Help Needed: info on heat strokes

This is an archive of previous forum messages.
jaque

Help Needed: info on heat strokes

Post by jaque »

i recently moved to a new area and met my neighbors. they had a litter of puppies that were born healthy. a few days later the mother dog (a black lab) brought one of the pups and put her on the porch. it seems that something has happened and the pup seems paralyzed on one side. she can barely walk, but she doesnt seem to be in any pain. she eats and drinks normally, she is very sweet pup and doesnt really seem to notice that she cant walk well. i was wondering if this is a sign of heat stroke? or if maybe something else happened... any ideas?
Christy Mullady

Re: Help Needed: info on heat strokes

Post by Christy Mullady »

Jaque, I tried to find sites that dealt primarily with puppy paralysis to at least provide some ideas. Basically, most of them say you should obtain an MRI (or at least an xray) to see what the problem might be. However, there was one site I was on that suggested that if either parent has Canine Hip Displaysia, this CAN be genetically passed down - even showing up in puppies. Another suggests testing for Sugar Diabetes. Hope you get some real help - both through this board and from your vet. Perhaps the pup was injured - maybe from a fall or even something heavy on him - this could have caused some disk problems resulting in the dragging of the leg (I have that myself from nerve damage from disk problems), so I guess the possibilities are as they seem - endless. Good luck - to you and to this little baby!

http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dmri.html "A: "In a puppy this young, particularly a pug, the number one rule out would be hydrocephalus (water on the brain). It is necessary to do an MRI or CT scan to diagnose this definitively. Due to the cost (about $850) most people won't do this for a puppy. Sometimes there are physical signs that make it more likely, like open fontanelles, strabismus (one eye looking in a different direction from the other one) and lethargy or dullness. Sometimes seizures are the only sign. Other causes of seizuring in puppies this young include meningitis/encephalitis problems (like distemper virus infection), liver disorders (especially liver shunts -- circulatory problems with neonatal circulation), intestinal parasites, hypoglycemia and trauma. Birth may be traumatic enough in the short nosed breeds to lead to seizures even if it seemed to go OK. A good physical exam and labwork to rule out sytemic or organ disease and intestinal parasites should be done in puppy this young with seizures. If the lab work checks out normally it may be necessary to treat the seizures without firmly establishing the cause.
Mike Richards, DVM"

http://www.dachshund-dca.org/discbook.html Scroll down to find Thoracolumbar Disk Herniation and you'll see symptoms are dragging their hind limb toes. Surgery may be required, but they'll know with MRI results. Depending on the length of time before surgery and the amount of damage done - surgery could free up the nerves and he could be fine. Waiting too long can diminish that possibility (that's what happened to me), and/or keeping the pup quiet and resting might help in a few days too - depends on what the real problem is. This site deals heavily with the Disks and Spine - so you might want to check it out.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... icleid=860 "Juvenile Onset Diabetes Mellitus (Sugar Diabetes"
jaque

Post by jaque »

thank you christy for your response. she is a black lab rottweiler mix puppy and i know that labs are known for hip displaysia. i am not sure exactly what happened to her, all i know is in us a stroke can cause you to lose use of your whole side, which is what is wrong with my pup. i thought about euthanasia because she cant hardly walk, but she seems to be getting better with each day. i put the euthanasia idea to rest this morning she was sitting up normally and then she jumped up on the side of her box and stood straight up to greet me. she couldnt even stand up on her own when i got her a few days ago. i am going to take her to the vet asap. i will repost when i know what is wrong so that others can refer to it. Thanks again!
Christy Mullady

Post by Christy Mullady »

Well it sounds as if whatever the problem WAS - isn't a real problem now - that's great! Maybe he just needed some personal attention - maybe he's a 'middle child-pup'! I hope it's taking care of itself - I guess his mom knew where to take him!
Carol T.

Post by Carol T. »

Jaque:
I hope the pup continues to improve, but even if he doesn't, dogs don't have to be euthanized because they have problems walking. Many of us on this bb have dogs in that situation. There are many alternatives. Some have improved over time, some with acupuncture. Some people use walking supports to assist their dogs, and some of us have dogs in wheelchairs. I have one of those!! If you scroll down far enough you will see Deepika's story about her puppy, Robby. Three vets recommended euthanasia because he couldn't walk. He now has a wheelchair and is a much loved, happy little guy!!!