Amputation: Surgical amputation of half of tongue

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Debra

Amputation: Surgical amputation of half of tongue

Post by Debra »

Our 11 yr old pomeranian had a tumor removed from her tongue yesterday and we are looking for advice. She seems to be eating soft food well, but is having a hard time drinking water from a bowl. I'm hoping someone may have a tip or two as to what I can do to relieve her frustration over not being able to drink. Right now I am squirting water from a baby bottle into the corner of her mouth. I understand that not much time has passed, and when her tongue has healed she may not have any trouble at all, but I would still love to hear from someone that might have been in my shoes.
Cody's Mom

Re: Amputation: Surgical amputation of half of tongue

Post by Cody's Mom »

Hi Debra,

Wow, I don't know. Did the vet say how long it should take for her to adapt? Maybe there is still some numbness in her tongue from the surgery. Sounds like what you are doing with the baby bottle is good. Maybe make her soft food real soupy and she will get more water like that. My guess is that she needs time to get used to it. She probably feels like what we feel like getting home from the dentist and our tongue is still numb.

If she isn't doing better after several days, do you think she could learn to drink from a water bottle (like the kind for rabbits)? I don't know - that might be a wild idea, but it's an idea. I think she could just hold her tongue on the ball part and the water will come out on it's own. She wouldn't have to do so much lapping, just swallowing. I've never seen a dog drink out of those, so maybe that's a stupid idea. LOL (Forgive me if it's idiotic)

Best wishes for her speedy recovery.

Much love,

Cody's FOREVER proud Mom
Carol T.

Post by Carol T. »

I think Cody's Mom gave you a good idea. I'm pretty sure I've heard of dogs and cats drinking from those water bottles. Recently when I had to force water on my dog that had a urinary infection, I used a syringe. I think he enjoyed the attention, and he just kept swallowing the water as it came out. I think that water bottle might work in about the same way. It's worth a try!!
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

My son was born with many birth defects, the slightest of which was a tied tongue. He couldn't nurse or take a bottle. At 13 months, all surgeries started. Including the tongue.
I bit off part of my tongue in an automobile accident. Also broke jaw and both legs, shoulder, sternum and skull so the tongue was the least of my worries as well.
But tongues heal amazingly quickly! Salt water healed mine so very quickly, so I used that with my baby.
I also soak my dogs' food before they eat. For hours. And there is so much moisture in that food (and I subsequently discovered canned food is mostly water) that they can get a ton of water just through their food. Blindpups knock over water bowls when they travel at the speed of sound.
So I would say soak her food in a LOT of water. And ask doc if she can have salt in her watery gruel...
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm pretty sure I've seen "rabbit bottles" for dogs, too, although my critters never took to them. I, too, think it's a great idea, and drinking in a more upright position would probably help avoid aspirating water into the lungs if the tongue wasn't up to the job.
lynrentess

Post by lynrentess »

hello . our elderly and toy possessed border collie lost half of her tongue yesterday in a fight . we took her to the vets and she was cleaned up but during the night half of her tongue was in her bed! the vet said she would be ok and is on antibiotics . worried about her drinking. we have managed to feed her sloppy dog meat and she has been wanting to play tonight . she seems as though she will be ok . we are syringing water down her throat. love the idea someone suggested with hot dog sausages for food. thanks to everyone on this site . I have read your stories and am now convinced she will be ok!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: lyrentess! Things take time, but most critters learn to use what they have to the best of their ability.