Amputation: Rudy

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
lucy

Amputation: Rudy

Post by lucy »

My beloved cat Rudy (3) was attacked by a dog 5 weeks ago this resulted in him dislocating his back hock and sustaining a bad wound. After 5 weeks in a dressing the vet has now advised me that the wound has become so infected that Rudy need his leg amputating. This seems so drastic and I would greatly appreciate any advice or tales of similar.
Rita

Re: Amputation: Rudy

Post by Rita »

How confident are you in this vet? What's been your experience with him/her up to this point?
lucy26

Post by lucy26 »

Hi Rita thanks for your message
Previously I had though they were a fantastic vets and had taken my other cat's there with no issues. However now I feel that I have been let down by them as Rudy was only there 7 days ago surely they could have seen that his leg was becoming infected then and started him on acourse on antibiotics at that point.I have also not had the chance to really discuss Rudy with a vet as they rang me up at work to tell me he needed his leg amputated and since then I have not seen a vet, i am just expected to take him in first thing on Monday and leave him there for the opperation. I have been thinking about getting a second oppion but am concerned that this may mean another opperation for Rudy so they can take off the dressing and look at the wound, and that this would be more distressing for him. What do you think Rita your views are greatly appreciated.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

> I have been thinking about getting a second oppion but am concerned that this may mean another opperation for Rudy so they can take off the dressing and look at the wound, and that this would be more distressing for him.

I would go ahead and get a second opinion if you can afford it, even if it means additional stress. More stress is a small price to pay for possibly saving the leg. If the other vet says s/he can't save it, at least you won't go the rest of your life wondering if you did the wrong thing. Good luck!
lucy

Post by lucy »

Thanks for the message have been to a new vet today who is going to have a proper look on Monday and then give me her opinion so at least this way I will know I have done everything I could for him.
Rita

Post by Rita »

Wise move! Like Carol C. said, at least even if the 2nd vet agrees to amputate, you won't have any regrets about not seeking another opinion.
That's great that you have an appt. right away. Don't forget to come back on the board and tell us what he/she says on Mon.
BethT

Post by BethT »

Dear Lucy,

I am so sorry about your cat Rudy's attack and possible amputation. I understand your anxiety as my cat Speck will be having her leg amputated this Thursday because of cancer. Hopefully a second opinion will bring you a different outcome. Incase it does not lots of people tell me that 3 legged cats do great. My vet said to me today that if all goes according to how he believes it will I will be pleasantly surprised at how well Speck will adapt to 3 legs. Know that there are people here to lend support. Good luck and keep us posted. BethT
lucy

Post by lucy »

Hi
I took Rudy for a second opinion yesterday and the new vet was great, she took off the dressing and examined Rudy'd leg and it was terrible to look at all black and scaby and you could see the bone. But the vet said the blood flow looks good and that Rudy is putting weight on it which is a good sign, she is hopefull that with antibiotics and changing his dressing every other day we may be able to svae the leg.
Thanks for everyone support, I will keep you updated.
Rita

Post by Rita »

Lucy,

That's great that the 2nd vet is going to give the leg a chance. Now at least you'll know you did all you could to save it. Did the vet indicate when he wants to see him again?

Good luck, Rita