Help Needed: back leg paralysis

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Beth

Help Needed: back leg paralysis

Post by Beth »

My doxie, Gracie, lost use of her back legs today. She has no response or sensation in them. According to the vet, she has a 50/50 chance of recovery from surgery, which I cannot afford, anyway. I am considering caring for her with the paralysis-getting a wheelchair, the whole bit. But I have never done this before and need to know how consuming this will be. I am a single mom and have to work. Some days, I work 10 hours. And some periods of the year, our schedule is very busy. What does all this entail and is it feasible? I don't want her to end up with infections and bed sores. The thought of putting her down is unbearable at this point.
connie

Re: Help Needed: back leg paralysis

Post by connie »

beth, i feel for you. my yorkie mix lost his use of hind feet last nov. due to ruptured disk. he also was given slight chance, 40% to the good. but he had the surgery. it was costly, but i had a vet that is letting me pay it out monthly( never hurts to ask). anyway i am so glad i did. cricket is still paralized in hind feet, but he spinal walks , he runs and plays and is healthy. i have to empty his bladder but he has never gotten an infection yet! the vet told me not to get wheels for him becaue he spinal walks so good. but of course every case is different. what caused your fur baby to get paralyzed?
cricket had his surgery, i kept him in a crate for rest for 6 weeks to heal. and i really stress P.T. keep those muscles and joints working. i also do hyrotherapy with him in bathtub 3 times a week. if you want to see spinal walking, i have a video of cricket on the net. here is the web site
www.youtube.com
click on video's and in search, type in
"cricket's walking video"

they can do amazing things with the proper care and P.T.
there are so many here that i am sure will give you great advice, so many paralyzed pets here. i hope i have helped some.
please keep us updated about your baby.

hugs connie and cricket
connie

paralysis, one more thing beth

Post by connie »

yes it is time consuming, but very much worth it.
i myself work 10, 12, even 14 hour days, am single, no support system at all. i do home health for disabled elderly , take care of disabled elderly mother(stroke), and cricket. it is stressful, but every time i get these loving slurps from him, every time he runs across the house, tosses a ball to me, i get overjoyed!
he is my miracle and i am very blessed.
i do hope you will try anything and everything before putting her down. they can lives healthy, good lives. get a chance ,look at my video, i was told to put him down, family thinks i was nuts. but thank god the vets saw a chance , and i took it!! my prayers are with you beth and your fur baby!
Paul Coover

Downed Dachshund *LINK*

Post by Paul Coover »

Beth:

I know that everything is so overwhelming right now, but it WILL get better and easier. I have 5 dachshunds, 2 of which are cart dogs. I can assure you that a long and happy life is possible , even in a wheel chair.

Right now crate rest is a MUST. Even without surgery your dog still has a good chance of recovery. One of the most important things right now is to keep a good, positive attitude. Your dog will feed off of your mood, and a good attitude will aid in the healing process.

Please click the link below and read about our dachshund Riley. We adopted him as a handicapped dachshund, but he is now recovered. Let his story give you hope. Good luck!

Riley's Story
Paul Coover

Our Johanna's Story *LINK*

Post by Paul Coover »

Johanna is one of our cart dogs. Her story has been well-covered by this website. She has been an inspiration to us all, and I hope that she can be the same for you!

Johanna's Page
Jane Scott

Re: Downed Dachshund

Post by Jane Scott »

Hello Beth; When I read your post I thought wow, that was how I felt when Harley (standard daschund)went down. The first few weeks are certainly hard; but I can now say after 6 weeks that we all have a handle on things, new routines are being established and we accept whatever the day presents. Harley had no surgery, blew a disc, but now has partial control over back legs, he started peeing on his own yesterday. So there is some hope out there, just keep believing that you will deal with what ever comes. Best of luck. Jane
Beth

Re: Downed Dachshund

Post by Beth »

Update on Gracie-she has re-gained a lot of control of her hind legs-she sort of wobble walks and is a little weak. She has regained continence, as well. And her demeanor is much more positive. We're pensively thrilled-vet says she will be more likely to rupture another disc, but we'll deal with that when and if it comes.
Dianne

Signs of Recovery- Continue the crate rest

Post by Dianne »

Hi Beth,

Congratulations that Gracie is showing improvement! That is wonderful news.

I would err on the side of caution and continue crate resting even though you have seen improvement in only 2 weeks. The standard for IVDD crate rest is about 6 to 8 weeks. You are VERY fortunate that she has begun recovery so soon, but I would **continue to rest her**. Doxies can get fussy and beg to get out of crate rest, but you are doing it for her own good.

I have a paralyzed doxie that is incontinent(did not have the surgery), as does Paul (he has 2 paralyzed, and 3 more + 2 in adoption process=7 ). Cindi has 2 doxies that are in different stages of recovery. I think they may also agree that crate resting should continue. (?)

IVDD is a tricky illness. It can return quickly. You'll need to reduce her weight to normal for her size, forbid her from jumping off furniture, beds, steps, and monitor her for signs that it is returning.

You really don't want to get to total paralysis, if you can avoid it. The work load increases dramatically with an incontinent pup. It can be done, but why do it if you can avoid it?

Once again, congratulations on the beginnings of recovery.

Dianne