Help Needed: Excruciating pain followed by stroke type symto

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Jenny Schubert

Help Needed: Excruciating pain followed by stroke type symto

Post by Jenny Schubert »

Hi, my name is Jenny and my dogs name is "CUJO" he is a 7lb Yorkie and is approximately 13 years old. Recently he has begun displaying some very odd and scary behavior. One day we woke to find him standing and not moving as if he was having a stroke, when we attempted to pick him up he began crying and whaling in excruciating pain. We took him to the vet who took x-rays, blood and performed a urine analysis. The good news is these all came back negative, but the problem still exists he is still having these episodes; we have also taken him to see a neurologist who took more x-rays of his neck this time. She put him on prednisone for a week which seems to help some, but he is still having these episodes of crippling, accelerated breathing, excruciating pain and stroke like symptoms. Some days you’d think he was a puppy again no problem at all, he does have regular bowel movement so this is not an issue. It kills me to see him suffering, but putting him to sleep is NOT an option. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank Jen
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Re: Help Needed: Excruciating pain followed by stroke type s

Post by Bendy Kitty »

first thing that jumps to mind is pressure on a nerve. The prednisone would reduce swelling, which woudl reduce pressure.
It could be from an injury or misalignment, sometimes we don't know what causes it.
I'd keep up the pred, ask about other anti-inflammatories (like metacam or asprin), limit activities by keeping him in a crate. Can you find a chiropractor? They have been very helpful to many an injured fur.

things like this can take a LONG time to heal, we're talking at the least weeks, probably months. glad that all systems work, that is great news. Glad you found us! You'll find many other people here with disabled animals and lots of ideas to help you and your furbaby.

Me, I"m just a little smart bendy kitty with thumbs so I can type. We have had some kitties with neuro problems tho none exactly as your describe.

welcome!

headbonks and purrrs

bendy
Christine

Re: Help Needed: Excruciating pain followed by stroke type s

Post by Christine »

Dear Bendy,

You are such a talented, intelligent typing kitty and your wonderful posts are just like fuzzy hugs.

Love,

Christine and Bailey
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

smoochies to ya

Post by Bendy Kitty »

i am always glad to provide comfort to furs and their caretakers.
here is some bendiness to help you through the day.

I do hope my suggestions were helpful, too.

oh so cute...
30135__0D1CAC0339B6DDC.jpg
mom says this is my natural pose:
30135__AC62C575CDACA7A.jpg
headbonks and purrrrs

bendy