Dogs: TAMA HAS PASSED, MY GOD!!!!

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Stephanie

Dogs: TAMA HAS PASSED, MY GOD!!!!

Post by Stephanie »

My god, I don’t know where to start. Tama has passed. I am so sick about it, because it COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED!!!! Tama went out in his pen everyday. He loved being outside. We could not keep Tama and Missy together during the day, they got too rambunctious and things got used for tug of war…His pen was one of your typical 8 x 10 chain link pens. We had cut a hole in the back to attach his coop, which was a very nice coop, complete with a deck, then we pulled the chain link over the sides of the pen and attached them. We thought it was secure, it had been for how long…We did that to his pen only to give him more room. There was a horrible accident yesterday on the corner by our house and there were ambulances, firetrucks and police and all kinds of commotion. ####. There must have been so much going on that Tama actually pushed the side of the chain link by the side of his coop and got his choker chain caught. #### IT!! He strangled. He suffered. Corey, my husband, is sooo completely devastated. He had to actually cut the collar with bolt cutter. We loved that dog. He has been through so much. The spinal stroke did not hold him down. We did everything for him, he was babied and loved. This is just horrible. I can’t remember feeling this horrible over a human dying, but I’ve never lost anyone that I love like I did Tama. My daughter was not home, thank goodness. My ten year old son saw it though and he is a mess. My husband feels horrible because he had to go get a car and drove by the house and thought about putting Tama in the house in case it got too hot out, but did not have his keys anyway. About five minutes past the house, the first firetruck was on it’s way to the scene. I know that the accident and all of the commotion is what fired Tama up enough to bust out of his pen. My god, I’m sick though, I am so sick. SO INCREDIBLY SICK!! If only the choker collar was not on him, if only the kids were home and could have brought him in because of his barking, if only. So many “if onlys”. I guess I should be glad the kids were not home, what would they have done. They are kids and don’t need that memory. I just want to get the visuals out of my head. I picture him alone and panicking. My god…I hate this. I HATE THIS!!!! I HATE THIS SOOOO MUCH!!!! No animal deserves to die like Tama did. No animal. Tama deserved to die of old age, when we could accept it and deal with it over time and expect it. This sucks. We did not expect this and we have to accept it because we have no dang choice. How many times do you hear about choker collars being harmful?? We have, but never had to worry about it, he was always getting out of his. Why not this time??? We also have to think about what would have happened had he gotten out and bitten someone at the accident…

You are all my friends and I know your hearts will break. I just want you all to know that we LOVED this boy. We loved him. I am also grateful that my husband is not the “tough guy” type that just shuts everyone out and ignores the remaining animals. He and I talked so much last night and we cuddled with Missy on the bed. She layed right between us and he pet Missy and told her that he was sorry that she lost her best friend. We did too. I know the pain will get better in time, but holy cow, the time being sucks. I have cried and cried. I love that boy, my husband called him Growly Bear and my husband said he will never say those two words again. I can’t freaking believe this.

Stephanie and Missy
Loving Tama forever
critters
Founding Member

Re: Dogs: TAMA HAS PASSED, MY GOD!!!!

Post by critters »

I'm so very sorry for your loss. :*(
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Stephanie,
My heart is breaking for you, Tama, Missy and your family. When my aunt was out of town, her dog Queenie choked to death when the tags on her collar got caught in between her deck slats. I thought this was rare, but am learning differently. I know how bad you are hurting right now, but your story will save the lives of other puppers. My thoughts and prayers are with you hon,
Cindi
Stephanie

Post by Stephanie »

We are just hurting right now. I joined the forum so many months ago and have shared so many stories of Tama, I have tried to help console other people who have lost their pets. I just did not expect to be the one who needed consoling. Tama was only two. He had a spinal stroke at one and walked again. He was handicapped, but we loved him and dealt with everything, even down to the frequent accidents in the house. We never yelled at him. OH MY GOD...this just hurts sooooo bad. He did not deserve this and thank you for your kind words, they mean so much. My husband said there is just such a void. I just want to forget what he looked like when we found him. We knew right away. Then of course, you wonder if anyone saw it happening and turned their heads...If that is the case, I don't ever want to know and I want to think that it happened quickly. Animals panic and I hope the panic was very short lived. I hate to think how many hours went by. We did not get home until 5:30, the accident in the front of our house happened around 10:30 am. I know the grief will begin to cease, but I wish it would happen now.

Stephanie And Missy
Dang, I wish I could add Tama. My heart is just breaking. These animals just attach themselves like leeches right to the heart.
Friend2Dogs

Post by Friend2Dogs »

I am so sorry for your loss, I lost my baby Mason July 6th. Everyone says the pains gets better I am still waiting as pain is still so raw. I know how you feel, as I blame myself ,Mason could not breathe and I could not lift him as he could no longer walk with his front feet by then. I feel like if I had gotten help sooner ,he would not have suffered. I am so sorry and will say to you what everyone says to me ,you are not to blame( even though in your heart you blame yourself) you are not to blame, it will get better, I will grieve for you and your baby along with my baby. I am so sorry for your loss.
Carol T.

Post by Carol T. »

Oh God, Stephanie, I don't know what to say. I'm crying as I write this. I know you loved Tama so much, and I know this is gut-wrenching for you. Just know that Tama is in heaven now and that he knows and understands it wasn't your fault. You provided a good life and lots of love for him. I didn't even know Tama, except from your posts, and it hurts me, so the pain must be incredible for you and your family. I will keep you in my prayers. Consider yourself hugged. Carol
Stephanie

Post by Stephanie »

Thank you, thank you. It IS such a raw feeling. It is absolutely horrible. My goodness, it hurts.
Stephanie

Post by Stephanie »

I know you are crying, thank you. I have met so many people here and I have corresponded with you a few times here and there and it just hurts. It's so bad becaue it could have been prevented. Our lovely boy suffered and should not have. The irony...when we were adopting Missy, the home inspector had to come to make sure the environment was safe and secure...

Thanks for the hug, I need as many as I can get today.
Friend2Dogs

Post by Friend2Dogs »

It hurts and the pain will dim ,I know ,because I lost my forever dog , my little teacup poodle Okie several years ago . The pain dims and then you have sweet memories. I am waiting for my pain to leave so I can have sweet memories of my Mason. I read online a beautiful tibute to a man's dog Chloe. I wrote the man and he wrote me back , his words for some reason comforted me. I am enclosing them on bottom of this note ,hoping the words give you comfort. I found out later he is a famous author and took the time to write me back ,that made his words double sweet. Friend2Dogs Friend2Dogs--

It is certainly very sad that our four-legged friends have such short lives,

It will hurt for a while. There's no way around it.

But it sounds like Mason had a good long, happy dog-life, and that he was well-loved, and that is what finally matters.

Thanks for your note.

Jim
"It's All Good"
Rita

Post by Rita »

Stephanie,

Please accept my sincere sympathy. I lost a beautiful dogfriend to bloat at the age of 6 some years ago, and the worst pain was knowing it was preventable (I didn't get to the vet soon enough) and knowing she suffered. These factors complicate the loss and make it much more heartbreaking to deal with. So I've been in your shoes and it's a nightmare. I feel so sorry for you and your family.

Rita
Stephanie

Post by Stephanie »

Friend2Dogs, that was wonderful, thank you. Truly.
Stephanie

Post by Stephanie »

Rita,

It is a nightmare and I wish you could not relate, however, I am glad that so many do, out of pure selfish reasons. It is just almost unbearable. My husband is just beside himself. He loves all of our animals, but Tama was truly his best friend. My husband is the type that needs and loves having a "loyal companion", so he is just broken right now. Isn't it amazing how your heart can feel so horrible and know that is will get better in time. Especially with all of you, my handicapped pet friend, you all are just wonderful and I love you all.

Stephanie Missy, always loving Tama
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

I am so very sorry!

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Your shock and horror are palpable. I can feel them. I am so very sorry for your agony, and Tama's passing. I do believe though (having been told this was the case for my son) that they leave their bodies just before the moment of death, so they don't have that trauma of dying to deal with, but you certainly do.
There will never be another Tama ~ Growly Bear, but let his legacy be love and life...
I am so very very sorry for your loss.
I do know how much it hurts....
Stephanie

Re: I am so very sorry!

Post by Stephanie »

Karen,

I thought of you last night, I truly did. Agony and horror says it all and I think of what you went through with your son...well, it is just horrible. I don't ever want to go through this again. My husband is going to need another dog. I know him. He is just hurting sooo bad right now. We all are. Thank you, Karen, for your kind words.

Thanks
Stephanie and Missy
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Dear Stephanie,

There is no way you could have known, and we can't predict everything they may do though we try. I believe animals have angels, too, to be with them when they are in trouble. He was not all alone, even though you were away.

I'm sorry for your loss.