Re: Dogs: Hello, Paralyzed Dog Mom with Questions

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
CarolC

Re: Dogs: Hello, Paralyzed Dog Mom with Questions

Post by CarolC »

Hi Shani,

I'm sorry for your circumstances, but glad you are here! I can see you really did your homework, that's a head start for you.

What your vet said about the cart is about right. You usually have to wait a minimum of 6 weeks to get a cart, at least that is what the cart company I dealt with told me. This gives time for the injury to heal. The length of crate rest depends on what your vet recommends, but if your vet is saying 6 weeks, then be sure to use tough love and be strict about the crate rest for your dog's sake. Here is a link to a webpage on crate rest.

Dodger's List crate rest guidelines

Some people get a cart during the recovery period (after crate rest) and some do not. It partly depends on the size of your dog. If your dog is heavy or you are not strong, then using a cart will be easier than using a sling. There is some discussion about whether use of a cart hinders recovery, and the conclusion is it does not, provided you continue to do rehab all along the way. If you just abandon your dog to the cart, you should expect him to make less of a recovery. However, the cart is good for the dog's mental health, and the overall exercise of using a cart is good for general conditioning. Here is a link to a partial list of exercises, but be sure to clear anything with your vet. Doing the wrong thing during the crate rest period can really mess up your dog's chance of recovery.

Physical therapy for paralysis

You said your dog does not have bladder control. I am not sure if he is home yet? Are you expressing his bladder (or perhaps catheterizing)? There are people here who can help you with either one if needed. Here is a link discussing bladder care:

How to express a dog or cat

Do you have his crate set up, and are you happy with the arrangement? Is he on steroids?

Also, do you work full time, and is there anyone who can help you with him?

Just want you to know, other people here have been through what you are going through, and know how it feels. Others will be along to reply to your message as well, so if you want to add a little more info, that would be super! Hope this helps for starters.
CarolC

SHANI please read this SHANI

Post by CarolC »

Hi Shani,

The message you wrote in reply to my message was lost by a computer problem. Could you please repost it. I'm sorry, but I really wanted to read what else you had to say. Thanks!
Shani

Re: SHANI please read this SHANI *PIC*

Post by Shani »

Hi Carol and thanks for the responses everyone!

To answer the questions in your original reply: Hershey is home and has been since last Monday, so we're approaching just about a week of him being home.

We have his crate set-up and I suppose I am OK with it. I do work full-time, but I do have help with him, so that's a relief.

The only time we take Hershey out of his crate is when we are doing the ROM exercises, sling walking him, and expressing his bladder. It's a lot of work getting him up and out to express his bladder and clean him up, but we're managing.

If a dog is never able to regain control of their hind legs, does mean that they will never be able to control their bladder? I'm assuming the answer to that question is yes. So, then my question becomes, how do you clean up after a carted dog. Expressing the bladder is pretty easy, but as far as cleaning up after defecaiton, what means do people use? It's easy now to clean up after Hershey because he's crated, but what happens if he becomes a carted?

One last question, even though we've been cleaning his rear daily, he's been licking himself a lot. Is there anything that I should be doing? Is there some ointment or spray I should use on him? I don't want him to lick or bite himself raw, since he has no deep pain sensation he won't be able to tell. The vet only recommended keeping him clean by using a moist towel and/or baby wipes.

Hershey isn' a big dog, but he's not small either because of his long body. Here is a pic of him taken about 2 months ago before all of this happened:

Thanks for listening again. This whole situation is very hard and stressful for me, but I try to stay positive and encouraging around Hershey.

Friend2Dogs

Re: SHANI please read this SHANI

Post by Friend2Dogs »

I can only tell you what worked for Mason. I had to express him but he also dibbled constantly, for that I used a dog belly wrap I bought at Pet Smart. I then foled two cloth baby diapers inside or a poise pad. For poop ,I bought baby pull ups and cut a slit for the tail. I then took masking tape and foled where loose to make snug. I at night covered that with a cloth dog diaper I bought at Pet Smart. He got so he would bark when he had to poop and I would put him in his cart outside so he could potty and while in cart I would express his bladder. It is easier to put the belly wrap back on while he was in his cart. I did not put a diaper on him until out of cart. I washed his bottom everyday by using two rubber pans I bought at a feed store. It was not very tall and round ,I would put soap and warm water in one and rinse water in other. I would lift him up with a towel and put in eash pan. I had laid a towel beside the pans and would lay him on this and dry him with another towel. When dry I would rub medicated powder on him and sprinkle in his diaper before putting on. Hope this helps some.
Dianne

Paralyzed dog with IVDD *LINK*

Post by Dianne »

Hi Shanni,

I missed your previous messages but noted that your long bodied pup appears to be paralyzed and incontinent as a result of IVDD.

I've got a paralyzed, incontinent doxie that was injured as a result of IVDD 1 1/2 years ago. He did NOT have the surgery. I've been expressing his bladder during this time, and also learned to encourage him to do #2. My dog does not wear a male wrap, a diaper for feces, nor other pants when in his cart. If I do "poop on demand" several times per day he does NOT have any fecal accidents during the day or night. You won't need to worry about feces in his cart if you learn to express his bowels.

First, you've got to get over the "ick" factor. "It" won't touch your hands, but if you are really concerned, you could wear a medical glove and dispose of it.

I'll post the link below so you can read several methods.

I stand on the left side of the toilet, hold my 25 lb. dog in my left arm with his rear end over the open toilet. Using my right hand (I push his tail up and out of the way) I can then grasp and pull on the anal area with my thumb and two fingers,and actually feel a fecal mass that needs to be expelled.

If you want to have a cleaner house, and avoid accidents, you will find a method in the link below that will work for your pup.

The first few weeks are an emotional roller coaster, but it WILL get better. It's ok to cry. But, you can do this, and your dog may even have a good recovery given crate rest and time.

Dianne

http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Bowel_management_in_incontinent_pets