Dogs: Updated Paisley Condition

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Karen Hudgin

Dogs: Updated Paisley Condition

Post by Karen Hudgin »

Hi to everyone who has written to help me. I am at the end of my rope sorry to say. It breaks my heart to watch her try to walk and the lack of control she has with her bowels and her bladder. It has been the most wonderful 24 hours of my life and the worst. Great to have her with me, but the pity I have for her is heart wrenching. Are you all sure that this is the right thing? First of all she has all her witts, she is very smart so just have to show and talk to her to see she is so alert! She knows all. But this disability is difficult to help her up we have been making the mistake of holding her belly of course that makes the pee drain. Just a matter of us learning, not her. The good news is that my husband pinched her tail, and it seems that it moves a bit. Is that a good sign or are we just looking for any reaction. This is more difficult then I thought, (emotionally) I mean. But let me tell you the love that she returns is wonderful. I have to tell you that I have no family left I have lost all of my living relatives. It's just my husband and myself so I am relying on all of you for advise. Thanks again....

Emotionally DRAINED!
Ginny Potterveld

Re: Dogs: Updated Paisley Condition

Post by Ginny Potterveld »

Am praying for you and Paisley. Sometimes it hurts the owner more than the dog. Emotionally it is terrible to see your pet so different than before. I am sure Paisley is happier home with you. Praying for you to have strength to go on.
Ginny
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Karen~
It is never easy to see our furry friends going though a tough time. I think of you guys every day, and am keeping Paisley in my prayers.
1. Have you learned how to properly express Paisley? If you aren't, the leaking will be more pronounced, and you run the risk of Paisley getting a bladder or kidney infection. Learning to properly express her is a must.
2. Is Paisley in pain? If so, there are good pain medications that can help.
3. Is Paisley on steroids? Post surgical swelling and disc swelling usually responds well to steroids.
4. Do you have a good crate to keep her in? I got Oscars at Petco..It was large enough for him to turn around, but small enough to keep him from walking. I chose a wire one so he could see out. Since Paisley is a bigger dog, you might ask your husband to make a a dolly of sorts so you can move the crate around.
5. Oscar regained deep pain sensation after 8 months hon...I really think you should give Paisley some more time to heal. I know this is hard on you...I really do, I have a paralyzed pupper, so I empathize completely.
6. Try a kong toy with peanutbutter in it. Sometimes they need something to stimulate them while they are on crate rest.
7. Remember there are carts that can give pups their mobility back,

Stay strong. Give Paisley lots of love and attention. Try to keep her quiet. Is she eating and drinking well?

We are here...post any time.
Hugs,
Cindi
BethT

Re: Dogs: Updated Paisley Condition *PIC*

Post by BethT »

Karen,

Today my cat had her leg amputated so I am ready to go to bed. I will write to you in more detail. I just want to say one thing tonight. It does get easier. Waffles was close to dead when I brought him home. Could not move at all, could not urinate, move his bowels on his own. He is so happy now. He uses a cart, he still can not urinate. As long as Paisley is not in pain (Waffles was in some pain for the first couple of weeks). You can learn to cope with this. One thing that I was told after surgery is that other then getting him up to express his bladder that I needed to keep Waffles total still for 6 weeks after his disk surgery. Don't let Paisley drag herself around. In a couple of months she can start using a cart. Waffles never regained the ability to walk or urinate but lots of people's dog have. Attached is Waffles just a few months after his surgery playing with some friends in his cart. DO NOT GIVE UP! BethT

Friend2Dogs

Post by Friend2Dogs »

I was not going to post any more but I had to with you. I had Mason for almost 15 years .The last two and a half months I carried him and lifted him in and out of in his cart. I diapered him and changed belly wraps. I got tired ,I got sad, I cried and I at times wanted to give up. I looked into Mason's eyes and he was still going and not giving up. After a while I got stronger mentaly and it got easier. He decided to leave ,I did not give up on him. I wish he was still here and I could change his diapers and lift and carry him again. I miss him and will until the day I see him again. It gets easier and I will not say it was easy but I would do it again for him in a heart beat if I could.
BethT

Post by BethT »

Friend2Dogs,

Everytime I read a post of yours I cry. What eloquent and poignant words. Don't leave you have a lot to offer. BethT
Friend2Dogs

Post by Friend2Dogs »

I will read posts daily and may post if someone touches my heart or on the loss of their baby ,but I do not think I have that much to offer anyone and I am just trying to get through the days until my heart heals. Thank you for your kind words. Friend2Dogs