Dogs: Robby- Progress

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Deepika

Dogs: Robby- Progress

Post by Deepika »

Hi,

Robby has adjusted to the cart well and is even running to chase the cat. But still he finds it difficult to turn around but I guess we will work it out. I took him to another vet on Saturday and that vet told that his paralysis is due to conjentical atrophy and that he cannot be cured. He had also developed a small wound on his left hind leg and we are putting Betadine and bandaging it. But now Rob has started kicking his back legs. Even when I carry him he is is moving them. So thanks everyone for helping him.
Cody's Mom

Re: Dogs: Robby- Progress

Post by Cody's Mom »

Hey Deepika,

Great to hear from you!!! You are so good about keeping us updated. Wow, Robby's chasing the cat - that's great!!! It does sound like he is adjusting well. I bet he will get better at turning corners the more strength he builds up. He has only had his cart a few weeks right?

Sorry to hear they think the paralysis will not improve, but bless your heart for continuing to try to find out his exact problem. Robby is SO lucky to have you.

Take care and keep us updated. Can't wait to see the next pic!!! :)

Much love to you, Robby, and the rest of your family,

Cody's FOREVER proud Mom
Rita

Post by Rita »

If he's kicking with his legs, how can the vet consider him paralyzed and unable to improve?
Rita

Post by Rita »

I can't find anything on the internet about "congenital atrophy."

????

I wonder if Mark has ever heard of it.
connie

Post by connie »

congrats to robbie, but watch the wheelies! lol
so glad he is improving.

hugs to you both

connie and cricket
Robyn

Post by Robyn »

Paralysis doesn't mean a total inability to move. Robby is probably having involuntary reflexive action that causes him to kick. Usually it's just the muscles contracting and relaxing on their own.
Congenital refers to something already present when you are born, and atrophy refers to wasting due to disuse or inactivity. Essentially Robby was most likely born paralyzed (for whatever reason) and in the photos he already looks like his hind end is smaller in proportion to the rest of him, so the wasting part has already begun. It's nothing new, really. Take a look at wheelchair athletes sometime; you'll see that their legs are tiny and shriveled while the rest of their bodies are very fit and muscular. That's how Robby will be.
I hope he stays that way, too, because he is just the cutest dog I've ever seen. A girl could fall in love with those bright, lovely eyes in an instant.
Deepika

Post by Deepika »

Thanks Cody's Mom. Yes he has had the cart for only a short time but is adjusting well. I'll post a picture soon.
Deepika

Post by Deepika »

Thanks Rita and Robyn. Yes his back legs have not grown properly. His hips and legs are thin when compared to other parts of the body. Is there anything I should do to stop the wasting of the muscles. He stands in his cart for about 1-2 hours per day and I also massage his legs. And is there anything I can give to strengthen his legs. Please advice me.
Deepika

Post by Deepika »

Thanks Connie.
Robyn

Post by Robyn »

The massages are good, and if you can do physical therapy for his hind legs, that will help as well. What you're aiming for is to keep the muscles from shortening, or becoming permanently contracted, and also the massages help keep the circulation going so that the bones don't become brittle. Keeping him strong and fit in the rest of his body will take care of the rest.
Something to consider too is having splints made for his back legs that he can wear while sleeping or in his cart. Is there somewhere available where he can swim? I think that would be great exercise for him as it's non-weight bearing.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Have you considered hydrotherapy (using water)? You could get him to walk, then gradually decrease the level of the water so that, eventually, he'd be bearing his own weight. We have LOTS of links on how-tos for this, if you're interested.
Cody's Mom

To Deepika

Post by Cody's Mom »

Hi Deepika,

In the future, can you please keep in touch with me and send Robby's pictures to my e-mail?

kfw73@yahoo.com

Stay in touch.

Love, Cody's FOREVER proud Mom
Rita

Post by Rita »

Deepika,

Does Robby's cart have stirrups? If his feet are in stirrups, his legs will swing as he moves and that will help too.