Cats: foam in vomit

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
mohana

Cats: foam in vomit

Post by mohana »

Hi, i cant remember which i was spkng abt my cat frisky,it was on catshelp or handicaped pets. my cat who was only 2 yrs passed away a week ago.all that happened was that he vomitted in the morn his dryfood, next thng i saw was watery stiky puke with a bit of foam.i cald the vet he said acidity.anyway i dont want 2 go in2 2 many d tails.i gav him med 4 vomittng,by late evening he'd pukd foam,then he had water,a cuple of hrs later he pukd again,and went 2 sleep.by morning he was dead!wat cud hav causd this i need 2 kno as i hav 6 other cats and adog i dont want anyone of them 2 go bcoz of my ignorance.i dont do any pest control bcoz of my cats and dog.the first thng my vet askd was did u hav pest control?i desperately need 2 kno wat cud hav caysed his death.he was only 2 years old!
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

You need an autopsy.

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Yes they do autopsies. Your vet should have suggested it. My cat had survived a bite by cottonmouth in the early 80s. A year later, he is lethargic, unable to move. Took back to doc who saved him from snakebite (no antivenin for him, too late into the bite) and he treated him and sent him home. I found him under a cupboard, biting into a cat food box. Total rigor mortis. Made doc autopsy. He said, cat will have to go to Columbia, where they have the testing. I said "open him up, I have a baby and another cat!" He had burst blood vessels all over his body. Perhaps the snake bite the year before had weakened his veins or arterial walls, I'll never know. But I did know he was not contagious.
Your cat must have ingested something is all I can figure. But you are right to worry. Get your other cat to doc for standard infectious tests, and get an autopsy.
Sometimes there is nothing we can do to keep them alive. Especially when we trust our healtlh care professionals. Don't blame yourself. But do insist the vet do an autopsy to rule out.
Blessings to you and I am so sorry for your loss!
mohana

Re: You need an autopsy.

Post by mohana »

Thank you Karen, Andy,Cindi, for your advice,I checked with my vet and 2 others they said,i wud not get an accurate reading from the labs here,anyway between my daughter and me we tought it best 2 let him be,as he had suffered enuf in his life,cud not bring ourselves 2 hav his body mutilated.We have started getting the other animals go thru tests,hopefully they are ok.My daughter is shattered as Frisky slept with her she took total care of him,making him wear diapers,cleaning him 2/3 times aday etc,she'd even taught him to kiss when she asked,he wud promptly lick the tip of her nose.The house seems empty without him.