Story: some good news about aphrodite!

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Jean

Re: NDR Barbara Boehmer has a really nice cat enclosure--thi

Post by Jean »

Hi Heather,

I have two really nice cat enclosures that the cats just love. They are both on cement slabs. The first one, I bought from C and D Pet Products at www.cdpets.com. It is 6'x 6' x6'. It is made of wood. It has shelves fastened to the sides that the cats love climbing. I put a Rubbermaid container in the enclosure with soft bedding and it has a hole that the cats can come in and out of in case it rains, etc. I also have a covered cat litter box that I can totally close off at night or when the cats are not in the enclosure.

The second enclosure is smaller but identical and I had it build using the patttern from the larger one.

I didn't realize until I got the enclosures how much the cats truly were missing by not being allowed outside. SO they still get the stimulation of the outside but with the protect of an enclosure./Jean
marilynb

Re: visualization technique

Post by marilynb »

Thank you carol for your advice on putting a Kotex or a poise inside a wrap for a dashound I was wondering if you put a maxi pad or a super pad
my dog doesn't seem to urinate too much at a time. I hope you can help me with this.

thank you,

Marilyn
CarolC

About Bendy Kitty *LINK*

Post by CarolC »

Dear Robyn,

Bendy is the imaginary character of a young male cat who likes shrimpies, bellywaves, and headbonks. There is a real Bendy Kitty who overcame disability.

The person who writes using the Bendy persona is unable to call the vet "ignorant", "misguided", "narrow-minded", "precipitous", or any of the other terms that might be more appropriate, because those words would be out of character for the Bendy Kitty persona. If Bendy gleefully calls the vet "stupid", the rest of us know better than to take it literally.

As far as judging the competence of a vet in the area of disabled animals, the person writing as Bendy is more than qualified to do so. From what I know, the person writing as Bendy is doing the max to make a living and care for a house full of disabled kitties, and does not deserve to be sidetracked by this kind of quibbling. If you want to do something constructive, you could buy something from the Bendy store (link below) to support the good cause.

If you have time and energy to split hairs over terminology, you have marked yourself as being in a different world from some of the core people here.

Please read the following message from Mark Robinson, who runs this website.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/cgi-bin/ ... read=10049

Bendy's website
Paul Coover

Terminology

Post by Paul Coover »

I think that we are all on the same page, it is just the description of the vet that we are not agreeing on. I must admit that I have educated many a vet and vet tech about handicapped dogs, and I have only had wonderful experiences with all of them. I have had my disagreements with people regarding my dogs, but their ignorance did not dissuade me.

Just last weekend I took my gang to a fund raising event at the local Humane Society, and I loved talking to all of the people about my guys. Johanmna and Pork Chop were the stars of the show! They loved all of the attention!

There will always be ignorant people out there, and some of them just happen to be veterinarians. I just look at it this way: it is my job to educate people on how well handicapped dogs can live their lives.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

i do hav a degree,

Post by Bendy Kitty »

I am Bendy Kitty, DVB.

that is, Doctor of Vetrinary Bendiness.

yep, the vet confirmed it, said we'd earned it by all our hard work.

thank u Carol. I was kinda wonderin if this lady understood she was talking to a cat.

I'm going to ignore that part where you said I was imaginary....

Bendy
Weeble's :o~ mom Beth

Re: another stupid vet story

Post by Weeble's :o~ mom Beth »

Yes there are stupid vets in the world. There is one here(no I would NEVER take my babies to him!) & here are a couple of stories.....he put newborn chihuahua pups directly on a heating pad, no towl on top, burned the pups severly. Told a client tat her chihuahua had gotten asthma from her. The same client was trying to bottle feed a kitten, milk was coming out of it's nose, he told her she was feeding it too much...it's tummy was full & the only place for the milk to come out was thru it's nose. Sorry don't think that is just incompetence it's plain stupidity!
critters
Founding Member

Very well said!! *NoMsg*

Post by critters »

Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

something we really appreciate about our vet

Post by Bendy Kitty »

is that if he doesn't know what to do he says so. he will tell mom "this is a specialty clinic cat" sometimes mom talks with the other vets in the clinic and maybe they come up with a few more ideas (this is how we found out Jean-Claude had heartworm) to try, maybe not.
But they don't make things up, their interest really is for the animals and if they don't feel they can help they will reccomend sending the fur to somewhere that can.

hm maybe we could have a contest for stupid vet stories....

bendy
Cindy

Re: Yeah, I had a stupid vet or twelve

Post by Cindy »

Robyn, I'm new to this space due to a pet crisis of my own but I have to say that you have the most offensive, sanctamonious, and judgemental tone of anyone I've read on this site. I'm assuming that you are a nurse,well good for you. I'm also a registered professional in the healthcare field, and your attitude towards Karen and the others is an embarrassment. How dare you assume that Karen's son was mentally ill?! Do you know them personally? I've gained a lot from the wonderful people on this site since Valo got injured. I'm glad I didn't receive any response from you initially or I would have missed out on getting to know the others. As my grandmother used to say "if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all!" Respectfully, Cindy, Valo's mom
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Only if we make it "interesting" .... he he I've got an Ace

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

and NO, not an Ace bandage!
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Cindy would you please post to EIEIOHMY above?

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

You are a strong woman of conviction and I am sitting here saying ... well, speechless, actually. God bless you for standing up for others. Andy smiles today.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

i don't kno about an Ace

Post by Bendy Kitty »

but maybe if you have a SHRIMPIE in your pocket!

*wiggling little bobtail cutely*

bendy
Friend2Dogs

Re: Yeah, I had a stupid vet or twelve

Post by Friend2Dogs »

Very well sadi and I wish I had been the one to say it!!!
Heather

Re: Very well said!!

Post by Heather »

Wow!! I leave you people for two days and and my cat has started a fight about vets!! LOL! She is such an instigator! *SIGH* well, my new vet is more helpful, but Im still stressed! I took her in on Sat and Sun (twice a day) and Sunday night her bladder was hardly full. This morning the same thing. So the vet said he wasnt going to express it and we would check it tonight. I took her in at 530 tonight and it was a bit more full. He had me try to express her and again, i couldnt. But then we figured out part of the problem. She is holding in the pee when I try. He said it would be pretty hard for me to do on my own since he knew exactly where to push and not much was coming out. She went A LOT in her box though so that makes me happy. We are now going to expressing once a day and then hopefully down to none. That makes me nervous though cuz I dont want her to not be emptying it all the way and get a UTI. Its funny that you all mentioned an enclosement for cats. That is exactly what I spent my whole weekend doing! my dad came over and helped me go to home depot and get supplies and we built a gigantic cat cage. I had to because I have a little dog who uses the dog door (along with the cats) so I couldnt block it up. I am really wondering if there is someone in my neighborhood with a cat problem. My neighbors cat just got poisoned and cats dont usually eat anything that smells bad or tastes wierd, so I am thinking it was very intentional.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Very well said!!

Post by critters »

Sounds like you had a productive weekend! If she can pee on her own, IMO you're in MUCH better shape, and hopefully she'll improve even more. Buddy's bladder is a short-tethered water balloon, deepish RIGHT between his hips. I lay him on his back, whereas most vets do it from the side.