Re: Dogs: TAMA HAS PASSED, MY GOD!!!!

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Carol T.

Re: Dogs: TAMA HAS PASSED, MY GOD!!!!

Post by Carol T. »

Robyn:
There have been far too many unkind posts on here. Stephanie is a kind, loving person who is hurting deeply right now. Her family and environment passed intense scrutiny when they adopted Missy. I won't engage in an argument, but I have to say I am incredulous that you would feel the need to add to her pain.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

The purpose of the H-cap board - and I am being presumptuous

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

is to comfort, aid, assist, recommend, advise, and be helpful.
We will go to all lengths to assist you and to try to find your answers, or direct you.
That is why I am here, as are thousands of others.
We love what we do.
We come here when we hurt.
This is the first place I came when I was devastated by a totally non-h-cap pet related tragedy. My family rallied round me and kept me breathing in and breathing out.
That has proven to be our lifeline, folks. Our compassion and complete understanding.
We are kind and we grieve with other suffering "parents". We will hold hands and be shoulders. That is what we do.For now and for always.
There is no more special group of people than my H-cap family.
We are here to support, not to condemn, act as judge and jury. And come to false accusations.
We do not participate in hurtful activities.
I am sorry that I missed the post.
If one feels the need to post a hurtful comment, there are dozens, no hundreds of boards on which to participate. This is not one of them.

Carol T.

Re: The purpose of the H-cap board - and I am being presumpt

Post by Carol T. »

I notified Mark and asked him to remove it. It looks like he did. I am praying that it didn't get to Stephanie's mail box.
Stephanie

Post by Stephanie »

Carol,

Yes, unfortunately, I did see it. It broke my heart, maybe moreso because she was right. As much as I don't want to admit it. I could not read anymore of her letter after I got to the point of no sympathy. Of course, we feel horrible and guilty and we will forever, but I would never rub salt into anyones wounds and our wounds are very deep right now. My message to Karen, and now to you, I want you to know how thankful I am to have you through all of this. I can honestly say that this has been the most trying time and then Robyns response really cut deep and your response to her really made me feel good to know that your there for support and not to intentionally hurt someone. Carol, you are a true friend and you can always count on me to be in your corner. We loved Tama and never in my wildest dreams did we think this would happen. We knew dangers of choker collars, but he could not wear a regular collar, they irritated him and since his spinal stroke, could not itch. We itched his ears for him. The choker collar was never an issue as far as him climbing or digging to get out. His hind legs were only about 60%. However, with all of the commotion from the accident by our house, his adrenaline must have been surging. We are forever sorry that he went the way we did. He died Tuesday night and my kids went to my sisters, they could not bear to be home. My husband and I sat up until about 2 in the morning, feeling horrible and talking about all of the what ifs. Robyn had every right to say what she did, I don't have to like it though. It hurt, so I hope she feels better, because we are very hurt. You were right when you said we went through allot to bring Missy into our home. It was not an overnight process. We had to have applications, a home inspection, where the inspector came to our house with her dog to see how Tama was with other dogs, she inspected our house inside and out. Even the coop. Tama was not kept outside, just for the record. Rainy and cold days, he was inside snuggled on our couch. Nice days, he wanted to be outside, he was a Shepherd. We tried to accomodate him in every way. Carol, thank you for all of your understanding. I wish you and Karen were right here in front of me...I would hug both of you for defending me and being the truly caring people that you are. You have been a beacon of light to me and my family.

Love,
Stephanie Missy and forever Tama
now we have Monty, the crazy pup
Friend2Dogs

Post by Friend2Dogs »

Stepanie it is not just choke collars it can be collars. My brother had two small spoiled dogs last year and they never went outside. They had collars on with their city and rabies tags. My brother came home one day and one was gone and other in bad shape( she made it) They had gotten their tags caught together and pulled and pulled for hours it seems. So that is why it is not your fault, you did not mean for it to happen and are not to blame. I also lost a taco bell dog years ago his name was Dinky,he had a collar on and I had a small fence made so he could go out side for a little while everyday when nice. He got his collar caught one day ten minutes after I had put him in his pen ,the vet said he struggled in that small amount of time before he died. It was not my fault as I did not mean for it to happen and never knew the dangers of collars. My dog now wear break away collars for cats except for Mike as he is too big, I put stretch rubber on his so if he gets caught it will stretch and let him loose I hope.
Stephanie

Post by Stephanie »

Friend2Dogs, thank you, you have been such a positive friend for me:)) Your right, I can't keep blaming myself because NEVER would I have wanted this to happen to Tama. It's a shame, this should not even be a continuing issue right now, we should not be hashing this right now, because Robyn felt the need to hurt me. We should be helping other family members with their questions and concerns. We should be consoling all of the other members who lost their pets. I just have nothing to say to Robyn, other than I truly hope no accidents happen in her care. I really mean that. I know mostly everyone did not get to read her message, which is good, but I got it in my email. It was a smack in the face, that's for sure. Friend2Dogs, I feel horrible for you and your brother, I can NOW certainly understand the pain associated with a horrible death, but your stories made me feel better knowing I did not do it on purpose and it has happened, unfortunately. We just do ALL that we can to keep it from happening ever again. Thanks Friend2Dogs, here is a hug from me to you:))

Love
Stephanie Missy and forever Tama
The New Monty
Carol T.

Post by Carol T. »

Stephanie: Thanks for the kind words. Please email me at carlie02@hotmail.com. I have something I think you might be interested in.
Friend2Dogs

Post by Friend2Dogs »

I found online where they sale break away dog collars. It says all other collars are unsafe and people are unaware. I may order for my big dog, I wonder if PetSmart or one of the pet stores carry them? Thank you for the kind words and the hug, lately I will take all the hugs I can get.Friend2Dogs
connie

Post by connie »

stephanie,
i came home from work one day( before cricket got paralyzed). and found him all tangled up with his collar in my lace curtain. his tag had got caught and it looked like he went round and round till he couldn't go anymore. pal i was shocked, guilt set in so hard, i cried and hugged him all night, thinking what might have been. i am telling you this so you know it does happen to others. you did nothing wrong and"what ifs" will drive you nuts. your baby was taken great care of i know and loved deeply. accidents happen, no matter how good we are. NO ONE should throw blame on you and tell you how bad the collar was. it happned and you are in great pain.
you have learned, just like i have. cricket no longer wears any collar. vet told me after his surgery to never put one on him in a crate. but i already wasn't going too after the curtain thing. i didn't read the post that was upsetting, but i heard about it. i just want you to know i am so sorry it was ever written to you.
this board is wonderful, they have helped me and others and no posts should ever be posted to hurt someone. we are here for our pets and their owners. someday you will walk your dog again, and he will be so healthy. you are a wonderful fur baby mom and don't let anyone tell you different. you are always in my prayers.

hugs,

connie and cricket
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Anything Can Happen. With 2 and 4 leggers

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I was pup sitting for my landlords in 1971. One dog climbed a tree and hung himself.
I was able to resucitate him, and he lived a good long life.
My son spent first 3 years (and many afterward) in hospital. The accidents that happened to children are unbelievable and horrific. Diaper area 3rd degree burns from pulling pot off stove.
3 lawnmower accidents, one of which, 4 year old, had his arm stitched to his body trying to graft and regrow tissue for the bones left on his arm. He fortunately was diagnosed w/cancer at that time. Fortunately because had he not had this hideous accident, they would not have found the tumor.
He was 4, a very grown child, to my uneducated mind. My child was a baby.
I saw so many hideous accidents in Cincinnati's Children's Hospital.
These things happen all over.
Including the editor of our local paper, who drove over her own child. That baby is buried in Sea Pines cemetary.
Things happen every day that we cannot predict.
Ginny Potterveld

Post by Ginny Potterveld »

Stephanie and all,
I lost a ten month old labrador who was a chewer and found some twine while I was not watching. It got stuck in her intestines - to make a long story short, my vet operated and removed it and part of her intestines but she died that night. I felt terribly guilty until the breeder said to me that I could have been walking Carrie safely on a leash down the street and a large branch could have fallen on her and killed her - accidents DO happen and we just have to grieve but be comforted by how much we loved the dog and how much the dog loved us. I don't know why these things have to happen - but we just have to go on and keep loving all our animals.
Ginny
Rita

Post by Rita »

Stephanie,

I didn't see Robyn's post either but look what happened as a result of it - so many people showered you with love and shared their own stories to help you get through the pain of this. On balance they outweigh her a thousand times.

If she's reading all these posts, I wonder what she's thinking.

Best wishes,

Rita
Janice c.

Post by Janice c. »

Yes, I BELIEVE THIS WEB SITE OFFERS INVALUABLE INFO. AND SUPPORT AND THE "Blame Game" is totally inappropriate and callous. I had also received a message from this same individual in question when my dog was hit by a car, in which I was blatantly accused of this "being my fault". Those type of comments serve only to cause more psychic pain and guilt. This is supposed to be a postive and encouraging web for people who truely love their ahimals and need experienced advice. OBVIOSLY, THINGS ARE BETTER LEFT UNSAID.