Other: To all those Who Post!

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Cindidoxiemom

Other: To all those Who Post!

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Please, Please, Please follow up with us. We WANT to know if you and your wee furry ones are ok. We NEED to know if you have seen our posts and have read them. We worry when we don't hear from you. We DO think of your animals and pray for them. So, PLEASE let us know! We will offer support and our advice based on our experiences. It may or may not be what you wanted to hear, but it is given with love, experience and a sincere desire to help you and your animal.
Sincerely,
Cindi
Sage, Misty, Hunter and Oscar Mayer Weenie Wheelie dog
Mary and Roxy

Re: Other: To all those Who Post!

Post by Mary and Roxy »

Soooo true.. I posted a few times just knowing everyone was gonna be as happy as I was about what ever it was Roxy was doing. To be hit with a few " rain on my parade" reply posts. But it was those posts that kept me grounded and Roxy getting even better.. I love this site.. Hub gets tired of me telling him all ive read that day on here.. and calls it my faceless family.. Hes SO Right.. Mary
Vanessa

Re: Other: To all those Who Post! update on Miss Mabellline

Post by Vanessa »

Hi everyone:

I had posted about four weeks ago about my five month old bulldog puppy, Mabelline. She had rear leg weakness and was ultimately diagnosed with five hemivertebrae in her thoracic spine, which were impinging on her spinal cord.

I have to say (knock on wood) that Mabelline is doing MUCH better now. At the time I posted, she could barely walk and that idiot of a vet told me she'd never improve and that I should consider putting her to sleep. That is one thing that I have learned through this board and through my experience with Mabelline - it is so important to follow your own instincts. I would never have put her to sleep. But I followed up with a physical rehabilitation vet who gave me physical therapy to do at home with her, including swimming her and putting her on the yoga ball to strengthen her rear legs. Beth from this website also introduced me to a friend of hers who had a french bulldog with the same exact diagnosis as Mabelline. She gave me some great advice about physical therapy and things I could do to strengthen Mabelline's back and legs so that at least she had a chance of retaining use of her rear legs. She still has some weakness and walks with a funny gait, but she walks and runs and plays and is so happy. If she remained this way for the rest of her life, I'd be estatic.

I remember when I posted here, I was so upset and my hopes for her were crushed by the negativity that vet gave me. I had resigned myself to the fact that Mabelline would eventually be paralyzed in her rear legs. But my instincts told me that there had to be something to at least TRY other than to let her languish. When I asked that vet about rehabilitation for her, she just sort of laughed and told me to forget about it. I am so glad to have found this group; I know others of you have encountered the same thing.

Thanks,
Vanessa
connie

Post by connie »

way to go vanessa!! yes vets don't always know. i have been blessed with two that support me. but i was also told to not get hopes up. cricket is showing them a thing or two now. lol
so very glad your baby is doing so well. thanks for letting us know. i agree with the others, it is nice to hear how they are. so many have posted then never returned. the pets are always on my mind. good luck to you, hope you see improvement every day like i do,=. miracles do happen, i have a living proof laying here on keyboard now, cricket!

hugs,

connie and cricket
Rita

Post by Rita »

Cindi,

I'm so glad you posted what you did today!!! Often I have looked for updates on animals that I've worried about and been disappointed that their humans haven't followed through with information for us. We must be the sort of individuals who wear our hearts on our sleeves and care alot about those faceless fur-babies that people write about, or else we wouldn't be here posting all the time! So I do hope people who have told us their stories and asked questions and have not followed up will do so! Thanks for saying what was on my mind, Cindi.

Rita
Rita

Post by Rita »

I'm still waiting to find out what "huffing" is!
marilynb

Post by marilynb »

I am writing in regards to Wally,my paralized dachound he actually walked 2 steps the other week and stood on his rear legs to eat his supper the other night but since then he doesn't walk or stand now. He still uses his wheels and I still do therapy with him every night. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Marilyn
BethT

Post by BethT »

Hi Vanessa,

I'm so glad you posted an update. This can be so inspirational to so many people who are told by their vets to put their beloved pet down. I just want to point out that you are now the resident expert on hemivertebrae. I have only seen a couple of people post about it and I always call Anna for help. So now you can never leave because you have to be here for the next poor person who is looking for advice about hemivertebrae after being told that there is nothing that can be done and you may just want to put your dog down now. You go girl! Beth
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Keep doing the therapy...try adding acupuncture and water therapy. You need to make him stand by placing his feet and trying to get him to balance. Keep at it...the fact that he CAN stand is very very good...
Keep up your great work with Wally!
Hugs,
Cindi
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Thank you for updating us on Mabeline. I hope you stick around and help others who come here in the future. We need people who have had success to share their stories with the newbies! Thanks again!
Cindi
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Beth:
I have you to thank for that! When I talked to you, I was very pessimistic. I made the mistake of letting that vet choose my outlook. No more!

Miss Mabelline has just come in from a half an hour of attacking the sprinkler with Romey! They are two soaking wet bulldogs!

I am hoping you are healing. It takes time, no getting around that. You know, maybe Speck is hanging out with my old bully boy, Roger. The only contact he had with a cat in life resulted in him getting whacked in his big flat nose! Perhaps Speck is showing him the lighter side of the felines. They are all so precious.

Peace,
Vanessa