Help Needed: Advice and Help for Lilly Kitten

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Angie

Help Needed: Advice and Help for Lilly Kitten

Post by Angie »

Hi, I have recently been caring for a 2 month old kitten that was found with a broken pelvis and possibly small vertebrea fraction. Her name is Lilly and she has no rear leg function, nor does she have function to her bladder or bowels. She is quite a sweet little angel and loves people and my other pets very much! She just got out of the hospital 2 days ago and has been under my care since. I have been doing as much research as possible, so that I may give her a comfortable, happy, and healthy life. I have made her a temporary cart so that she may be able to strengthen her front legs to prepare for when she is bigger and can get fitted for a permanet cart. I used a child's rollerskate and made several alterations to it. She's so adorable in it; still working on getting used to it. I'm concerned about the financial aspect of purchasing a chair for her. I was wondering if anyone knew of any assistance programs out there for special needs animals? or had any fund raising ideas. I also was wondering if anyone knew of the approximate age that she can be fitted for a cart? I am very new to all of this and am doing my best! My little angel has taken right hold of my heart and I will do whatever is in my power to do the "best" for her! Any input would be greatly appreciated! Love from my Lilly Bug!
critters
Founding Member

Re: Help Needed: Advice and Help for Lilly Kitten

Post by critters »

What happened to her, and when was she hurt? Buddy rested for 2 or 3 weeks following his spinal cord injury; dogs usually do longer. He initially was 100% paralyzed and incontinent (hit by car). He was hit Apr. 9 and is now "walking," climbing, doing stairs, and pooping on his own. He doesn't yet pee on his own, at least not reliably.

There are meds to help with peeing; Buddy takes Bethanechol, and a softener for poop is recommended. Buddy likes lactulose, and it's cheap and effective.

As for carts, there are homemade, plus you might be able to get financial aid. Even so, your baby might recover enough mobility to not need it! A permanent cart would be fitted when she stops growing.

Forgot what else you asked...
Carol T.

Post by Carol T. »

Lily is a lucky little baby to have a caring mom like you!! Yes...your kitty has to be full grown before being fitted for a permanent cart. I would contact the various cart manufacturers and ask them. I wouldn't think such a small cart would be all that expensive. Some manufacturers have used carts for sale, but as mentioned above, she may recover to the point where she doesn't need one!!! I'm wondering if she shouldn't be getting crate rest right now to facilitate healing. Hopefully one of the others with similar experience will respond and advise. Good luck with your new baby!!!
Diana R.

Post by Diana R. »

I have a cat named Simon who I got in Aug. 2002 from the Friends of Rifle Animal SHelter in Colorado (he was on the Pets with Disabilities network). They initially thought his back was broken, however, I had Simon radiographed and he was born with severe deformities and is paralyzed in the back legs. He also has needs his bladder expressed 3 - 4 times a day. I considered getting him a cart, however, he does just fine pulling himself around in the house. He will not get any better. Also, I questioned since cats sleep alot how he would rest in the cart. So you may want to wait and see how he does and opt not to get him a cart. I also have a pit bull who I got in Dec. 2005 who has partial paralysis of his back legs. He does have a cart which we use on his walks. However, again he does not sit in it during the day. He has been in physical therapy and now is able to walk (wobbly) and pee and poop while standing up. He can even run in his own way after balls. So long story short I would check with your vet (preferably one who specializes in orthopedics) and see what needs to be done and whether in time Lilly will be able to walk on her own. Diana R.
CarolC

That's cool that you have 2

Post by CarolC »

BethT has a wheelchair pitbull named Waffles. I am curious about your cat's deformities. I'd like to know more about him. There have been several cats here with congenital deformities. On has a hemivertebra. Another has spina bifida. Another had problems with lax joints, curved overgrown long bones, and his heart.
Diana R.

Re: That's cool that you have 2

Post by Diana R. »

Carol:

I actually have more than two with physical deformities. Simon is the most severe. He has no deep pain sensation in his legs and they are rigid sticking out toward his left side. The bones grow but he has no muscle mass. He also has deformities of his spinal column which has a hump around the T4 -T8 area with a continuing spine curvature. I have another cat named Glory who had a break in the lumbar region early in life that healed at a 45 degree angle. She is able to use her back legs to push and is quite mobile going up and down stairs and the cat trees. She can poop and pee on her own although I do stimulate her bladder once a day since she would be prone to urinary infections. My cat Rupert has twisted limbs on both his tarsus. So he walks like a crab but again is quite mobile and able to use the litter box. He was labelled feral at our municipal shelter and was going to be euthanized. I offered to adopt him and pay the adoption fee and explained to the Kennel Manager about Simon; she initially said no but then relented. He is doing fine. Sundance who is 7 this year has radial hypoplasia in his right arm; also deformities in his left arm so he walks on his forearm; he has spinal curvature and half a tail and actually looks like a rabbit from behind. Gracie has no back feet and I recently adopted her. She was adopted from a no-kill shelter that I volunteer at and apparently her owners said she was using the litter box. Instead of returning her to the no-kill shelter they took her to an open admissions shelter. I saw and recognized her on petfinders and went and got her out of there. Finally my cat Simba who I fostered has a ventricular septal defect or a hole in between the two lower heart chambers. He has yearly ultrasounds and a grade 4 heart murmur but is doing well and is such a doll. I can definitely say my life is much richer with them.
Diana
CarolC

Re: That's cool that you have 2

Post by CarolC »

There are several people who should read your message, I am going to put a note about it at the top of the message board so it will be seen. I will reread it tomorrow, too much to tackle right now--how COOL!
critters
Founding Member

I emailed the group to come. :) *NoMsg*

Post by critters »

critters
Founding Member

You're DEFINITELY in the right place!!

Post by critters »

Hope you'll stay around with us; we always need a variety of experienced handi-critter parents around here!
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

wow!

Post by Bendy Kitty »

suddenly all us kitties here feel much more "normal."
i was born with bent legs, but they straightend with help from some soft braces. i have a fused lower spine, associated arthritis, and am a fragile kitty in general. Twobit was born w/out hind legs but gets around fine. we are forever amazed at how well animals adapt.
do you have any picts of your crew? or a website?
we're glad you are here!
bet your experience can help a lot of other people!

bendy