Help Needed: pet amputation

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
June B.

Help Needed: pet amputation

Post by June B. »

I have a 10 year old bullmastiff with a large tumor on her front leg which has got to the point of bone fracture in her upper leg bone. She is in pain and I am wondering if the splint would work with this 10 inch tumor which is located just above the wrist joint. This would be temporarty until I decide to amputate or put her down,to keep her comfortable. Also trying to decide because of her age (10) whether this would just be too old although she has a good attitude and is otherwise healthy. Please give me some advise and pray for Ottis. God bless you all and your pets. J.B.
Cindidoxiemom

Re: Help Needed: pet amputation

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Why isn't tumor removal an option? There are plenty of animals that do fine with amputation, I don't see that as a reason to put your dog down. Even if you splint that leg, the pain isn't going to go away, and I think I would talk to the vet about pain medications so you can get your dog comfortable.
Cindi
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I know 10 is old for a Mastiff, but I'd have to try to save him if it were me. I'd try amputation.
Linda

Post by Linda »

Dear June,
My dog Charlie (a BIG shepherd) just had to have his left front leg amputated due to bone cancer. He had a tumor the size of a tennis ball in the same spot as your dog's. I took him to an oncologist, and amputation was recommended. It was not an easy decision to make, but he would have died otherwise. So far he is doing well and learning to walk with 3 legs. If your dog has bone cancer, you may not have much time to make a decision. Find out ASAP if it is cancer and discuss your options with your vet. I would be happy to discuss this further with you if would like. Please feel free to email me at ljw@comcast.net - my prayers are with you - Linda