Dogs: Paisley - Updated Condition

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Karen Hudgin

Dogs: Paisley - Updated Condition

Post by Karen Hudgin »

We traveled again 100 km to the vet hospital last night. This time the surgeon spoke with us and felt that the news was not positive. We brought up the idea of the wheelchair for Paisley, and he stated that they did not work well for larger breed dogs like Paisley (Border Collie). They really didn't give us many options, however they ran another MRI today and we are awaiting the results from the radiologist tomorrow. On our drive back we decided that as soon as they will allow us we are going to bring her home and cope the best way we can. We are going to take it day by day. The last option is to put her down but we always have that option, once she is gone she is gone. So now we are asking any of you if you have had any experience larger breed dogs and wheelchairs, and if anyone has had the experience with loss of bladder and bowel control?

You all have been so wonderful ~ I appreciate your kind words I actually am hanging on to each and everyone of them. You are my source of strength when all seemed to have gone. Without a website like this and people like you where would this world be! Thanks again, from Paisley
too soon to go....
Carol T.

Re: Dogs: Paisley - Updated Condition *PIC*

Post by Carol T. »

I don't usually post here any longer, but I can't let this one go. Your vet's opinion of carts is very wrong! I hope my Bogie's picture appears. He's a 65 pound English Setter with an Eddie's Wheels cart. He's only had it a few months, and can't walk on his own without it. I've just begun taking him off the leash most of the time when we walk, and several times now I've had to run after him! I can see that he loves the freedom of going where HE chooses. I have to stay close by, though, because he occasionally will get stuck on something or tries to run over a large rock, which will tip him over. There are people on here with dogs tipping the scale at 100+ pounds who have successfully used carts. I can't recommend them enough!!!

Cindidoxiemom

Re: Dogs: Paisley - Updated Condition

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

First of all...balongna that bigger dogs don't do well in carts. Please visit Eddies wheels and look at all the dogs there who are BIG and doing fabulous in carts!http://www.eddieswheels.com/index.html
Second, I express my paralyzed pup, Oscar's, bladder three times a day. At first it is a bit daunting, but you will get the hang of it. INSIST that they help you learn at the vet's tomorrow!
Caring for a paralyzed pupper will become part of your routine, and in no time you will have the hang of it. Stay positive..know your NOT alone and let us know how we can help.

How to express a dog:
http://www.handicappedpets.com/Articles/express/
Hugs,
Mystic
Friend2Dogs

Post by Friend2Dogs »

Mason loved his cart and used it the day he passed away. He was a Basset and had authritis bad in his hips and front legs and IVDD,and cancer and he could walk in his Eddies wheels. I had to express his urine and he could only do a bowel movement laying down. He wore a belly wrap with clothe diapers rolled up in it and a diapsable diaper for if he had an accident. I will never regret buying Mason his wheels. He was old so could not go far and with his weak front legs, but he loved walking in back yard.
BethT

Post by BethT »

Dear Karen,

I have a pitbull/doberman mix, 55 pounds, named Waffles. He had a ruptured disk two years ago. His back legs are paralysed, he has no bladder control (I express him a few times a day) and I help him move his bowels by rubbing him with tissues to help stimulate his bowels and then just catch it in the tissues. I do that 3 times a day this way there are normally no messes. Let me tell you, this paralyzed dog with no bladder or bowel control is the HAPPIEST dog that you will ever meet. Like Carol T. said, I sometimes have to RUN to catch him in his cart he is so fast in it.

First things first though, I know there is a condition called ascending/decsending myelomalasia. It happens to a very small percent of animals that have these disk surgeries. It is when the spinal cord starts to die both up and down from the injury and they say it can not be stopped and evenually the animal can not breath. I was told by the doctor that there is a window of time after the surgery that this condition can occur. First they told me 1 week then they told me the window was 2 weeks. The reason I know all this is because only 16 hours after Waffles disk surgery they told me that they believed (when I say "they" I am talking about doctors at what is considered the top veterinary hospital in the U.S.) Waffles was going to die of it. Obviously he did not have myelomalasis and I hope the same for Paisley. Waffles also had something called Schiff-Sherrington Syndrome just in case they throw that at you.

There are lots of us here that have larger dogs in carts. Do not let the vets get you down. They just don't know. We can help you. It is so overwhelming at first but it truly just becomes a part of your everyday life. You can handle this. Keep us posted and I will be thinking of Paisley. BethT
Michele

Post by Michele »

I have a Chihuahua who has been paralized in her rear since May 21. I have to express her bladder and she has lost control of her bowels as well. I have ordered her a wheel chair, and should get it this week...I am hoping she likes it! I wanted to say to you that if there is one thing I have learned from reading the messages on this board it is to not give up hope. After reading about Susan and Carol's dogs walking again, and receiving messages from them, my hope has be renewed.... My Neurolgist is wonderful, but he will not give me any hope...I can see how he does not want to build me up when chances are small, but hope in this situation is what keeps you going. I wanted to say that I never thought I would be able to express her bladder...but I can and I do. Having a vet close to your home that can help you learn to express the bladder if you need it will help. I had to make two trips to my nearby vet, plus the two lessons from my Neurologist before I got it. I will say also that my dog was a little depressed when she came home at first and I have noticed from time time she may be a little sad her and there....BUT most of the time she is happy and she is her same sweet, loving, devoted self. She still loves us the same as she did before...the only difference is we only thought she was spoiled before....now she is REALLY spoiled! I will pray for you Paisley and your family...it is very hard. I am so glad to have found this message board.
Carol T.

P.S.

Post by Carol T. »

Bogie doesn't look very happy in the picture, but it was his first time in the cart, and I think I had put his hind feet in the stirrups. He doesn't use his hind legs much with the Bottoms Up leash, but for some reason, he sure can use them when in the cart! He prefers to have his feet down. Although I can't say he took to the cart immediately, I can say he didn't require much coaxing. He seemed to tolerate it at first, but now that he's discovered he has some independence with it, I can tell he really likes it. At his weight, the Bottoms Up leash only enabled us to go out so he could potty. Now we can actually go for long walks (we started gradually) and check out all the great, funky smells!!