Other: Thank you

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
BethT

Other: Thank you

Post by BethT »

I just want to thank everyone for there thoughts, prayers, support over the amputation and then death of my cat Speck. It has been a very rough few days and your kind words will not be forgotten.
BethT
Dianne

Sympathy

Post by Dianne »

Beth,

I'm terribly sorry for your loss of Speck. During the last week I've silently followed your story and hoped for a good outcome. There must be many more like me who have read Speck's story and grieved silently for your loss.

You really tried to do the best for him after his diagnosis of cancer. You considered the options and made the best choice for him. Choices are always difficult, but you did the best you could. No one could have forseen the clot.

Sending healing thoughts to you in your sadness. He was very lucky to have you.

Dianne
BethT

thank you Dianne *NoMsg*

Post by BethT »

Jean

Re: thank you Dianne

Post by Jean »

Beth,
Speck was so lucky to have someone who cared for her. You posted many times asking for advice on whether or not you should have her leg amputated. I was one who suggested that you have the leg amputated to give her more time and to even save her life. My "dog child" Rosco had cancer but did not have the option of amputation due to the fact that the cancer was in her thyroid gland.

I also have several cats with missing limbs. After considering the importance of getting more of the cancer cells as well as the adaptability of cats with three legs I recommended that Speck have the surgery. Speck was only 12? and I thought it would give her many more years with her family. The blood clot was something that was unlikely to occur and I am so sorry that Speck and your family had to experience this.
Remember it is OK to cry. I still cry when I think of Rosco who died six years ago in May. My prayers are with you, Jean
BethT

Re: thank you Dianne

Post by BethT »

Jean,

Thanks for your kind words. Please do not feel badly about sharing your opinion about amputating Speck's leg. I have been here for 2 years and have read so many happy stories about 3 legged pets. After doing lots of research about fibrosarcoma I knew that it was really the only hope of extending Speck's life. Through my research I also found another amazing support group for people with cats that have vaccination associated sarcomas. I do not know if Speck's sarcoma was actually related to a vaccination site it was in the front left leg. Everyone on that website said the same thing, that the only hope for Speck was to amputate. I got no less then 50 emails from this group after I told them that Speck died. They were horrified that Speck died. And I know they also felt guilty. But as I said to them (and now to you) I had done the research and I had made the decision before I had every posted. I just needed to hear from some others for confidence. Most of the people in this group have tripods and they all said that it sounds most certain that poor little Speck had an underlying heart condition like HCM that caused a clot or cardiac arrest. Some said that cats just aren't that traumatized by amputation that it would kill them. If I had another animal tomorrow that had this same cancer I would choose to amputate again. It is just what you have to do for this cancer. It is still so heart breaking. Speck was 14 but looked and acted like a kitten which makes it even harder to comprehend that she had an issue with her heart. I so appreciate your kind words. Beth