Help Needed: horses

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
holly

Re: Help Needed: horses

Post by holly »

she is 25 years old when I rescued her three years ago she came out from CA. She had a hard time moving after getting out and she refused to eat or drink the entire trip.
Cody's Mom

Post by Cody's Mom »

I could be wrong, but I think she would make the trip fine. Lots of horses refuse to eat or drink while traveling.

I have a 24 year old mare who is very healthy, although she gets stiff also due to arthritis I am sure. I have to Bute her the night before the blacksmith comes and then she is fine. If I forget the Bute, she jumps around a lot and makes it hard on the blacksmith.

I think your mare would travel fine. It would need to be a two day trip. She should be tubed with mineral oil just before departure and I would also recommend Bute for the soreness and Banamine as well to prevent colic. It would be better if she could travel at night so it wouldn't be so hot.
Barbara Boehmer

Post by Barbara Boehmer »

It is unclear exactly what you are asking for. In your original post you said that you needed to adopt out one horse in order to keep the other two, but now you are saying that the problem is that no one gives money. Perhaps you are trying to get too much from one place. If the problem is that you cannot find a rescue organization that will adopt one horse and pay your overdue board bill, then you are probably expecting too much. I suggest that you ask them to just adopt the horse without also giving money to pay your board bill and that you take out a short-term loan or use a credit card for things like groceries, so that you have the money to pay the board bill, or sell something or pawn something or whatever you can do to arrange to pay the board. If you cannot do that, then maybe you need to ask one or more rescue groups to take all three horses. At least it would be better than having them go to slaughter. If you cannot pay the board bill now, how will you be able to support them in the future?
Barbara Boehmer

Post by Barbara Boehmer »

I thought that I would add a little clarification. I understand that, from your point of view, you want to have somebody adopt the horse and that you cannot give them the horse unless the $300 overdue board is paid, so you want them to pay that as well. However, you need to look at it from the point of view of the organization that you are asking this of. From their point of view, it is the same as asking them to buy your horse for $300, but these organizations are not in the business of buying horses. That is why I think you need to find some sort of way to separate the two issues, arranging the adoption through some organization and getting the funding from one or more other sources. If you are only looking for one organization that will do both, then I doubt you will find one.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Getting the media involved. *PIC*

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

When St.Jude was found in my yard, death was NOT an option. This shattered pup wanted to LIVE. So! First I called Hilton Head Humane. They called The Big Dog Fund in Augusta GA. I called Beaufort Humane. I wrote an article for the newspaper, from the heart. I took his photos to Home Depot, sobbing. I wrote a couple more articles for Beaufort Gazette & Island Packet. WSAV-TV came out with a camera man and reporter to do a story on this miracle pup who reached out to 3-4 counties in 2 states to raise his own rescue funds. I did follow up articles. You have to write these yourself, from your heart. You can write from the horse's POV, those are the most heartwrenching.
1) http://www.beaufortgazette.com/features ... 8737c.html
2) http://www.beaufortgazette.com/local_ne ... 2719c.html
3)http://www.beaufortgazette.com/features ... 7503c.html

HandicappedPets
1) http://www.beaufortgazette.com/features ... 5308c.html
2)http://www.islandpacket.com/editorial/c ... 8697c.html

Something else I do is attend every single rescue event and set up an educational rescue booth. As well as 3rd Sats. at Petsmart. We make the news every time. I don't ask for money but still people feel they have to give. They are so moved by the stories of these miracle magical pups. Folks donated prizes they won at SpringPetFling to LWAR-C.
1) http://www.beaufortgazette.com/local_ne ... 7308c.html
Our Rosalie, in Summerville, SC, and her miracle MUM, won the most moving rescue story. And it was. I know Rosie's story, and yet, I choke tears, just listening to it.
LWAR-C got unimaginable exposure by this one event.
You simply have to put your cause out there. Put your heart and soul and typing fingers in it. The media LOVES a feel good story. And if an animal is in dire straits, as was dear St.Jude, they WILL RESPOND! Vets, techs, home improvement stores, 2 newspapers, 1 television station, and too many rescues to count.
You have to work at it, but it is a work that is borne of love and you will get sooo much warm and fuzzy from it!

Weeble's :o~ mom Beth

Holly I am in Los Lunas

Post by Weeble's :o~ mom Beth »

Don't know if I can be of any help, I can't afford the $300 you are asking for, but I have room for one of your babies. I have a 10 year old donkey that lost her brother.(my appy gelding) Have tried since (when I had the $!) to find her another pal with no luck. I live on 1/2 acre with a 25x25 ft barn with ceiling fans in it. Bubbles now has two La Mancha weathers for buddies, but she would tell you herself they are a poor subsitute for another horse.
To let you know about me, I have my own home pet care business & am active in chihuahua rescue, & a little over a year ago adopted Weeble my "crack" pup, was fed or got into crack is what the vet thinks. As a result has Ceberal Palsy, unable to walk or stand on his own.
If I can help please e-mail me at drbatsdolittle@webtv.net
I do know about the horse rescues here & yes they sometimes do not return calls or e-mails.....mainly because I think they are soooo overwhelmed, afterall this is N.M.!
LisainCAN (formerly just

Post by LisainCAN (formerly just »

Hi Holly,

I wish I were closer. I would love to have horses, especially special-needs ones. Since I can't be of any real help, I just want to wish you luck. It must be devastatingly hard.

Any news as of today?

Lisa.
Weeble's :o~ mom Beth

Has anyone heard from Holly?????? *NoMsg*

Post by Weeble's :o~ mom Beth »

no msg
Toni

I missed it...what state are you in?

Post by Toni »

I quickly reviewed the messages in your thread and didn't see what state you are in. If you are in or near Minnesota I might know a few people and groups that could help you and your hooved family out.
Cody's Mom

Re: I missed it...what state are you in?

Post by Cody's Mom »

Hey Toni,

Great to see you posting again. Holly is in New Mexico.

Take care,

Cody's FOREVER proud Mom