Dogs: Abby

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
Heather

Dogs: Abby

Post by Heather »

On April 1,2005,our 5 month old Golden Retriever was struck by a pick up truck in front of our house(she snuck out when my husband let the cat out)--she lost use of her left front leg--the vet figures her paw went under the wheel and she jerked--causing the nerves to be severed from her spinal column--at that thime I had written to this site--I couldn't imagine how she would ever function and be happy without the use of her leg--I recieved a couple of encouraging replies and after reading the stories posted, soon realized that Abby's problem was small compared to some. We waited for 4 months to see if she got any movement back at all,but she didn't--she was managing well with her other 3 legs--last July we made the decision to have the leg amputated as it was in her way, and we were battling sores that were developing from her leg being drug on the ground--she breezed through the surgery(we had a much harder time I swear) and is doing abolutely everything she did before--runs 4 to 5 miles a day with me-swims and chases the geese in our lake--even hops up and down and digs holes!!!She is a happy, sweet,dog and has become somewhat of a celebrity in our small town--everyone knows of the dog from Rockville Lake with 3 legs and are amazed at how well she does!!!! My computer has been down since last fall, so I thought I'd just update you and thank you for your support especially when the accident first occured--I thought it was the end of the world!!!
Stephanie

Re: Dogs: Abby

Post by Stephanie »

Oh Heather, that is wonderful news!! That is the type of news that we love around here. You have just initiated yourself into the family here, simply by sharing your story and by doing so, you have offered encouragement to someone else that will go through this. It's amazing how well the three leggers do, right? I just adopted Missy, she was hit by a train in April and also lost her front leg, including the shoulder socket and we could not be happier. We adopted her to be "bestest friends" with our other handicap Tama, who had a spinal stroke. Unfortunately, Tama passed away last week due to a horrific accident. Missy was sad, but we have Monty now. Monty is our new baby shepherd and Missy is wagging her tail again and running laps in our yard. She is full of spirit again and missing a limb certainly does not hold her back. I just saw her dig for the first time the other day and what a sight that is!! So I can truly enjoy the vision of your baby girl enjoying the finer things in life, such as swimming, running and digging. Making the decision to amputate was the best thing for her obviously, she has to get around much better!!

Stephanie Missy, Monty
Forever Tama
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Heather,
What a wonderful ending to your story! I am so glad you have returned to share Abby's story. Pupper doodles are just amazing creatures arn't they? I can just pictue Abby chasing those geese! We have many who come here with their animals facing amputation. You are an expert now, and we could really use your expertise to help others! I hope you and Abby will stay and post!
Hugs,
Cindi
connie

Post by connie »

bless you, so glad you posted update. and i am thrilled abby is doing so well. our pets amaze us.
wouldn't it be grand if us humans could take a lesson from them? i don't know if i could take all my little cricket has gone through. i wish your furbaby great recovery and health. she's lucky to have you.

hugs,

connie and cricket