Help Needed: horses

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
holly

Help Needed: horses

Post by holly »

I am out of ideas and I need help. I don't like posting this type of thing online but I need ideas.

I have three horses.
The first is a 25 year old blind appy mare. I rescued her three years ago. She has lost her sight in both eyes but is a great horse and still has a lot of years left on her. :) She was on her way to slaughter for her only fault of being blind and afraid.
My gelding. He is a rescue that was going to be pts. He is a young guy of 7 years. He was very badly abused and has a fracture on the withers and burns over his body. What maybe worse the the emotional abuse he has suffered. I have had him for a year now.
My last and most adoptable horse is a 4 year old pregnant mare. She is fine but is a recent rescue and is thin. She needs some training but is a great horse.

Here is my problem. I need to adopt out my pregnant mare to keep my other two horses. I am in a huge money mess. Thus far I have had no luck at adopting her out. I need to raise 300 to pay off their boarding fee so I can move them out to a safe location. I had done some artwork for some people whom turned out when they paid didn't have the money so my boarding check bounced.

I have references from the vets, people that know me and the stable owners that will tell you my story is true. But the fact of the matter is I have till friday to find the money or the lady takes my horses to the auction. More then likely the first two will go to slaughter because of their problems. I need ideas. I have asked family friends but no one can help. I tried a yard sale and made 30 dollars. :( Not even nearly enough.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Help Needed: horses

Post by critters »

I don't know squat about horses, but maybe search up some rescue organizations? You might post your general location in case anybody's near.
Barbara Boehmer

Post by Barbara Boehmer »

A google search for "horse rescue" returns a long list of horse rescue organizations:

horse rescue

In what area are the horses stabled?
Cody's Mom

Post by Cody's Mom »

Holly, please e-mail me at kfw73@yahoo.com

Cody's FOREVER proud Mom
holly

Post by holly »

Yes I contacted all the rescues for horses in my state and even the general contacts I have in animal rights with no luck. I am located near albuquerque nm.
holly

Post by holly »

Yes I have tried the rescued in and outside of my state. No one gives money unless the horse is sick with some sort of illness or hurt.
holly

Post by holly »

I just emailed you.
Cody's Mom

Post by Cody's Mom »

Hey Holly,

In the article above about Molly with the prosthetic limb, it says Molly's owner has started a retirement place called Pony Paradise. Would it be a possibility to see if they would take your 25 year old blind mare? Just a thought to ease some of the burden.

I'm not sure how you would get the contact info. Perhaps if you contacted the newspaper that printed it, they would call the lady for you and have her call you back.

Love, Cody's FOREVER proud Mom
critters
Founding Member

Hmm. Karen!!

Post by critters »

Karen has great ideas for rousing the media and/or fundraising. I'd contact bestfriends.org ASAP; their network may be able to place her. In fact, their network is how I came to have Buddy, my paralyzed boy.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Yes, there are rescues all over the country

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

who will help you out, no matter the state. there are many many here in SC.
Was looking into a rescue horse myself. You can actually find quite a few on www.petfinder.com.

Horse rescues are your best bet, and they will jump in there to help you out.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

I am stunned horse rescue has let you down!

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

That is unthinkable! Yes, critters, I do know how to get the media heartstrings ahummin. Will get on this as soon as I get home tonight.
holly

Re: Hmm. Karen!!

Post by holly »

I havent contacted BFs yet I will look up their number and give them a call I have mostly wrote or called horse rescues or emergency funding groups.
holly

Post by holly »

She could never be transported so far her health would fail her. A rescue would also need to be willing to pay some of the fee to get her out because the lady will not her go otherwise.
holly

Re: I am stunned horse rescue has let you down!

Post by holly »

Its really not a surprise they just lack the funding more then anything I guess. I don't know. A few never even bothered to call back even after several emails and phone calls. I know they had to check them because I have been trying for a month now.
If you can help with the media that would be great. They are such nice horses and they are my family. I would walk through fire if it would help them.
Cody's Mom

Post by Cody's Mom »

Why would her health fail her? I thought she was in good shape other than being blind.