News: update on decision to bring dog home

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Anna

News: update on decision to bring dog home

Post by Anna »

Hi,

I wanted to thank all of you who encouraged me to give my dog a chance when I wrote a few days ago about my dog Dylan who became paralyzed after a fall from the second floor. We were very torn about what to do since the doctors were not very encouraging and we didn't know if we were up for all the work that would be required to care for our dog. But our dog
"talked" to us as we visited him on Saturday. He put on quite a show when he saw a cat at the hospital that almost made him forget he is paralyzed! I don't know if somehow he knew we were at a decision point and possibly putting him down, but he made it clear to me that he was eager to get up and walk again with all the work he was doing to try to get up when he saw the cat! I couldn't see him trying so hard and put him down. So we talked to the physcial therapist and she agreed that he had made some progress in the past week with his ability to put some weight on his paws while on an exercise ball. So we decided to give him a chance and brought him home on Saturday. I've had a full 24 hours of caring for him, and I can relate to Paisley's mom--that seeing Dylan happy and comfortable at home is worth it. I don't know how the rest of you handle the getting up every four hours to turn such a heavy dog, but I was able to do it last night.... Getting him on an exercise ball to do therapy is straining my back. Any pointers on how to do weight-bearing physical therapy with a heavy dog?
Thanks again for your encouragement and we'll keep you posted on our progress. Thanks! Anna
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

They do tell us, don't they?

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I want to live! My St.Jude shouted the same thing. I am smiling this morning at your news.
Oftentimes, the doctor has no idea the depth of our love for our critter (sorry critters) but as time marches on, they are slowly learning we will do anything for our critters (sorry critters) and that these lives deserve a chance.
Christine

Re: News: update on decision to bring dog home

Post by Christine »

Dear Anna,

I was so happy to read about your decision. We are all rooting for you and your baby! Keep us posted and "vent" when you need to. There's lots of help here from these sweet ladies (and Paul) so just ask.

Love,

Christine and Bailey
connie

Post by connie »

hi anna,
so glad you decided to give it a try. we are here for you, just ask. my cricket's eyes told me the same thing, I WANNA GO HOME. and i have never regreted it. it was stressful, i shed a lot of tears, but in the long run, i have my boy and he is healthy. all we can do is try, and i hope and pray you recieve great progress with you dylan. let us know if we can help.

hugs,

connie and cricket
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Anna~
You need to look into getting a sling for Dylan. Also, If you can get a sheet under him, you can use that as leverage to turn him. Your doing all you can hon, and your giving him a chance. Some of the people with bigger dogs can tell you how they handle things daily. Oscar is small so I can lift him easily. But a sling and a sheet for leverage might help. Stay calm and take the issues one at a time. Your doing fine!!
Hugs,
Cindi
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Anna...I am so proud of you for bringing home your dog....I am in the same decision-making situation right now....my doberman is paralized from a spinal cord operstion and is still at the vet hospital, receiving physical therapy....I am at a loss as what to do....Your story inspires me.Carolyn
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Help me...I'm scared and don't know if I can bring my doberman home...I don't know if I can care for her properly...This has happened so fast...My beautiful dog walked in to the doctor's office...and is now paralyzed...How did you know what to do???Carolyn
Paul Coover

And Paul

Post by Paul Coover »

And Paul here! Our pets do communicate with us, we just have to be smart enough to listen and understand. Good luck!
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

URGENT: All: Carolyn needs help! *NoMsg*

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Cody's Mom

Re: News: update on decision to bring dog home *LINK*

Post by Cody's Mom »

Hi Anna,

It will probably take two people to do the ball exercise with Dylan, but you might could do it with just one person if you have to. I did the Swiss ball (physio-roll)exercises with Cody and I agree, it is hard on your back when they can't help you out too much. If you are trying to get Dylan on the ball yourself, here's an idea. How about getting him propped up against a wall or recliner or such in as much of a standing position as possible and then scoot the ball up under him and then try to get him away from the chair or wall enough to do the exercises.

I'm not sure if you have a harness or not, but that would help a lot in moving him around and getting him on the ball also. Cody had the front and rear walkabout harnesses and they were a lifesaver in helping him get around. I wish I had found them sooner. I'll include a link at the bottom.

Good luck to you and Dylan!

Love,

Cody's FOREVER proud Mom

Walkabout Harnesses
Tiffany

Re: News: update on decision to bring dog home *LINK*

Post by Tiffany »

Hello
My dog was paralyzed for a little while due to a back fracture. He is a 4 year old GSD and I used a regular harness in the front and a crib sheet under his belly right where his legs meet his belly place his feet where they belong and kind of rock him back and forth and side to side still giving him partial support but making him support himself a little. This seemed to work for him.
Also another way to get him to excersize is to pull on his feet and try to get him to pull them back away from you I don't know if this will work for your baby or not but keep the faith your rewards will be great.
ERos & Tiffany

Eros' Story
Tiffany

Post by Tiffany »

sorry I linked the wrong post if you scroll down it is in that thread somewhere.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Hi, Carolyn.

I understand how heartbreaking and stressful it can be to feel like you have to make a decision and really not know what to do. My husband and I were genuinely torn about what to do and went to the hospital still unsure, but open to at least visit our dog, see how he was doing, and get more information from the doctors and physical therapists to their opinion about what we should do. To our surprise, our dog put on quite an act when we came to visit, showing us that he was improving and eager to get up. The doctors and physical therapists witnessed it, and tested him on an exercise ball, and said it was worth a try to take him home. Honestly, it is still hard to know whether my dog can recover and whether we will end up putting him down at a later point in time, but for now, I'm glad he at least can be at home with me for a little while and I can feel like I'm still helping him fight when he is still showing some fight in him.

My dog was in the hospital for 3 weeks before we brought him home. Your dog may need a lot of time in the hospital to show whether or not he can recover, too. I know it's expensive and stressful, but it's the only way to tell if they are getting stronger or not.

My heart goes out to you and I hope everything goes well with your doberman. Big hug, Anna
Anna

Post by Anna »

Thanks, Cody's mom!

Our physical therapist called this morning to check on how Dylan was doing and she also recommended the walkabout harness. So thanks for the link! Do you know how long it takes to receive it after you order it? Thanks again, Anna
Anna

Post by Anna »

Thanks for this idea, Tiffany. We might be able to try it and see if it is easier than using the ball. We do have regular dog harnesses/seat belts that we can use for the front. We don't have a crib sheet. Would a large towel work you think? Or other ideas? Thanks again, Anna