Help Needed: Spinal Subluxations

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Lucy

Help Needed: Spinal Subluxations

Post by Lucy »

I am researching my chiropractic dissertation in to the effect it has on dogs being excersised in choke collars and in harnesses and the subsiquent spinal subluxations linked with each....
Is there anyone who has a dog with a back problem who now uses a harness, or has always used choke leads and has no problems? Any thing linked really, as there is so little information and research done in this area.
I am looking to show wether harnesses are better for a dogs spinal health, or if a choke is, and as we all use harnesses so much it should be interesting.
Many thanks for your time....
Lucy.
Tinker's Mom

Re: Help Needed: Spinal Subluxations

Post by Tinker's Mom »

Hi Lucy,

Your thesis research should prove very interesting!

I have 2 dogs, both of whom I walk using a harness. One is 16 months post-surgery for a ruptured disk at the thoracolumbar juncture. He was completely down, and now he is walking, running, and is substantially recovered.

The other has some fusion in the lower part of her spine and I bring her for both acupuncture and chiropractic care.

Let me know if I can provide more information to help you. (Just a suggestion: You might want to provide your email address if you need to get into a lengthy list of questions.) I'm also curious as to how you will account for variables in age, size, and breed predisposition toward spinal injury...
Lucy

Re: Help Needed: Spinal Subluxations

Post by Lucy »

HI Tinker's Mom!
Thanks for your response, and sorry for my tardy one, just moved house and no mail connection.
My address is; lucy@rhinoark.org and I would be facinated to hear more about your 2 dogs and how you feel about harneses and the difference they make.
I am going to set conditions on breeds/age/ predisposition to injury etc, kind of depending on the animals I can find and use. But it will be taken in to consideration. AS I mentioned, there hasn't been any research done on this before (I cant think why) and so am slightly feeling my way in the dark at the moment, as soon as I think of a good way of controling the data, there is anotherfactor to consider!
Thanks for your response, and as I said, I'd love to hear more about your dogs and how the harnesses help them.
Lucy.
Dianne

Choke Collars vs Prong Collar damage *LINK*

Post by Dianne »

Good Morning Lucy,

There was a study done in Germany as referenced by this site below that compared choke collar larnyx and spinal damage vs prong collar damage.

"A Study on Prong Collars was done in Germany:

100 dogs were in the study. 50 used choke and 50 used prong.

The dogs were studied for their entire lives. As dogs died, autopsies were performed.

Of the 50 which had chokes, 48 had injuries to the neck, trachea, or back. 2 of those were determined to be genetic. The other 46 were caused by trauma.

Of the 50 which had prongs, 2 had injuries in the neck area, 1 was determined to be genetic. 1 was caused by trauma. "

(reference: Information about above study taken from an Anne Marie Silverton Seminar)

I don't know if you were aware of choke vs. prong collar studies.

I switched my dogs to harnesses (one is now paralyzed from IVDD) when the choke collars seemed useless. The paralysis did not appear to be related to choke collar use in the past, but was most probably the result of jumping.

Let us know the results of your findings.

Dianne

http://www.cobankopegi.com/prong.html
FYI

Collars, doggy doors

Post by FYI »