Cats: Broken back leg - what to do

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
SandyNY

Re: Cats: Broken back leg - what to do

Post by SandyNY »

Another thought - after it has been a few days, maybe it is not broken but a bite. My cats have bitten each other - deep and it takes a few days before it gets to a point that you can see the wound. I would look for any evidence of broken skin or laceration. He can have a temp and be eating and drinking; temp could be caused by infection from whatever caused the injury. I would watch for any abnormal behavior - like sleepiness or seaking out a dark spot to be. Any case, i would doubt amputation would be necessary If it is, a cat could easily learn to get around on three legs.
Cindy Westerdale

Post by Cindy Westerdale »

Hi Evelyn, I'm sure you've taken your cat to the vet by now, so this may be too late. Just a word of encouragement, I have a cat who thinks he is part flying squirrel. Stryker came home one day with a broken rear leg. The vet we took him to initially gave us 2 options. They were surgically repair it for approx. $1500 or amputate for $750. We chose a 2nd opinion. The next vet said that he could surgically repair for a little less,and he would limp and have artritis when he got older. OR we could leave it alone (confinement , rest and wrapping it) and he would limp and have arthritis when he got older. Be sure you are comfortable with your decision, it's not an easy one. You're all in our prayers.
CarolC

Hi Evelyn

Post by CarolC »

Hi Evelyn,

I hope you and Stevie are doing OK. You're in my thoughts. Best wishes to both of you.
eieiohmy

Evelyn,

Post by eieiohmy »

Although I would not have taken the same approach, I APPLAUD you for not being like the majority of "pet owners" and ignoring the sitation or worse deciding to take little Steve out back and "end his suffering".

You thought enough about him to seek, what you thought would be the voices of experience and for that Steve is lucky!

It never fails in groups that once someone posts a nasty, more will follow, the thing is things are usually read into a post that isn't even there. As a few replies suggest that you almost "want" to amputate his leg.

If your like me at all, you have just had enough lemonade to sink the titanic from all the lemons life has thrown at you and wanted to explore what you considered the "worse case scenerio".

From someone who has had her share of vets that only want to deal with the easy, tasks like routine vaccinations, I also APPLAUD you for wanting to know what to do. All to often furmom's trust vets and with there being those that don't want to deal with these types of things would follow an unnecessary recommendation as euthanisia. Or some misguided vets may make it sound like it wouldn't be humane to amputate.

At least you were not one of those!

Isn't this board here to help???? Did anyone, help anyone in this thread?????

Maybe Evelyn didn't handle things the way you and I would have but she could have handled things much, much worse! NOW, when she has a decision to make or one is made and her and Steve needs help adjusting to it, she will not feel like she can post here to get help from those who know how to help, Isn't that what this group is all about. Getting help! And not the popularity contest, it seems to have turned into!

It is sad when it is almost a contest whose poor furbaby has suffered more, making that poster "wiser" than the others! Or even still when some with experience and takes every opportunity to show how much they know, skips over some pleas for help or suggesting like the post wasn't even there????

Who is worse, one lady , needing reassurance, about what to do and how to handle a Dr's appt. a group of ladies with knowledge and experience that just pushed a needy soul away.

Evelyn, if you read this you are NOT alone and NOT everyone feels the same way. My best to you and Steve, Take care, Christie
Cody's Mom

Re: Evelyn,

Post by Cody's Mom »

Popularity contest ??????? I just don't get that vibe here. It's JUST people helping people help their animals - that's all.
LisainCAN

Re: Evelyn,

Post by LisainCAN »

Were some posts removed? Did I miss something?

Christie, I know that you post on the Yahoo boards and they are full of negative, condescending posts on a daily basis. I have NEVER seen that go on here other than the horrible post directed at Cody's FOREVER Proud Mom and it was removed almost immediately by the vigilant mods.

Evelyn, the bottom line is ... how's Stevie today?

I also have a three-legged cat. He was a stray who was hit by a car and left to die. When I saw him at my regular vet after some kind soul brought him in, with an 8" wound down to the muscle layer, I knew I had to help him so I adopted him and took him to a specialized animal hospital. They had to amputate the leg as it was shattered but they used the skin from his leg to stretch it up over the wound so that it could be closed without additional skin grafts.

I am sharing Skittle's story, not to say how wonderful I am for saving this poor cat, but to show you that there is always hope and that there are others in this world, like you, who care a lot about animals.

Oh and by the way, I live on a farm too, and although Skittles is an inside-only cat, he could probably take on a bear. He is fearless and still has both front legs to defend himself. Also, many "city" folks don't really understand what it is like on the farms and how animals live. After what I have seen around here(chained up dogs, unvetted cats producing at will, rotting carcasses, neglect, filth, etc.), I absolutely applaud you for wanting to help Stevie.

Please let us know how things are going.

Lisa and Skittles.
Barbara Boehmer

cat chases bear up tree *LINKS*

Post by Barbara Boehmer »

When you said that "although Skittles is an inside-only cat, he could probably take on a bear", it reminded me of this article I saw about a clawless cat chasing a bear up a tree twice. The first link has a picture tht shows the cat, the tree, and the bear, all in one photo. The second link has closeups of the bear and the cat.

cat, bear, and tree

closeups of bear and cat
BethT

Re: cat chases bear up tree *LINKS*

Post by BethT »

Hi Barbara,

Hope you are doing well. Funny, I thought of the exact same story! We are a tough punch here in Jersey!!!
Beth
LisainCAN

Re: cat chases bear up tree *LINKS* *PIC*

Post by LisainCAN »

Actually, although Skittles has a lot of heart, Jack actually reminds me more of my tailless, 15 lb. Maine Coon mix, Harry. Harry has Manx Syndrome, AND a lot of moxie!

Here is a picture of him scaring a can of food!

Christine

Post by Christine »

Hi Evelyn,

Been thinking about you your Stevie...how is he doing and how are you doing. Please keep us posted. Christine and Bailey