News: update on decision to bring dog home

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Tiffany

Re: News: update on decision to bring dog home

Post by Tiffany »

Yeah a big towel would work You could use anything that works for you. You could try a regular sheet that might be easier to handle if your doing it by yourself
We wish you the best of luck!!
Eros & Tiffany
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Towel walking

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

is actually a term used by vets.
The hospital told me they were going to towel-walk Jude. Had never heard the term before, but it was a no-brainer just the term.
They didn't. Said he stood up and fell over.
I yelled, "Well, that had to hurt".
He had two fractured hip sides, as well as a totally shot up front leg, both bones broke.
So yes, Towel walking is a common therapy used in hospital.
Ginny Potterveld

Post by Ginny Potterveld »

Anna,
We ordered the walkabout harnesses (back and front) from handicapped pets and had them sent by express mail - ordered them on a Thursday eve. and got them on Monday. If you order them today or tomorrow you should have them by end of week I would think if you live in the US. The harnesses were great for our labrador - thank God we did not have to use them for too long as she has pretty much recovered from her vestibular stroke.
We are keeping harnesses in case she has a relapse. Good luck with your dog and we are keeping both of you in our prayers.
Ginny
Cody's Mom

Post by Cody's Mom »

Hi Anna,

It didn't take long for me to receive Cody's harness. It is hard to catch the lady on the phone. It's not like someone is sitting at the phone waiting to take orders. I would try ordering on the internet. That's what I did after playing phone tag for a few days.

I think the girl tries to ship out the next day as long as you pick a standard size. What I mean by that is choosing S, M, L, XL or whatever. They offer custom made harnesses in case your dog doesn't fit within the measurements of a particular size. Sorry, I can't remember what your baby's bowel/bladder condition is. If there is a chance of using diapers in the future, remember to allow some extra room for that. The harness does fit fairly snug so you would want to figure in diapers for the rear harness in case that is necessary in the future.

Hugs to you and Dylan,

Cody's FOREVER proud Mom
Jane Scott

Post by Jane Scott »

Hi Anna;
The low cost, old beach towel worked great for our Harley (standard daschund) until... seeing he just doesn't want to walk but run ... you can imagine our horror when he ran himself right out of the towel. A few pavement scraps tells the story of Harley and the towel! Jane
Carolyn

Re: URGENT: All: Carolyn needs help!

Post by Carolyn »

Dear Karen...Thank you for your immediate response to my cry for help this past Monday morning....I was overwhelmed and scared with the thought of bringing home a handicapped pet...The responses I received from the message board (because of your message "Carolyn needs help" assured me that Willow's future was bright. Monday afternoon, however, I received a call from my vet that Willow was having breathing problems...she died later that night....I brought her home and buried her in my yard...I miss her more than words can say...Thank you for responding to me ... you have no idea how much it means to have some place to turn to when you don't have a "clue" what to do next...Thank you...Carolyn
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Dear Anna...You immediately recognized my story of Willow for yours was similar...My story does not have a happy ending, however...Monday afternoon, after I had read of your dog on the message board, I received a call from my vet...Willow was having trouble breathing and her rib cage was paralyzed...Willow died that night as I held her...I brought her home and buried her the next morning...I miss her more than words can say...I wish you continued good luck and encourage you not to give up...Willow could have made it,too..and so could I, with the help of you and others like you who share their stories. Carolyn