Help Needed: My kitty has persistant diarrhea

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Judy

Help Needed: My kitty has persistant diarrhea

Post by Judy »

I'm adopting a kitty that has persistant and chronic diarrhea due to an untreatable Tritrichomonas foetus infection. I live in South Africa and we don't get pet diapers here.

Can I use newborn nappies to help with this, if I cut a hole in each one for his tail? I can order them online but he's very teeny so I doubt whether even the XS size woudl fit him.
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

some interesting info I found

Post by Bendy Kitty »

and the links I found it on.
sounds like it will be very messy for 9months- 2 years, but eventually clear up on its own, if I'm reading this right.

LINK #1
http://www.fabcats.org/tritrichomonas.html
"Infection in cats
There have been a number of recent studies, mostly form the USA , that have demonstrated that this parasite may be an important cause of diarrhoea in cats. In cats, T foetus infects and colonises the large intestine, and can cause prolonged and intractable diarrhoea.

Studies have shown that this parasite mainly causes colitis (large bowel diarrhoea) with increased frequency of defecation, semi-formed to liquid faeces, and sometimes fresh blood or mucus in the faeces. With severe diarrhoea the anus may become inflamed and painful, and in some cases the cats may develop faecal incontinence. Although cats of all ages can be affected with diarrhoea, it is most commonly seen in young cats and kittens, the majority being under 12 months of age. Most of the affected cats have come from rescue shelters and pedigree breeding colonies. Abdominal ultrasound examination may show corrugation of the large bowel and local lymphadenopathy. Colonic biopsies from affected cats typically show mild to severe inflammatory changes with predominantly infiltration of lymphocytes and plasma cells – a pattern commonly seen with other infectious agents and with inflammatory bowel disease. However, the parasites may be seen in close association with the mucosa. Although the diarrhoea may be persistent and severe, most affected cats are otherwise well, and do not show significant weight loss.

Infection is most commonly seen in colonies of cats and multicat households, where presumably the organism is spread between cats by close and direct contact. There has been no evidence of spread from other species, or spread via food or water. In one study, 31% of cats at a cat show were identified as being infected with this organism, suggesting that this may be an important, common, and previously unrecognised cause of diarrhoea in cats.

Although most information on T foetus infection has come from studies of cats in the USA, we have now identified several cases of infection in cats in England (mostly in young pedigree cats, and all from multicat households generally with more than one cat being affected), and it has also been identified in several cats in Scotland (and also in cats from Germany). The evidence therefore suggests that infection is probably quite widespread in cat populations, and infection is most likely where there is a high density of cats sharing the same environment.

Prognosis
Current information suggests the long-term prognosis for infected cats is good, and that they will eventually overcome the infection. However, this is a slow process – in one study of infected cats, resolution of the diarrhoea took an average of 9 months, with occasional cats having diarrhoea persisting for more than two years, while in others it resolved after two months. It appears that most infected cats continue to shed low levels of the organism in their faeces for many months after the resolution of the diarrhoea. "

NEXT LINK:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract
"Fecal samples were obtained from each cat; the presence of T. foetus was assessed via microscopic examination of smears, culture in commercial media, and polymerase chain reaction amplification of T. foetus rDNA involving species-specific primers. RESULTS: Survey responses were obtained from owners of all 26 cats. Twenty-three cats had complete resolution of diarrhea a median of 9 months after onset. Analysis of fecal samples obtained from 22 cats revealed persistent T. foetus infection in 12, with a median of 39 months after resolution of diarrhea. History of implementation of a dietary change, treatment with paromomycin, or higher numbers of cats in the household was associated with significantly longer duration of time to resolution of diarrhea. CONCLUSIONS AND CLINICAL RELEVANCE: Results suggested chronic T. foetus-associated diarrhea in most cats is likely to resolve spontaneously within 2 years of onset. Chronic infection with T. foetus (without clinical signs) after resolution of diarrhea appears to be common. Although often temporarily effective in decreasing severity of diarrhea, attempts to treat cats with T. foetus infection may result in prolongation of time to resolution of diarrhea."

you an try adding pumpkin pulp (or another squash pulp) to his diet, it did wonders for me & my sibs when we had non-specific diarrhea.

thanks for taking care of this little guy!

headbonks and purrs

bendy
Linda Mili

Re: Help Needed: My kitty has persistant diarrhea

Post by Linda Mili »

I am most likely too late with responding but I use baby disposable diapers all the time!! As you say, just cut a hole for your darling's tail and if it is a girl, but the diaper on backwars meaning the normal back of the diaper becomes the front for your kitty. If you have a problem with her leaving the diaper on, purchase an infant's "onzie"..For my mini-dachie who weighs about 8-10lbs. I get a size 6-9mths. and I sew the arm flaps at the shoulders a bit closer in so my darling cannot easily wiggle it off...They look adorable in them and the diaper stays on!!

Also, I learned with my greyhound who suffered from hookworm very badly upon coming home from the race track, that 100% pumpkin helps in releaving the diarrhea...Iamms dog food company also makes a prescription food called Low Residue that helps with persistant diarrhea...You might check to see if they make it also for cats. Both have helped Ridgley's intestinal track...The worms are finally gone but the damage done to his inners I guess will take a lot of time to heal...With using the pumpkin and perscription kibble, and the worms gone, the diarrhea has stopped...May work for your darling also even though her health reasons are different...Worth checking with your vet...

Smiles for your new friends in Baltimore MD USA
Linda and "chilren short and tall"