Help Needed: Coon Hound Paralysis

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Lynn

Help Needed: Coon Hound Paralysis

Post by Lynn »

Hi,
My sister's Jack Russel - Dixie had a run in three weeks ago with a mother coon and now has Coon Hound Paralysis.
We are in week three and up until this past Friday, Dixie wasn't able to move legs, neck or bark and has been having trouble breathing. On Saturday she started to move her neck and her breathing seems better but nothing else has changed.
We would be interested in hearing from anyone who has gone thru this with their small dogs as what we could be doing to help her more. We are giving her water but should we be getting her to drink a beef broth. She's been feed various cuts of cooked beef smoothered in butter and with the other dogs and cats so she'll make the effort. Having a fan blowing on her makes a big difference in her breathing. She doesn't like to be left alone and she's not for more than two hours at a time.
She urniates only once or twice a day so far and her bowel movements were around 4-5 days apart but she did have one four days in a row but she didn't have one Saturday. I'm thinking it's all the beef she's being fed.
Any help info on your experencies would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Lynn
Cindidoxiemom

Re: Help Needed: Coon Hound Paralysis

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

I think I would take Dixie back to the Vet. According to what I have read, by week three she should be showing more improvement. As for the urinating, if she is paralyzed,the nerves controling the bladder very well might be paralyzed as well. Dixie may need to be expressed. This means you might have to manually put pressure on Dixie's bladder to help her urinate. This is VERY important. Right now it sounds like Dixie's bladder is just over flowing.
http://www.handicappedpets.com/Articles/express/
This article may help you, but you really should see a vet to learn how to express properly.
Is she on steroids? I understand that this disease is an inflmation of the nerves and that steroids are one form of treatment.
I would think that trying to digest all that meat would make her breathing more labored. Try a little boiled chicken and rice.
I would not advise beef broth , but you might try LOW SALT chicken broth mixed with some water.

Good luck with Dixie and keep us updated.
Cindi
Lynn

Post by Lynn »

Thank you Cindi for your quick response.
I have let my sister know and I'm sure she will be in touch with the vet on Monday morning.
Dixie is on Medicam. My sister had carried her with her when she went to bring the cows home this evening and Dixie was holding her head up and looking around the whole time.
I will keep posting until Dixie is on the go again. Tks.
Lynn
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Wow..the fact that Dixie is lifting her head up and looking around sounds very promising. Sometimes our little furry friends just are on a different healing schedule than we would like. Please do keep me update...I will be watching for a post that says "Dixie back to normal"!
Hugs,
Cindi