Help Needed: decide the best wheelchair

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
alessandra

Help Needed: decide the best wheelchair

Post by alessandra »

My Nina, a female pug with many health problems, now is losing her back legs and I really want to give her a wheelchair. She moves around in the house wobbling, she is always after me because she want to eat. When we go outside I use a sling that I built that really helps with her urinary problems. She weights 22 pounds. She is epyleptic ( I give her potassium bromide and is doing well), has an aracnoid cyst on her vertebra which causes her walking problem, she has urinary infection difficult to treat because of her resistance to antibiotic (due to the prednisone she is taking), she is almost incontinent ( she has a choice of red panties).. what else? I love her and I will do anything to make her more confortable. I really need advice for the wheelchair : pug, female, 22 pounds, likes to walk in the grass or at home, sniffing etc. ciao
Linda Mili

Re: Help Needed: decide the best wheelchair

Post by Linda Mili »

Hello and Smiles...

K9 Carts East, Dr. Lincoln Parks, Orthopedic Surgeon....A wonderful wheelchair!! I have gone to him now three times for three of my darlings...He was even able to convert the orginal wheelies so my Lily can now use it...His company is on the internet just be sure you click on K9 Carts East...I think you will be very pleased...He is located in Oxford, Maryland and his shop is open to you if you would wish to go there and have your darling fitted or he will walk you through the steps to measure, etc. and he will ship your wheelies direct to you...

Linda and "chilren short and tall" in Baltimore
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

I have an Eddies Wheels cart for my dachshund, and he moves in it like lightening. http://www.eddieswheels.com/html/pricing.html

You say that she is having trouble with bladder infections because of the prednisone? I don't quite understand this. Prednisone usually makes them thirsty, and thus the urinate more, but I've never heard of it causing a problem with urinary infections.
Is it possible she isn't emptying her bladder totally? If that is the case, you may need to learn how to express her (manually help her urinate). I understand antibiotic resistance, have you tried vit c and cranberry tablets?
Hugs,
Cindi
annora tiley

Post by annora tiley »

Hello,

I live in France and have a 12 year old Pointer who has lost the use of his back legs. I am researching the wheelchair market for him, Can anyone point me to a company in Europe that make a good quality product at a reasonable price.
The other thing that I would like advice on, is how long can the dog stay in the wheelchair, ie. is it used soley for walks, what happens when the dog wants to sit down for a rest etc.

Thank you
Carol T.

Post by Carol T. »

I'm not familiar with European-made carts, but I do know that most U.S. makers will ship to Europe. Doggon Wheels has a good reputation, and judging from their web site, they have affiliates in Europe. Web site: http://www.doggon.com/
I have a 65 pound English Setter with an Eddie's Wheels cart. It's very well built, and he gets around fine. Most manufacturers say a dog shouldn't be in a cart longer than two hours at a time. Small dogs can sometime lay down if they have a bed and/or pillows at just the right height. Big dogs can't sit or lay down in them. When I take my Bogie for long walks, he simply pauses and remains standing to rest. He can't walk without the cart, and it is such a joy to give them a measure of independence again!! I'm not sure which of us likes his cart best!!
Friend2Dogs

Post by Friend2Dogs »

My dog Mason ( he passed away recently) had an Eddies wheels .He was a Basset and he could lie down in his ,I would put a pillow under his head and tummy and he was comfortable. He could rise up and walk again when he wanted. The info with the cart said to only leave them in cart for two hours at a time and never leave them alone in it.The only problem I had with Eddie's wheels was the bar laid on his shoulders and he was old and had arthritus and seemed to hurt him at times. Hope this helps. Friend2Dogs
critters
Founding Member

Intenational cart page *LINK*

Post by critters »

annora tiley

Post by annora tiley »

Thank you Carol and Friend2Dogs for your response.
I am looking at various sites and will make a desision in the next few days. Flint is holding on and seems not too disturbed by his problems. I have noticed that during the last few days he barks when he wants to defacate. I then help him to do this by taking his temperature, inserting the thermomitor gently into his rectum, this stimulates the rectum and he passes his waste easily. I do this twice a day or when he shouts.
I help him express his urine by applying pressure on the bladder and I use an antiseptic healing cream on his elbows to prevent pressure sores.
thanks once again......Annora
Friend2Dogs

Post by Friend2Dogs »

You are very welcome, much love to you and Flint.