Dogs: Please Help Save Darla!

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
sheryl

Dogs: Please Help Save Darla!

Post by sheryl »

Hi, This is all new to us. We got our first pet she's now a 51/2 month old yorkie named Darla. We love her so much!! She was just diagnosed with a severe heart problem ( she was born with it) she will die shortly without surgery (a balloon type insert) and we cannot afford this procedure, it was estimated at around $4000.00 We are devistated! She is our baby and we want to help her. Our question is is there any such place that will do cheaper surgerys for low income families or even a payment plan, it kills us to think she will die just because we dont have the money to try and save her! Please help if you know of anything we can do. Love Darlas owners The Keseian Family please contact us at keseian@comcast.com thank you and please say a prayer for Darla (she's so sweet!)
Cody's Mom

Re: Dogs: Please Help Save Darla!

Post by Cody's Mom »

Hi Sheryl,

Try not panic - I know it's hard not to. There is a plan called Care Credit which allows payments. There are also lots of groups which offer financial aid once you qualify. I'm not good with computers, so I don't have the links to those, but Carol C or someone else will post them I'm sure.

Try to relax for now until they do and then you can get busy applying for aid.

Love, Cody's FOREVER proud Mom
Cody's Mom

Post by Cody's Mom »

Ok, I found these for financial aid on a post down on the board, but I don't think these are going to work by clicking on them. Be patient - someone will post later.

AAHA
AAHA

Angels4Animals
Angels4Animals

Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance Program
FVEAP

Help-A-Pet
Help-A-Pet

HandicappedPets
HandicappedPets

Care Credit (loans)
Care Credit

Pet Fund
Pet Fund

United Animal Nations
United Animal Nations

Cats in Crisis (chronic)
Cats In Crisis

IMOM.org
IMOM.org
Carol T.

Re: Dogs: Please Help Save Darla! *LINK*

Post by Carol T. »

Hi Sheryl!
So sorry to hear about your little Darla. I have a Yorkie, too, and they are so precious. I'm including a link to a post that included info on some of the organizations that might provide financial assistance. Some are grants and some are loans. You didn't say where you are located. There's a woman on here who lives in Arkansas. She found a vet in Tennessee who was willing to do the surgery and take payments. I would check out the financial aid possibilities and at the same time call around to other vets. There may even be a Yorkie organization that offers help. Please keep us posted. I'll keep Darla in my prayers.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/cgi-bin/ ... read=26809
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Thank you CarolT, I was just going to link that.
If your little girl was purchased, you can nag the breeder to cough up some $$ for the medical bills.
All too often our critters (sorry critters) die because we cannot afford to write a check on the spot. We simply do not have it.
Explain to your doctor that this little girl is precious, she is your life. Ask him if he would have her destroyed because you cannot write a check on the spot. I have asked docs over the years, and the veterinarians have worked with me. The human docs have not :(
sheryl

Post by sheryl »

Thank you all who have responded! This is all so overwhelming! Everybody has been very helpful! thanks Sheryl & Darla
Cody's Mom

Post by Cody's Mom »

Andy's Mom is right. Sounds like this is a genetic problem she was born with. If this is a reputable breeder, they should be willing to help out with the costs. I'd call them up and let them know. If they are a good breeder, they won't want any bad press.
Carol T.

Post by Carol T. »

Please keep us posted. I agree with approaching the breeder. If they refuse, Small Claims Court might be the way to go. Have you found any assistance yet?
sheryl

Post by sheryl »

The breeder is from Delightfulpets.com we found it on line. Its in Wisconcin, we are from Mass. She only would pay for 1/2 the ultrasound test and will now not get back to me about helping with money. Sounds like she wont, but i'm still trying. I am looking into angels for animals/the Guardian angel plan. They are going to get back to me. I'm so nervous--every little thing Darla does i think she's getting sicker! I'm so worried and so are my husband and 3 kids. --and yes the doctors said she was born with it! sheryl
Cody's Mom

Post by Cody's Mom »

I don't know if you can legally make them help pay or not, but I would certainly see to it that they get lots of bad press. While it isn't their fault the dog has a congenital heart defect (unless the parents do and they know about it and continue to breed), you would think they would step up and do the right thing and help you out.

I think I would warn them you are going to give them lots of bad press and see if that will encourage them to help you. If not, make good on your promise to let everyone know how they treated you.

Cody's Mom

Post by Cody's Mom »

When I go to www.delightfulpets.com, I don't get anything. Is that not the right address?
Barbara Boehmer

Re: Dogs: Please Help Save Darla! *LINKS*

Post by Barbara Boehmer »

I did some brief internet searching and it appears that the company uses the names delightful pets, delightful pups, and delightful puppies. The better business bureau lists the nature of the business as selling puppies and gives them a satisfactory rating, but an unhappy customer has accused them of running a bad puppy mill.

Here is a link to their website:
http://www.delightfulpups.com/

Here is a link to a better business bureau report on the company:
http://www.wisconsin.bbb.org/commonrepo ... d=44006806

Here is something from an unhappy customer:
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff190943.htm
Carol T.

Re: Dogs: Please Help Save Darla! *LINKS*

Post by Carol T. »

Good research, Barbara!! That might give them some leverage. They might suggest to the breeder that unless she helps, they will file a complaint with the BBB. They also need to make the breeder aware that they're aware of a previous complaint.
Carol T.

Post by Carol T. »

Bless your heart. I can only imagine what you're going through. Please check with other vets to see if they will take payments, even if it's in a neighboring state. Ask your vet if he/she will take payments, and if not, could they possibly refer you to someone who would? I don't know if any vet school would do that, but all avenues need to be explored. My prayers are with you and with Darla.
sheryl

Post by sheryl »

Hello, Thank you all again for your help. I ccouldnt believe what we had read about the previous complaint! Wgen we got Darla she as loaded with worms and we are still fighting a skin condition that the vet cannot diagnose! We are using a medicated shampoo and it seems to be helping a little. We have been so focused on her heart. I will let delightful pets know we read about and are willing to take action / regarding the other complaints. sheryl