Help Needed: Recovery from paralyzed back legs

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Diana Allen

Help Needed: Recovery from paralyzed back legs

Post by Diana Allen »

Our 11 year old beagle had surgery Jan. 6 this year for a ruptured disc which paralyzed her back legs. She is recovering and walks fairly well with a bottoms-up sling to separate and support her rear legs and with us carrying a fair bit of weight. With just a towel sling she can keep her legs apart only some of the time. I started taking her to treadmill/water therapy recently and massaging her daily.

But we are discouraged because her legs seem less strong than they were 4 or 5 weeks ago. Also her legs vary and can be pretty strong on one walk and then drag some on the next walk. And she has started retaining urine now and then, which gets accidentally expressed when we get her up. She has pooping accidents now and then and yesterday had diarrhea for the first time. I worry that massaging near her incisison site has hurt her.

I would love to hear the experiences other people have had in similar situations. I want this to work but don't know how long to keep at it. Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated!
Tiffany

Re: Help Needed: Recovery from paralyzed back legs

Post by Tiffany »

Hello
My GSD Eros was hit by a pickup last November and had a partial fracture in his back wich they stabalized with a pin in his spine. It took him about 3 months to start walking on his own and about 2 months for his bladder function to return. It has now been about 8 months and he is running around like his old self (almost, he was REALLY messed up) but still can't always keep his legs seperated I definitely wouldn't give up if I where you. He also has good days and bad days. somedays he will fall over just walking across the yard other days he runs like the wind. Did the vet clear your baby for massage if he did then I doubt that that is causing problems Eros had an external fixator on one leg from Elbow to wrist and part of our routine when he first came home was to massage that leg all over for a few minutes at least twice a day. Was he very active befor the surgury? If he was the fact that he is still not doing as much as he was could acount for him seeming weaker. I have no training at all in veterinary medicine except for caring for 1 dog (Eros) these are just ideas the same as you would have thought of on your own. One thing you can do to strengthen the legs is kind of pull his foot out so the leg is extended then tickle or pinch the toes till he pulls them away. If he wont then you can provide the motion till he figures our what you want him to do. This is one excersize that helped alot when Eros was still not walking.
We wish you the best of luck!!
Eros & Tiffany
Arthur Korant

Post by Arthur Korant »

Don't get discouraged! My Tibetan Terrier Andy had spinal cord surgery in January and while he is up and walking in the house and on flat ground he needs help and support in the park or on an uneven surface. The most important thing is to keep up the massage and physical therapy and little by little you will se imporvement. Please check out the various supports they have at handicapped pets and call them. They were great with me. It turns out the towel was too hard on the internal organs and I got a back halet from them which has been great- he doesn't need it any longer on flat ground but we still use it in the park.
Best of luck
Arthur
Arthur Korant

Post by Arthur Korant »

Don't get discouraged! My Tibetan Terrier Andy had spinal cord surgery in January and while he is up and walking in the house and on flat ground he needs help and support in the park or on an uneven surface. The most important thing is to keep up the massage and physical therapy and little by little you will se imporvement. Please check out the various supports they have at handicapped pets and call them. They were great with me. It turns out the towel was too hard on the internal organs and I got a back halet from them which has been great- he doesn't need it any longer on flat ground but we still use it in the park.
Best of luck
Arthu
Sophie

Post by Sophie »

Hang on in there!! Often with paralyzed animals you do go through good and bad periods-provided the dog is healthy there is nothing to really worry about it (except maybe the diarehha if it continues). Some animals do go backward before they go forwards again-you just need to hang on in there and keep up your good work.
connie

Post by connie »

hello, my yorkie mix cricket had ruptured disk surgery in nov.. he also was paralized in hind legs. but don't give up please.i do P.T. every day twice, i do water therapy 3 times a week, and it is paying off for him. i made a video of him spinal walking. you can see it by going to

www.youtube.com

click on video's, then type in "cricket's walking video."
it was a long road to go down, but he is doing great. his vets are amazed. i still have to empty his bladder 3 times a day, but he has never gotten an infection since surgery. he runs, plays and does everything he did before, except jump.
if you would like more info on what i do for him daily, just ask. it sounds like your baby had same thing my cricket did. it ruptured for no reason. but with time, love and lots of P.T. they can live healthy lives.

hugs from connie and cricket
critters
Founding Member

Re: Help Needed: Recovery from paralyzed back legs *LINK*

Post by critters »

I've been thinking about this. Some variation, especially day-to-day, seems normal; my paralyzed boy's walking, and especially peeing, vary a good bit day-to-day and even over the course of the day. If, however, a general downward trend seems to be developing, I wonder about the possibility of another injury or an aggravation to the old one.

CarolC has listed lots of exercises periodically on the bb, stuff that was suggested by the PT for her girl, so you might want to try a search. I'm not sure if the PT Wiki page is done or not. Scissoring, the leg crossing, seems to be pretty common; Buddy doesn't do it often, although he frequently braces his hocks together, which seems to give him more stability.

Buddy wasn't operated on but was HBC on April 9 and got spinal cord injuries.

Oh, BTW, you might want to check out Dodger's list; many people have given it rave reviews. http://www.dodgerslist.com/

Have you tried hydrotherapy (swimming)?

As for how long to keep it up, well, the only real answer is until your baby doesn't need the therapy anymore.

http://www.dodgerslist.com/
critters
Founding Member

Thanks! *NoMsg*

Post by critters »