Other: Caroyln! In here please

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Cindidoxiemom

Other: Caroyln! In here please

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Carolyn,
Tell us about your precious doberman's story. Give us as much information as you can about the history, surgery, condition, prognosis etc. There are plenty of us here who care for paralyzed pets. Let us try to help.
Hugs,
Cindi
Carolyn

Re: Other: Caroyln! In here please

Post by Carolyn »

Willow, my seven year old Doberman, had herniated disc surgery on July 2nd. She walked in to the operation, but ever since the operation, she can not walk. She is slowly regaining feeling in her toes, when pinched, but can only stand with help. She can hold her weight on her hind feet for only 10 seconds or so...front feet, only minimal feeling and can bear no weight at all...She is continent, and will pee when they take her outside and has regular bowl movements, all while in her sling. She eats well and drinks water, but not from a bowl...she won't eat with her head upright (operation was on her neck, hence front leg paralysis and refusal to eat sitting upright).
It's been two weeks today since her surgery and
they can keep her no longer at the vet hospital...Someone mentioned an underwater tread mill, but there are none in Kentucky (where I live)...one in Dayton, one in Columbus...I am so worried ...This has happened so fast...I just don't know what to do....Carolyn
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Cindi...The vet hospital would not give me a prognosis...they just say "each animal is different...we can't predict what will happen after a spinal surgery....Carolyn
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Take a deep breath...calm down...you CAN handle this. First, Willow had deep pain and bowel/bladder control. You are ahead of the game as far as paralyzed pups go.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Dodgerslist/messages
That is a link for Dodger's list. It is a message board just for IVDD dogs. Now most of the dogs are dachshunds, but they help ALL kinds of dogs there.
http://www.holisticvetlist.com/
This is a site to search for a holistic vet. Acupuncture and chrio sometimes are helpful.

Water therapy can be done by an owner. Do any of your friends have a pool? As long as Willow isn't scared of the water...you can get in the pool...support her body and allow her to try to move her legs. There are also lifejackets for dogs that might work. Make sure your surgeons show you how to do passive therapy at home.
Is Willow still on prednisone?
Do you have a nice crate for Willow. She will need at least another 4 weeks of crate rest. You will need to have her crated except for therapy and potty time.
Again, stay calm...you CAN do this!
Hugs,
Cindi
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Yes, IVDD surgery is unique for each dog. I have TWO dogs that have had the surgery...one walked one day post op, and the other is still paralyzed, but showing signs of improvement 8 months after surgery. The fact that Willow has deep pain is an excellent sign. It took Oscar 8 months to just get to that point!
Cindi
Friend2Dogs

Post by Friend2Dogs »

My Basset had Ivdd and cancer, I chose to have the cancer surgery but not the surgery for Ivdd. He was 14 1/2 so I did not want to put him through it. I bought him an Eddies cart ,he loved it for the 2 months we had him. He could walk and he felt like a normal dog. From what I hear from others here, the dogs can get better months down the line. Others whose dogs have had this surgery will be on here to help you I am sure. They know more than I as Mason did not have the surgery. It is not that hard taking care of a paralized dog ,just takes a little while to learn how and get into the routine.Has the vet recomened crate rest ,I have read on here this is what they need to heal.
Friend2Dogs

Post by Friend2Dogs »

They will be some one on soon to help you. My dog Mason had Ivdd ,I chose not to have the surgery due to his age 14 1/2 and he had to go through cancer surgery. I know how to take care of a dog that had no surgery but not one that has had the surgery. Some one will be on soon to help you. Did the Vet recomend crate rest? I have heard others here talk about they need this to heal. You can do this ,I did for Mason and if I can you can . It is not that hard once you learn how and get into a routine. Friend2Dogs
Paul Coover

Re: Other: Caroyln! In here please *LINK*

Post by Paul Coover »

Each dog is indeed different when it comes to IVDD. We have one dog named Riley that had IVDD but recovered. One day he just got up and started walking! I included a link to his story.

We have 2 others that are also paralyzed. One of them has IVDD. Pork Chop never had the surgery, and he has been down since December 2003. He may walk again, he may not. The wheelchair carts are a great tool for them to be able to live a normal, happy life. Good luck!

Paul

Riley's Story
Tiffany

Re: Other: Caroyln! In here please *LINK*

Post by Tiffany »

Hello
Keep the faith you've come this far, If you have the time you can bring her home and take care of her. A good way to get a big dog around is to use a harness in the front and back we used a regular front harness in the front but you may need to get a special one as her surgery was in the neck and a crib sheet in the back. This worked for us you can buy specialty harnesses from this sight or lots of others on the internet. You're vet will help you decide what you need. IF (and thats a big if) she doesn't regain use of her legs they make wheelchairs for dogs without use of any legs. Remember the BIG decision can always be made later but once you make it you can't unmake it. Miracles DO happen all the time my own is sitting with his head on my lap right now =-),
We wish you the best of luck!!
Eros & Tiffany

Eros' Story
Tiffany

Re: Other: oops

Post by Tiffany »

sorry I linked the wrong message but if you scroll down its in that thread somewhere
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Cindi..You were the first person to respond to my cry for help this past Monday. I was overwhelmed with the thought of caring for a handicapped pet and didn't know if it were possible...With your help and the messages of others, I felt confident of taking care of Willow....and knew if I had a question,this message board would certainly help me...Monday afternoon, Willow's vet called me and said she was having trouble breathing...I left immediately and drove to Ohio State University (300 miles) and was able to spend about 45 minutes with her...she recognized me, lifted her head , and responded to my voice...I brought her back to Kentucky and buried her Tuesday morning....I miss her move than words can say...Thank you so much for your words of encouragement...Please continue to help others...You don't know how much it means to hear what others have experiences and to know this scary road need not be so hard...Thank you...Carolyn
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Carolyn & Willow *~(

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Carolyn I am so very sorry for your loss. I have no words of comfort, just know we all grieve with you and will be here for you as the realization creeps into your conscious mind. It will be tough, so be sure to remember we are here for you.
My very deepest sympathies on your loss. But I am SOOO thankful you got to see her and be with her when she went to the bridge...
Christy Mullady

Post by Christy Mullady »

Carolyn, I'm truly sorry for your loss. That had to have been one difficult and long drive from OSU. Sometimes all we have is the comfort of knowing that someone's out of pain and isn't suffering any longer. Isn't enough to sustain every minute, but helps in the end. Thoughts are with you. And with Willow.
Friend2Dogs

Post by Friend2Dogs »

I am so sorry for your loss. I do not know what else to say. I lost Mace July 6th so I do know what you are going through.