Dogs: paralyzed

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Carolyn

Dogs: paralyzed

Post by Carolyn »

Willow, my seven year old Doberman, had herniated disc surgery on her neck on July 2nd. She walked in to the hospital, but ever since the operation, she can not stand. She has sensation in her toes, withdrawing them when pinched. She can only hold her weight on her hind feet for 10 seconds or so. She can not stand or hold her weight on her front feet. She is continent and will pee when they take her outside. She also has regular bowel movements, while in a sling. She eats well and drinks water, but - she will only eat lying on her side. She will not eat with her head in an upright position or setting up. It's been two weeks since her surgery and they can keep her no longer at the Vet hospital. Someone mentioned an underwater treadmill, but there are none in Kentucky (where I live) - one in Dayton, Ohio, and one in Columbus, Ohio. I am so worried - this has happened so fast...I don't know what to do....Carolyn
Murphy's Dad

Re: Dogs: paralyzed *LINK*

Post by Murphy's Dad »

Stop and take a deep breath...

Willow has undergone major back surgery. Two weeks isn't enough time to tell her future. It took our Murphy a year just to stand, though he was parayzed before surgery. Pinching the toes and having the leg withdraw is INVOLUNTARY action, a reflex. Pinch Willow's toe when she is not aware of it, if she recognizes the pain, then she has deep pain sensation (good thing). If she doesn't notice it, the she does not (not so good).

You are looking for an underwater treadmill, thats high tech in some areas. Consider low tech, simple swimming. In KY you have many horse training facilities. There should be a few nearby that will let you swim Willow during free hours. Thats what we did with Murphy, he swam at Showplace farms in NJ.

If you can handle it, I would suggest bringing her home. She will prefer familiar surroundings and it will save you some money. But be sure you understand how to express her bladder and properly care for her.

Keep asking questions, we will answer as best we can.

visit Murphy's World - One Special Beagle
connie

Re: Dogs: paralyzed

Post by connie »

CAROLYN,
same thing happened to me. i took cricket to vet for what they thought was an infection. he walked in there and out. but that night, all of a sudden he screamed and fell down. could no longer use hind legs. i picked him up, he was in so much pain, he bit my finger to the bone. he had a ruptured disk!! i rushed him to a vet who told me what happened and that he needed surgery fast. well i took him to another state fast but that vet said it wouldn't do much good, no deep pain and it was up to me. i insisted on surgery and if you only see him now. but carolyn they kept him a week, then i brought him home . i was told to fully crate him to heal and rest for 6 weeks. i did that, only taking him out to empty bladder and do R.O.M. exercises. he howled , cried, threw a fit cause of crate( he always slept with me).
but i made him stay in crate. after his back healed, we started P.T. 2 times a day, more sometimes. the vets showed me how to do all of that, plus we invented some. still they didn't think he would walk. then thanks to this site, i started water therapy in my bathtub 3 times a week. well if you could see this dog run and play you would be as amazed as both his vets are now.. he is still not completely normal as before, no jumping. but he moves like the wind. also he wouldn't eat much while he was healing. i made sure he drank a lot tho. he couldn't lift his head much at first either. carolyn, if vet thinks you can, bring him home, crate rest him to heal. tell them to show you how to empty bladder, bowels and all the exercises he needs.
you might be surprized like me . i don't express cricket's bladder, he hated that. i use touch method. i hold him, use damp towel on his wee wee , vet said i must be making a nerve work, cause he emptys bladder completely.
and just today, vet thinks theres a chance he might be getting deep pain back.
all weekend i been pinching him when he wasn't looking and he pulls feet back and growls at me.
that is 9 months after surgery, so there is always hope.
of course my boy is small, 10 pounds, and you have a large one. but i believe they can recover enough to live great lives. a lot of people here has their dogs in carts and they use them well. there are a lot of us here with paralyzed dogs, and we are here for you.
of course i am no vet, i can only tell you what i went through and still am. but i cried and cried, didn't think i could do all this, take care of him, but low and behold, i have my cricket and he won't give up!
you and your baby are in my prayers. please keep us informed. hope i helped some. ask anything, if we can , we will advise.

hugs,

connie and cricket
Carolyn

Post by Carolyn »

Dear Murphy's Dad...You immediately recognized my cry for help this past Monday morning...I was overwhelmed with the thought of caring for my handicapped pet...Your encouragement and the responses of others assured me that Willow's future was bright. Monday afternoon, however, I received a call from my vet...Willow had developed breathing problems and her rib cage had paralyzed...I brought her home Tuesday morning and buried her at my home...I miss her more than words can say...Thank you for responding to me...You have no idea how much good you are doing for others like me who have no "clue" what to do next...Thank you...Carolyn
Ginny Potterveld

Post by Ginny Potterveld »

Please accept my sympathy in Willow's loss. You did all you could and now Willow is at peace.
Ginny
Dee

Post by Dee »

Carolyn, I am so very heartfeld sorry for your loss of your Willow. It will be hard for you for a very long time. We lost our beautiful Spitz at age 16 and our beagle mix loveable sweet baby is almost 16 and cannot walk (back legs) due to disk degenerative problems. Now she is losing use of a front leg which help support her to stand to eat and drink and urinate. We are fast approaching that time to make a decision as she is not doing well right now. Her brain function is so good but her little body is going. I am glad to have seen your post if only to make me feel that having surgery may not have helped. Due to her age, we opted not to and not a guaranteed thing for her condition. We can only do our best and hope. I know I would have chosen surgery to give her that chance to walk again if she had been younger as yours was...although at 7 we thought ours was "old". May your memories sustain you in this long journey of healing your heart. Special Hugs, Dee