Other: Marco~ Polo

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Mary and Roxy

Other: Marco~ Polo

Post by Mary and Roxy »

Two weeks ago I bought one of those 3 foot by 18 foot above ground pools. Its been so hot out here and hub gets irked when I turn off the heater to the spa so Roxy and I can get in to do her "swimming lessons".
She seams to enjoy the pool but you can tell she's happy when its time to get out..Today were in the pool for about 10 min's. I put her out and decided to stay in a while and just float on a raft..While I was floating (day dreaming that I was in Hawaii ;o) I heard a splash.. I turned around expecting to find hubby doing something HE would consider funny.. only to find he wasn't around and Roxy was swimming over to me..I couldn't believe it. that meant she jumped up the 3 foot to jump in the pool.( every time she would even look like she was gonna try jumping ide stop her) she swam over to my raft and just put her front paws on it kinda hanging on..I picked her up and was carrying her to the side to put her out of the pool she put her front paws out like she didn't want to get out.. so I grabbed another raft and sat her on it to float around with me. I closed my eyes ( and was pretending to be in Hawaii again) when I heard another splash. Roxy had jumped off the raft and was at the side of the pool balancing on all fours on the top of the pool then jumped down.. I was afraid to look over the side and see what I was gonna see but what I saw was a dog standing there shaking the water off, then she went and pottyed and was going to try to jump back in the pool..She seams to be just fine. is walking the same..I'm scared she will hurt herself..but then again we did all this so she could have a happy life...And to think I was considering putting her down just cuz her hind end wanted to take a month or so off.
To any of you wondering if you should try to help them get better the answer is YESSSSS. Sure there's plenty of bad days, but the good days outweigh all the Rest

Mary and one REALLY grateful next olympic Winner Roxy
Dianne

Great News, Mary !!! *NoMsg*

Post by Dianne »

Christine

Re: Other: Marco~ Polo

Post by Christine »

What a precious story to wake up to! I am so happy for you. What kind of dog is Roxy? Tell Roxy to keep up the good work.

Love,

Christine and Bailey
Friend2Dogs

Post by Friend2Dogs »

GREAT news I am soooo Happy for you!!!!
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Wooooo Hooooo Yipeeeeeeeeeeeee *doing the happy dance* Wonderful!
This is just awesome.
Now...no jumping , and I would limit her walking/running. That back is still healing, but continue with that water therapy! Wooo Hooo! I love happy endings :D
Cindi
Mary and Roxy

Post by Mary and Roxy »

Hi..Christine
Roxy is a cocker spaniel and something else mix (pound puppy) In April one day her back legs didn't work and had no deep pain. I couldn't afford the surgery and Vet advised me to put her down cuz she would never walk again.. I came home and hopped on the computer and found this web site.. It literally saved her life.With all the help from these WONDERFUL people I decided to give it a try, It took 5 weeks of crate rest before I saw any kind of improvement. I was ready to give up many times.( I wasn't strong enough to do all I was being advised to do) With all the words of encouragement and a video I saw of Connies dog walking. I kept plugging away and low and behold she's up and walking again.. A couple weeks ago again out of the blue her hind legs stopped working again but a few days of crate rest got her up and going again.. I noticed today she's walking with her tail held high.. normally its always down, not between her legs but down. ANDDDD she's been scratching her ears. She could scratch them for a while now but you could tell it was a weak scratch, today its a good hard scratch..
One HaPPy momma here Mary
Mary and Roxy

Post by Mary and Roxy »

Thanks and a wet slurp from roxy ;o>~
Mary and Roxy

Post by Mary and Roxy »

Hi Cindi
Im soooooooooooo proud of her shes a fighter.. Shes lots stronger then I am..
Question?.. how long do I keep her from doing things? She acts like she can do things but I stop her from doing them.. If she haddent jumped in the pool behind my back I would never have let her try jumping, When shes out back she starts running around but I dont let her run the way shes wanting to run..She used to love runing REALLY fast and turning quick. I feel like the evil stepmother not letting her run like I know she thinks she can.. Thanks Mary and Roxy ;o>~
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

How long since her incident began? It has been 4 years since Hunter's first episode/surgery, and I still don't let him climb stairs or jump on anything. IVDD and disc/spinal problems can reoccur at any time, and the idea is to stave them off to the best of our ability while still allowing for them to enjoy their normal activities. Personally, I say after a back injury, stairs and jumping should be no no's for the rest of their lives. Hunter, Misty, and Sage have all been retrained not to jump and to wait for me to take stairs. Oscar can't jump so it isn't an issue with my wheelie boy. Good grief there I go getting long winded again LOL...how long since the episode started?
Cindi
Mary and Roxy

Post by Mary and Roxy »

I dont even wanna tell ya now how long its been.
She went down April 8th this year.. Ive got her trained ( ha hub says its her that has me trained) to wait to be put on bed and taken off.. I did have a ramp next to the couch where she always sat. It took me a week to get her to use it. and not 2 days later she was useing it to lets say, TROT fast, up it. Then get her front paws up on the couch back to be barking at anything.. I do mean ANYTHING.. By the 3rd day she had trotted up the ramp then jumped on the top of the back of the couch layde down on the top like she always used to. And proceded to make up for ALLLL the barks she haddent been able to do because she was grounded..Needless to say the ramp is gone. Now when she gets up on the couch its with one of her furless family.. Ive got her to where when she wants up now I say assume the possition, she walks up close and if she has to turns around cuz shes always on the left of me and im a lefty.. she spreads her legs and waites to be lifted.. i say the same thing to her for the bed..Its our new trick ;o)..Thanks the answer was what i figured it was gonna be.. ha ha talk about long winded... Mary
connie

Post by connie »

wheeeeeeee, way to go roxy!! been thinking of getting cricket a pool, but so far tub is great.
mary i am so happy for you both. what surprises our kids have in store for us huh? lol . wish i could've seen that. if i mention bath, cricket runs, but let me fill tub up and throw in toys and he get all a tremble with joy, thinks he's part duck. lol

hugs,

connie and cricket