he has a bed, it already has his scent, if not create one and maybe put one of your worn t-shirts in it. I am willing to bet that if he is litter trained, that will also become a new routine if the litter box is not too high for him to step in and out of. Another area to give some assistance with scent (maybe a drop of ammonia to get him started?) If you are concerned about the litter making a mess, you could put the litter box in a box with an "entrance door" cut. This might also make it easier for him to get in and out of. When you are teaching him new ways to do things, try to make it a routine and use treats until it does become a routine. I am sure there is professional information on the web - these suggestions are from my own experience and from my heart. Don't give up and don't let him give up. Give him lots of cuddles and love and patience - be his light. Finally, please don't feel guilty about doing everything and anything in your power to help him - many people in your situation not have tried to give him that second chance.
SandyNY

Re: Help Needed: Blind cat not adjusting *LINK*

Post by SandyNY »

All you have to do is close your eyes or be blindfolded, then walk around your house alone; with no one talking or helping you. then think of being his size. I would start off vary small scale.i would pick him up and take him to the starting room. In the starting room, I would get him to walk, touching his side the whole time. walk him to his food dish, then to his nice comfy bed/ sitting place, then to his litter box; then i would walk it again - touching him and talking to him the whole time. 2 or 3 trips - he will get it quick. I would leave some smelly food he likes in the dish and some mess in the box to make it easier. I agree with the upbeat. you can seriously worry a pet by being sad and upset with the situation and yourself. I would spend as much time with him with you as you can - put your foot alongside him as you do dishes, fold laundry; then pick him up and take him with you to the next station. All of our wild cats have feline herpes virus as do most of the sick or momma-neglected ones I have taken. When a kitten gets upper respitory infections at a young age, sometimes thier sinuses don't develop exactly right - hense Baby Clyde's constant sinus infections. I mention this to remind you that he may not smell as well as the next cat; some of those other cat senses maynot be as good as a cat who was not infected so young. BC also has balance problems from time to time - probably from the congestion. I don't mean trouble walking or anything, just in judgement like when trying to jump on a cat climber - so if your kit has had any experiance with these types of things, it would be understandable to me that he would be more apprehensive. Just look at him and picture him saying " Cripe, I'm not a labrador! Think I am going to just leap and bounce all over the place like an idiot? I'm a bit smarter and more refined than that! Get me a couple bendy mice and room with no strange noises and i will play when you aren't looking and will get back to my old self."
Surgery is surgery so I would also follow up and make sure there is no fever or infection. Even though the eyes are gone, he may benefit from lysine. Lysine tricks the body so the herpes virus is not active. You can buy it in the health food store. Another good additive to the regime is interferon; which will help his immune system.
This link is my lifesource of information.... but be advised that the cat who all the info stems from died recently, so may be a tear jerker to read, skim down past his stomatitis info and you have all the links to understanding lysine and interferon as related to feline herpes virus.
As a side note: I have one cat who is not on any meds and is generally not ill at all. (he was upper respitory and on the lysine and interferon before) when he gets a scratch, it takes forever to heal. it doesn't get worse or better, just stays there forever. When i give him 1 cc of interferon daily, the cut will heal in no time. So it may be worth discussing with vet as it may help him heal., even just short term. I give BC the lysine powder mixed into the interferon via syringe and he hates it -- but then nothing in life is free...lol... and he gets his deserved treats after each dosing. If vet is willing to try but unfamiliar with interferon; note the handling. interferon becomes inactive when it reaches room temperature. and noone seems to know how long it will stay "good" in the refridgerator. Interferon is frozen until ready to dispense, then mixed with sterile or distilled water. then it must be refridgerated. Some people do give to cats in food. I now refreeze the mixed interferon in smaller amounts. some people freeze in doses or weekly doses but i would forever be forgetting to unfreeze in time!LOL! Hope this helps! I think he will be ok and I wouldn't second guess your decisions - each case is different and we have to do what we think is best given the information we are provided. I think he needs some adjustment time. .. and maybe a kitten... want a kitten??

interferon and lysine info / links
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

It takes a little time. A blind wild cat is a dead wild cat

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I was asked to assess a blindcat at the county shelter. I WAS STUNNED IT HAD SURVIVED! Their turnover rate is less than 2 weeks, for perfect critters (sorry critters) They hung on to the cat because I have two blind dogs. critters assured me blindcats do fine.
Yours is just adjusting, as you have been advised, keep everything up beat. confine kitty to a small area, and you lay on floor. USE SCENT. BLOCK STAIRWAYS. Use a bell on your pant leg or in your hand and teach kitty sitting right in front by jingling, coming to bell gets treat. Another brilliant idea is texture on floors. (my pups are airborne so a lot of brilliant ideas are useless in my house) Sandpaper at a step. crinkle paper at a no no area. etc. DO NOT MOVE ANYTHING. Never leave a vacuum in the middle of floor. E-collars (surgical) are excellent for "bumpers" altho it distorts the audio. Quiet time you and kitty alone in a small area. Quiet time with a scented feather (you can use anything to scent. Pepperoni is a good one. Some folks use vanilla at door way, and lavender at whereever.
It takes time. A cat is a solitary creature in the wild and a hunter. Kitty is just having a rough time adjusting.
I met up with a rescuer on a transport last year. We traded blind stories. She said she had a blind cat that she adopted. She said you would never know it was blind if you didn't know it was blind. I said DID YOU GET IT FROM BEAUFORT COUNTY ANIMALS SHELTER??? YES!!!! Is it Orange and White??? YES!!! I said I KNOW YOUR KITTY!
CarolC

Blind cats link *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

The link below might help a little. I think he just needs time.

http://www.messybeast.com/disabled.htm
CarolC

Re: Blind cats link

Post by CarolC »

Jean

Post by Jean »

Dear Jennifer,
Sorry to hear that Jonas is having so much trouble with his eyes. I know you are frustrated but his surgery was only 1 week ago and he needs time to adjust. In adition, I'm sure YOU need time to adjust and to accept that it was necessary for his future health.
My cat Silver was born without eyes. He is just like any other cat. He jumps baby gates, clilmbs up/down stairs, climbs cat trees that go all the way to the ceiling, catches flies in the window and even plays with the ball on the circular scratching toy from WalMart.
I think the suggestions given by Karen are very practical ways to help Jonas adapt. Try implementing some of them to see if he feels more at ease. Time will make such a difference. He will adapt and you will have your "Spunky Boy back". /Jean
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Thanks to everyone for their replies and the helpful links! I'm sorry I haven't been able to reply before now.

Just to address things that several people mentioned-

We did get a full blood panel done on Jonas last week and just got the results back today. There are no signs of infection. I do wonder if the stress of the surgery has woken his herpes though, so we will be starting him on supplements (thanks so much for the information about that!). His behavior has not improved. However, I am starting to doubt that his sleepiness is related to fear. If I take him outside on a leash he will happily explore- even though he often bumps into objects. So I'm not sure why he would be afraid to explore in the house, which he is very familiar with, but quite readily do so outside, where everything is new.

I believe that part of the problem is I am gone most of the day at work and his 'babysitter' is having some health problems and hasn't been able to interact with him as much as she used to. He will play if you are directly interacting with him, which she is unable to do at this time. We do have two other cats but they avoid him for the most part. Later this week we're going to try a playdate with a cat around his age that belongs to a coworker to see if they will play together.

I am buying several different sounding bells so that everyone in the house can have one and so will the other two cats. I think just knowing where everyone is may help.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions! I refuse to accept that he will remain so depressed for the rest of his life. If he does not improve in a few weeks I will probably take him for a behaviorial consult. He's already had one for aggression (which is something he had greatly improved with but recently has regressed- I suspect frustation makes him get nippy) so we are familiar with the process.
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

About the risk of cancer-

Cats are unique in that they have a risk of developing cancer from many insults to the body that other animals just shrug off. Most people have heard of vaccine related cancers in cats and this is the same sort of thing.

The type of cancer that Jonas was at risk for is post traumatic ocular sarcoma. It can occur in any cat with an eye that has a damaged lens. Research shows that the cancer seems to grow from the lens and is less likely to occur in an eye that is damaged but where the lens is intact. If your cat has too much scarring it may impossible to tell if the lens has been damaged.

The actual cancer risk is impossible to know for certain because it has not been widely studied at this point. We know it happens but we don't really know how often. The best estimate is there a 30% risk of the cancer developing in a damaged eye but this is really only a guess. The real problem is that this cancer is almost always lethal. It grows inside the eye and by the time you are aware of outward signs it has already starting growing down the optic nerve and into the brain. Radiation is not effective because of the location.

If the risk has been put at 5% or even 10% I probably would not have done the surgery. But 30%- at the time I felt that was too high. Now I'm not so sure. I want my cat alive, of course, but I also want him happy- I hate feeling that I've traded his health for his joy!
Cody's Mom

Post by Cody's Mom »

Hey Jennifer,

I posted to you before, but just want to say again that I think you should quit beating yourself up. I think you did the best thing for your cat after researching and making an informed decision. If you feel guilty now just because he isn't playful, think how you would feel if you had left the bad eye in there and he died of cancer?

I have seen lots of one eyed animals flourish and I think he will do the same after he adjusts. I even saw a one eyed horse used to pony Thoroughbreds at the race track.

Much love and best wishes,

Cody's forever proud Mom